Drying salamis/chorizo in garden shed.

Introductions and chatter

Drying salamis/chorizo in garden shed.

Postby suripitamela » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:29 am

Hi,

I live in Dublin and have a 10 x 6 wood garden shed(brand new and well insulated) and am planning to start drying some salamis, been measuring the humidity and temperature daily for a few days and it varies from 14 C to 23 C/50 % to 80 depending on the time of the day. So although, it's not perfect yet I am not far from what I need if I can make it stable at around 15 C / 75 % humidity.

Any suggestions or tips? I looked at the dehumidifier below which seems a good option to make sure humidity levels don't go above certain level.. but what if I need more humidity? I read about some units that are a Combo that humifies and dehumidifies depending on the needs but those are way out of my current budget

Ecoair DD122FW SIMPLE 7L Desiccant Dehumidifier with Rotary Humidistat

Thanks
suripitamela
Newly Registered

Re: Drying salamis/chorizo in garden shed.

Postby NCPaul » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:25 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D I would recommend that you might try these instead:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12580
Working with sheep casings allows you to use your oven for fermentation and your fridge for drying. You'll have a wide range of conditions that are tolerated and you'll get a feel for making salami with low cash input and rapid results. I use this to develop salami recipes that I will later make on a larger scale and on a longer time frame. Your shed conditions are such that all we could say is maybe.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:22 pm

If you can't get the shed to constant temperature below 15°C, I'd forget it. Above that risks Staph. Aureus, which is really nasty. Even River Cottage (HFW) have moved away from the 'hanging meat in a tree' style of curing.

Aim for 12°C for drying. This will need some form of refrigeration in Eire, unless you have a cellar. But, it'll be worth it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby suripitamela » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:53 am

Thank you both, I'll update when I have some results in a month or so :-)
suripitamela
Newly Registered

Return to Chatter