Stuffer Advice required

Introductions and chatter

Stuffer Advice required

Postby TonyE » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi Folks

I am currently using a sausage stuffer I bought from Northern tools several years ago, it is a vertical loader with plastic filler tubes. I like to use Sheeps casing but they very difficult to fit onto the smallest plastic filler tube. The other slightly annoying thing is that it leaves a small amount of sausage meat at the bottom of the cylinder.

I am considering buying the Pro 3L Horizontal stuffer from this site, as it comes with stainless steel tubes from 16mm to 38mm. Does the horizontal stuffer leave any sausage meat in the cylinder???

Apart from the amount of space the horizontal stuffer takes up, does anybody have any preferences i.e. Vertical Stuffer v Horizontal stuffer???

Thanks for your time people
TonyE
Registered Member

Re: Stuffer Advice required

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:19 pm

I've always used a vertical stuffer and treated the bit that's left as a perk - Scotch eggs or sausage rolls. Having never used a horizontal one, I can't say I prefer a vertical, but it's what I'm used to.
Metal filler tubes (straight) may solve the sheep's casing problem.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby sevorg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi Tony, I have the Pro V 3L stuffer and mine leaves no meat in the cylinder. The only leftovers are in the 90 degree elbow and the nozzle. So I would expect the horizontal version to also empty the cylinder and leave you with only the material in the nozzle. I empty my nozzle with the handle of a wooden spoon if I feel I need the extra material to finish a whole sausage, otherwise as has been said, the residue is a perk. We either freeze it for sausage rolls at Christmas or treat it as the first opportunity to get a taste of a new recipe.

I did consider the horizontal machine myself but was persuaded by the lovely lady I spoke to to go with the vertical as it gives the option to make black pud in the future. Hope this is of some help.
sevorg
Registered Member

Postby TonyE » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Thanks for that sevorg

I guess if I could find stainless steel filler tubes that would go with my stuffer it would solve the problem with using sheeps casings, unfortunately the S.S. tubes I have looked at do not fit.......If I could find some that do fit, I would probably stick with the stuffer I have, and put up with the fact that there is a bit of mince at the bottom of the stuffer. If I decide to buy another stuffer that comes with S.S. tubes it will probably be from this site, as I really do not trust some of the cheaper things on e-bay imported from CH***

Thanks for your reply appreciate your time

T
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:22 pm

Tony, Do realise that nearly 100% of sausage stuffers/fillers and mincers are manufactured in China. Both of mine are and have used them without any troubles for about 7 years now. Before you buy any of them,
share the info on the Forum for some advise from other members. It will stop you buying junk!!!!
AND pay with PayPal, you can get reimbursed rather quickly if you bought a cat in a bag and the seller refuses to do anything about it. Cheers Mate!!
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:36 pm

TonyE what diameter is the stuffer end of your tube that joins the machine Tony.

(If you knew how many times I've rewritten that you'd be amazed)
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby TonyE » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:32 am

Hi wheels

There is a plastic screw, the nozzle goes through the plastic screw, which then screws onto the body of the stuffer. The plastic screw has an internal diameter of 38mm / 40mm if the flange of the stuffer tube was about 38mm that should be fine. It is a hobby stuffer, hence it is quite small

Sorry for not answering your question directly but I have e-mailed a number of suppliers they have come back with length and tube diameter (which is not the issue) but not given me the info I have requested, slightly frustrating!!!

Thanks for your reply - T
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:16 pm

Ah, it's just that there were some 52mm ones on Weschenfelders.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby TonyE » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:31 am

Hi wheels

I did look at the Weschenfelders site, thought they would be perfect, until Rob at Wesch... informed me that they were 52mm - ohhh well - I think most of the stainless steel tubes are made for larger stuffers.
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:57 pm

I'm afraid I can't offer any comfort. It's too big for the 1¼ inch ones in the US. When I had one, I got a mate to make me some, and he's done the same with my 52mm suffer. Regrettably, he's now retired so I can't even volunteer his services. Maybe you could find a local engineer with a lathe who could oblige? Or even a welder with some pipe and some imagination?

Sorry to be so negative.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby TonyE » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:01 am

Thanks Phil

I think you may be right, I might have to find somebody to make one

Thanks for your comments

Tony
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby SteveW » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:18 am

I get about 200gms left in the elbow of my vertical stuffer. I normally just soak 2 or 3 slices of bread until mushy, put that in the stuffer and fill till the bread starts to come out into the casings. No waste then.
SteveW
Registered Member

Postby TonyE » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:32 am

Hi Steve W

That is a great idea, will try that next time

Regards - T
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:00 pm

SteveW wrote:I get about 200gms left in the elbow of my vertical stuffer. I normally just soak 2 or 3 slices of bread until mushy, put that in the stuffer and fill till the bread starts to come out into the casings. No waste then.

...and deny myself the Scotch Egg? Nah! I don't think so! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Chatter