Is this the Holy Grail of Bacon Curing:

Introductions and chatter

Postby MikeD » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:06 pm

The headline of an article in a national newspaper today (30/12/2017) states "Cancer - free bacon is here...thanks to UK breakthrough." The article goes on to claim that British bacon could soon be free from cancer-causing chemicals thanks to a scientific breakthrough. Nitrite free bacon will soon appear on supermarket shelves under the brand name 'Naked Bacon' produced by Northern Irish food manufacturer Finnebrogue, who claim that their product will be completely free of nitrites, E-numbers and allergens. The Chairman of Finnebrogue, Denis Lynn, went on record to say, "Nitrites should not be in any food. This is the biggest revolution to the British breakfast for a generation."
The article goes into a considerable amount of detail about the breakthrough and also contains observations about the WHO conclusions in 2015 relating to processed meat and the carcinogenic compounds in the body caused by nitrites.
I personally look forward with interest to see the developments in this sphere, as although I wish to cure my own bacon, and have already been successful with my first attempt, am not entirely comfortable with the nitrite content of cures. I shall continue to follow future articles on the subject. Can I also take the opportunity to wish all forum readers and administrators, a "Happy New Year"
MikeD
Registered Member

Re: Is this the Holy Grail of Bacon Curing:

Postby wheels » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:08 pm

I'm keeping an open mind. The blurb says various things, many of which are clever plays on words. Things like no chemical nitrates etc. Personally I don't see how you can have a fruit based product without nitrate that is still natural, but I'll wait to read more.
Of course it's a fantastic business ploy.
Funnily enough it changes nothing; the WHO said all processed food is cancer causing and that would include this I assume.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby MikeD » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:50 am

Yes, I too await developments with interest, as an aside I have contacted a potential UK supplier of the said additive to ask for details and look forward to analysing the content to see what exactly the wonder break through is composed of.
I did look at the curing product that they were currently selling and the list of ingredients included E250, so they still market the nitrite content cure.
It appears that although hailed as a UK breakthrough, the nitrite/nitrate free curing mix was developed by a Spanish company, can we therefore expect the chorizo and jamon iberico makers to be doing somersaults of joy anytime soon!!
MikeD
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:24 pm

Interesting, I wonder if it is nitrite cured but then treated to remove residual nitrite?

Happy New Year Mike :D
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby MikeD » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:34 pm

I have absolutely no idea how the bacon is cured and am hoping that I may eventually receive a reply from the product supplier that I emailed, who may enlighten me as to its ingredient make up, as and when that appears I will certainly post it for everyone to digest, and a Happy New Year to you too, regards Mike
MikeD
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:07 pm

Many thanks Mike. A Happy New Year to you too.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby MikeD » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:57 am

Update on the "Holy Grail."
I received a reply from Scobies Junor regarding my enquiry relating to the nitrite free dry bacon cure, and it seems that they were involved in some development of the product, but are now no longer involved and thus cannot provide me with a sample. I have replied to thank them for responding and asked if they can possibly give me any indication who is now involved, I know that the company marketing it are Spanish, but nothing more, so I am afraid you will have to continue to watch this space as I continue my enquiries......
MikeD
Registered Member

Postby MikeD » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:14 am

This is the Company marketing the nitrite/salt/E numbers free bacon, it seems that the Spanish chemist involved in discovering the "Holy Grail" uses a combination of Mediterranean fruits in the formula to create bacon that supposedly tastes like normal dry cured bacon and also has the same shelf life! I am still on the case, but somehow think that whatever the healthy option is, it will not be for sale on the shelves for the home curer any time soon.
http://www.finnebrogue.com/naked/
MikeD
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:19 pm

My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:43 pm

The packaging for M & S says: "No added Nitrates" apparently. That's a lot different to "No Nitrates"

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby MikeD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:54 am

Thank you kimgary, I read the information through, but am now perplexed as to Scobies response to me implying that they were no longer involved with the project, it seems they are involved to the degree that they even give the quantities that the cure is supplied in. It really does seem to be a case of an attempt to baffle the layman with science though, to understand all that is printed would take hours of analysis, and even then I doubt I would be any the wiser, and given the response from Phil regarding the M & S packaging and how it reads relating to no added, as opposed to no nitrates, I really do think it is a case of an attempt to pull the wool over the public's eyes.
I suppose we only have to cast our minds back to the initial response to the BSE crisis where an attempt was made to dumb down the true implications, and when we were given the full facts, and did we really get the whole truth anyway, it turned out to be a classic example of an attempted cover up of scientifically known facts that directly affected the public's health and wellbeing.
Is this latest discovery therefore, yet another attempt to play on the consumers concerns about the implications involved in the use of nitrites/nitrates in food production, most especially bacon in this example.
I still await a response from Finnebrogue the Company marketing this, in their words "Holy Grail" of bacon, watch this space.............
MikeD
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:14 pm

Isnt the problem with nitrates becoming nitrites and nitrosamines a part of heating nitrates and protein at high heat.
Gut acids also produce them.
We consume far more nitrates in vegetables than in cured meats but there isnt the combination of high heat and protein to cause the creation of nitrosamines
Foods which have been shown to contain volatile nitrosamines include cured meats, primarily cooked bacon; beer; some cheeses; non-fat dry milk; and sometimes fish.

Try to eat vegetables and fruits which are high in antioxidants, vitamin C and phytochemicals and have shown significant protection against cancer by blocking nitrosamine formation

http://www.eatingforenergy.com/nitrates ... trosamine/

Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and researchers have found that when it is taken at the same time as a meal with processed meat, like pizza or bacon, it can limit nitrosamine formation in your stomach.
https://www.healthambition.com/processe ... es-cancer/
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:43 pm

I agree. The veg have a built in protection.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Snags » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:11 am

So they will add vitamin C to the cure
Its a natural preservative anyhow (anti oxidant)

Ascorbic acid neutralizes oxygen when it comes into contact with it.
Oxygen allows foods to continue to ripen, an aging process similar to the one people go through that ends in death.
Oxygen is also vital for many microorganisms to thrive, some of which cause decay.
Ascorbic acid slows or neutralizes these events.
The substance blocks cured meat’s propensity to form carcinogens called nitrosamines, for example.
In the process, the vitamin also preserves the flesh’s red color. In addition, ascorbic acid preserves flavor.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4969 ... servative/
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby MikeD » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:45 pm

Since my last post when I wrote to the company producing and marketing bacon without using nitrates/nitrites I have now received their reply to my question. What do you use in their place? The reply is reproduced below:-
Thank you for taking the time to email us regarding our Naked range. We confirm that our Naked ranges does not contain any allergens listed under the EU legislation. Our packaging refers to ‘natural flavouring’ in the ingredients list, this is derived from fruit and spice extracts. We hope this helps in and you can enjoy our Naked Bacon, Ham and Sausages.
So in essence it has taken since the 7th January until today the 8th March to respond to my question. What is being used instead of nitrites/nitrates in the bacon curing process to receive the above vague reply, which does not fill me with confidence that they have somehow developed what I have referred to as the "Holy Grail" of bacon curing.
MikeD
Registered Member

Next

Return to Chatter