Help me with my Dog

Introductions and chatter

Help me with my Dog

Postby leiathepricess » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:34 am

I want to know your thoughts about this electric pet fence that I found online. Will it be a good alternative to the traditional fence? How does the shock collar system of this product work?
leiathepricess
Registered Member

Re: Help me with my Dog

Postby CopperBB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:06 pm

WOW! within my first minute after joining the forum to ask for help with sausages, the first thing I click on is the chatter link to introduce myself and I find at the top "help with my dog". me being a dog person and a lover of hotdogs, I think to myself "I can't go wrong here" click!

long story short, this fence works!

short story longer- we keep healers, or Australian cattle dogs. my wife found one at the pound and brought a full grown male home, maybe a year old and totally untrained. she loved him and he absolutely worshiped her. he was easy to potty train and a sinch to leash break but if my wife left and I wasn't around he would jump the fence like it wasn't there to go look for her, the neighbors said "nothing but net", "he doesn't even touch it" so he developed the habit of 'visiting' this little old woman a few blocks away (quite the lady's man) and she'd call the number on his tags and I'd have to leave work to go gather him up. after amendments to the fence failed to contain him and the pricing of 6 foot chain link and cedar privacy fence dissuaded us from upgrading, we found that the invisible fence was worth a try. we reasoned that even if it doesn't work we aren't out the thousands a fence upgrade would be that he may be able climb too.

so the thing is that you MUST do the flags and training consistently, Do not skimp on it, it doesn't cost you anything but time and it makes all the difference. As far as healers go, our problem dog is more handsome and charming than he is smart and he figured it out pretty quickly, the audible warning emitted by his collar became sufficient warning to keep him away from the fence.

the way it works is an insulated copper conductor wire is strung along the outside of your yard, a signal is constantly transmitted through the conductor that activates the collar on the dog, when the collar is close to the conductor a beeping proceeds an electric shock that has an adjustable intensity. the collar had two steel electrodes that contact the dogs neck, the electrodes come with two rubber bumper caps that prevent shock during the training period.

training works like this, you establish a visual perimeter with a bundle of white flags that come with your fence. you place flags every couple of feet all along the outside of your yard, along the same line as the conductor. you put the collar on the dog with rubber insulators on the electrodes. and walk the dog about in the yard. as the dog nears the flags and conductor, the collar beeps. YOU THEN back the dog away from the flags. walk about in the interior of yard and let that sink in for a few minutes. repeat the flag approach/retreat lesson several times in several locations,repeat this daily, the lesson is that a flag means beeping, beeping means backing away, after a couple of days or so depending on the dog and the trainer, this lesson should be clear to the dog , next remove the bumpers. This time the dog should already be in the habit of BACKING UP away from the flags when it hears the beep, is so let dog linger in the beeping zone. a Slight shock will be felt. this beeping/shock association won't need the repetition that flag/beeping association did. and that is about it.

problems we had with this thing were few, but worth mentioning. first I had a hard time remembering to put the collar on before I left. the block headed dog figured out that no collar means no beep which means no zap.

second is that I buried the conductor to deep at one of the gates, so the collar only activates if he is head down sniffing and the receiver is under his chin and not on the back of his neck.

third there is a narrow walkway between one side of our house and our rose bushes and the dog would have had to navigate this narrow corridor shoulder against the wall to not activate the collar, he never figured that out, rather he determined that the entire south side of the house was a beeping zone and he decided he'd never set foot there again. and he hasn't. and we haven't needed to put the collar on him for over two years. I figure he only had to have it on for six months or less to break him of the habit of jumping the fence. probably would've taken less if I had remembered to put his collar back on when I left.
CopperBB
Newly Registered

Return to Chatter