Anyone heard of a South African "Russian" sausage

Introductions and chatter

Anyone heard of a South African "Russian" sausage

Postby royt » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:50 am

A South African friend keeps asking if I could make him a sausage that they used to call a "Russian". When I asked him what was in it he really couldn't give any information about it only to say it was nice :roll: Has anyone any ideas on this sausage?
royt
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:59 am

Hi Royt,

From what I can find out, it appears to be similar to a Polish Kielbasa sausage but without the smoking.

Try this recipe http://lesleycooks.tripod.com/sausage/russian.htm or this http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/18484/russian-sausage.html

Or of course failing all else just Google it as I did!

Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby Heather » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:30 pm

As someone from SA, I agree that the Polish Kielbasa is a pretty close approximation, but I always thought that "Russians" were smoked too. They certainly have a distinctive flavour.
Heather
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:32 pm

I'd say its alot like a saveloy - coloured red and available in every fish-and-chip shop in S.A. Russian and Chips is about as common as a battered sausage and chips is in the UK.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Zulululu » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:16 pm

Hi,
I am also having a problem was going to post the same question.What I do know is that it is a beef pork mix, savory and pepper are the highlights. The meat is cut into small cubes spiced then split into two equal batches one batch is then finely minced and mixed with the cubes and stuffed .And yes they are smoked I reciently came accross some " fresh" ones but did not taste nearly the same . Will post what ever else I find out.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:17 am

They are here as well:http://funkymunky.co.za/meat3.html , scroll to the bottom of the page. Looks like a nice website for homesick South Africans if you check out the homepage!

Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby Rob12 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:18 am

Zulululu wrote:Hi,
I am also having a problem was going to post the same question.What I do know is that it is a beef pork mix, savory and pepper are the highlights. The meat is cut into small cubes spiced then split into two equal batches one batch is then finely minced and mixed with the cubes and stuffed .And yes they are smoked I reciently came accross some " fresh" ones but did not taste nearly the same . Will post what ever else I find out.

I know this thread is going back aways but I am going to try and make the Russian sausages over the next two days. There seems to be just the one recipe circulating online yet the ingredients don't appear to be quite right based on memory of the actual sausage. What you reference above makes more sense...will have to play around with the spices though.
Rob12
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:24 am

Rob12 wrote:I know this thread is going back aways but I am going to try and make the Russian sausages over the next two days. There seems to be just the one recipe circulating online yet the ingredients don't appear to be quite right based on memory of the actual sausage. What you reference above makes more sense...will have to play around with the spices though.

Just home and taking a quick gander came across this and had a look in my South African recipe book as Russian sausage rang a bell. The following may ore may not help and I will take another look this weekend

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Rob12 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:54 am

Hi BriCan,

Many thanks for that. I think we have the same book ;-)

The problem being that whilst I can buy an over the counter spice blend for Russian sausages here, it is expensive and honestly, after my last experience of pre-packages sausage spices, I am wary (those sausages are still in the freezer as they taste like ginger beer starter...they will be recycled as pork pies eventually).

The only online recipe for Russians that is circulating uses a blend of dill seed, caraway seed, black pepper and garlic as the primary seasonings (there is also onion, parsley and salt).

For me the dill, caraway and parsley don't ring true for this sausage...to start with I am going to make it omitting these ingredients and if this bombs, will redo it with them included and see which is the closer match.

I am also going to cold smoke them for a few hours (am doing some chicken breast so will put the sausage in at the same time). My other query/thought is do I then need to hot smoke them as well or can I just skip to poaching them to cook them through?
Rob12
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:01 pm

try these

Dimitri’s sausage

7 # pork shoulder
3 # beef
4 Tbs. salt
2 Tbs. black pepper
1.5 Tbs. Corriander
3 Tbs. Dill seed
1.5 Tbs. Paprika
1.5 Tbs. Garlic granules
1 tsp. allspice
1 Tbs. meat binder
1 cup milk powder
10 Oz. white wine.
Col. Big Guy
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Rob12 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:05 pm

Big Guy wrote:try these

Dimitri’s sausage

7 # pork shoulder
3 # beef
4 Tbs. salt
2 Tbs. black pepper
1.5 Tbs. Corriander
3 Tbs. Dill seed
1.5 Tbs. Paprika
1.5 Tbs. Garlic granules
1 tsp. allspice
1 Tbs. meat binder
1 cup milk powder
10 Oz. white wine.

Many thanks - will give this a go on the next batch (my first test batch is already mixed and maturing in the fridge). Sounds like a much better spice blend so am keen to give it a go.
Rob12
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Check your history and see what type of Russians immigrated to your area. If they were Mennonite or Jewish you'll get a pretty good idea of what isn't in the sausages: pork or wine, etc. If the immigration coincided with about 1917 then they were likely Mennonite.

I'd almost bet though based on Alberta and the Prairies being half Russian-Mennonite that you are looking for a pork sausage that doesn't have wine and probably has mustard seed, black pepper, etc, or something that's pretty close to Aidell's Romanian Beef by NCPaul.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:52 pm

came across this
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/ ... ssian.html
My own observation is that from BriCans post and your book is that 11% seasoning seems to be ,to say the least a bit high.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby Rob12 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:09 am

me again...

I have the first experimental batch of Russian sausages in the cold smoker (they will be in there for two hours then go on to the hot smoker and then be poached...so should be thoroughly dead by the time we eat them).

Based on what I had read online plus one very hazy reference in an old South African cookbook we made them up with 2 parks pork, 1 part beef, 3 onions, 2 tablespoons crushed garlic, black pepper, clove, paprika and salt. We fried up some of the left overs (after stuffing the sausages) last night and they tasted good - pungent but good. So hopefully once the smokers have done their thing we will be able to assess the final product and see just how far off the mark we are.

Years ago I remember my family chatting to a guy who was selling Russian sausages at a flea market in Milnerton (near Cape Town). He theorised that the Russian sausage was more Hungarian or Ukrainian in character than Russian. I have no way to refute or prove that statement but those of you with more knowledge of the sausage world may find that one interesting.
Rob12
Registered Member

Postby nellie.eng » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:55 pm

hi Rob 12

How was your russians? Anything you will change next time. I hope to make some Russians soon. Was in SA past Dec and Russians dont taste the same anymore.
nellie.eng
Newly Registered

Next

Return to Chatter