SUPER SAVELOY.....

Introductions and chatter

SUPER SAVELOY.....

Postby Rik vonTrense » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:48 am

I had made up 3 kg of saveloy meat but could not find any red skins or skins suitable so I froze it.

I got the meat out of freeze for the BBQ but never used it as it was deemed we had more than enough with what I had made already.

So to use it up yesterday I found an Ox bung and gave it a good soaking and a washout and loaded up my vertical stuffer put on the largest of the tubes and fed on the Ox bung.

Whilst I held onto it for dear life my son in law cranked the handle and it started to fill nicely when we got half way down we put in the rest of the meat and continued to crank.

Well this white slug was almost impossible to control being very wet but I managed to tie up the end and I put on the big fish kettle with the thermometer in and brought the water up to 82C.

I then gave old Super Sav a good three hours and after about two hours it was looking and was feeling good I decided it didn't look right so I baptised it with a bottle of Langdale red food colouring and this is the result......

It weighs off at just over the 3KG and feels very firm....imagine that with a daffy of peas pudding on a plate.

There is an AA batery there just to compare the size.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Return to Chatter