3/8" first grind, 3/16" second grind?

Introductions and chatter

Postby Oddley » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:04 am

Bob Fatman sausage is a really authentic tasting Cumberland type sausage. Here is something I got from Parson snows it might help you work out the fat content of it.
Parson Snows wrote:Basically all of the shoulder isn't meat and all of the fat isn't fat. For a lean pork shoulder a figure of 8.8 % fat is used and for hard pork back fat a figure of 78.6 % fat is used. Therefore your fat content is (1.5 x 8.8/100) + (0.5 x 78.6/100) = 0.525 lbs of fat. So 0.525/2.0 x 100 =26.25 % total fat content.

I only use a stuffer so I don't have problems with emulsification. As long as I keep the meat cold.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:43 am

Oddley wrote:Bob Fatman sausage is a really authentic tasting Cumberland type sausage. Here is something I got from Parson snows it might help you work out the fat content of it.

What is Cumberland sausage? I can't find it in my international sausage references.

Parson Snows wrote:Basically all of the shoulder isn't meat and all of the fat isn't fat. For a lean pork shoulder a figure of 8.8 % fat is used and for hard pork back fat a figure of 78.6 % fat is used.

I get what is called "pork trimmings" for the bulk fat. It's about 50% lean, which I trim out and put with the lean pork. The remaining fat is almost 100% pure fat.

Therefore your fat content is (1.5 x 8.8/100) + (0.5 x 78.6/100) = 0.525 lbs of fat. So 0.525/2.0 x 100 =26.25 % total fat content.

Thanks for the head's up. I should have used the term "Boston butt" to describe the "lean" pork but I wasn't sure it would be recognized. According to the sausage books I have, Boston butt is about 20% fat when all the fat on the outside is trimmed. That gives me the 40%. You can see that it is much higher than 25% by looking at it. In any event whatever it is, it works for me.

I only use a stuffer so I don't have problems with emulsification. As long as I keep the meat cold.

I am going to get a push stuffer - it's almost impossible to get it right with a grinder. In addition, when I do freeze the meat enough to prevent emulsification, I am straining the motor and gears.
Bob
Registered Member

Cumberland sausage

Postby Franco » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:17 am

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index_fil ... ausage.pdf

This is a recipe for a Cumberland sausage I posted on Len Poli's site, if you like you can add a small piece of minced smoked bacon to the mix.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Cumberland Sausage

Postby Parson Snows » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:48 am

Franco

they don't have to visit Len's site to see your sausage. I found it a while ago and posted it on this forum under "Chatter/MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY/Franco's Cumberland Sausage"

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Re: Cumberland sausage

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:26 pm

Franco wrote:http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index_files/Cumberland%20Sausage.pdf
This is a recipe for a Cumberland sausage I posted on Len Poli's site, if you like you can add a small piece of minced smoked bacon to the mix.
Franco

A cursory glance of the sausage recipes I have tells me that majoram is used mainly in Polish Kielbasa.
Bob
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:30 pm

Please find the link below for information regarding Cumberland sausage

http://www.fellsanddales.org.uk/images/ ... ecrets.pdf

Regards
sausagemaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:02 pm

sausagemaker wrote:Please find the link below for information regarding Cumberland sausage
http://www.fellsanddales.org.uk/images/ ... ecrets.pdf
Regards
sausagemaker

I get the impression from that article that Cumberland sausage is distinguished by the kind of pork that is used, namely pork from the "Cumberland pig".

To wit:

"... this means that the sausage cannot be called traditional
Cumberland sausage unless it meets certain criteria to do with its meat
content, ingredients, processing and place of origin."
Bob
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:58 pm

Oddley wrote:Welcome to the forum Bob. I have visited the alliedkenco site afraid I can't or to be honest won't afford the shipping from there. But an interesting site as the States is such a big country I suppose it's only to be expected you have more choice of chemicals.

Interesting idea with the freezing only one minor problem is that's it's fine if you make small amounts to be eaten almost immediately but as it is recommended only to freeze fresh meat once. Not such a good idea if making large amounts and freezing them afterwards.

Sorry I missed your reply earlier - this forum software has its quirks when multiple replies are sent to me by email as one link.

With the Dollar in the tank, I would imagine you can justify shipping if the item is a necessity. Although Allied Kenco is not far too from home, I tend to use UPS because of the high price of gasoline ($1.50 per US gallon). - I have met the owner and he is very knowledgeable but he sometimes gets swamped with email - up to 150 per day.

As far as freezing, I only use the freshest meats. I freeze them twice - once at mixture and once at hardening for grinding. The latter is not a sustained freeze so I do not worry about it. I usually do not freeze the finished product because it is almost always 1 lb in size and is gone in a couple days.

The reason for small batch size is to limit the damage if I screw up a recipe. When I first started I would make 3 lb batches and my dog just loved it. He has become a real sausage hound (he's a beagle) from failed experiments - usually not enough fat or overseasoning, in particular way too much garlic. He won't obey us unless we bribe him with some sausage.

But now I have the knack, so Artie is going to have to make it on WalMart dry dog food. He does, however, get to snack on the tailings when I am trimming beef chuck, so it's not too bad.
Bob
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:55 pm

Hi Bob
Bob wrote:high price of gasoline ($1.50 per US gallon).

Bob do you know how much petrol is over here about 7 - $8 per gallon. You are lucky M8.

You probably misunderstood me. I would like to try some of the allied kenco chemicals but I think the shipping price to the UK would be to high.

As far as sausages go we all have disasters. But the successes make it worth while.

EDIT: Bob the Cumberland pig went extinct in the 1960's. Try the fatman recipe it don't matter what it is called you will like the sausage if you like British type sausages.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:07 pm

Oddley wrote:Hi Bob
Bob wrote:high price of gasoline ($1.50 per US gallon).

Bob do you know how much petrol is over here about 7 - $8 per gallon. You are lucky M8.

Texans are very well armed. If our politicians tried to raise that much money in gasoline taxes, we would revolt. Before the spike in crude oil prices, we paid around $1.00 per gallon.

Houston is where most of the US gasoline and chemical additives are made. It did make it as high as $1.89 when crude peaked around $55 per barrel, but it's coming down.

As far as sausages go we all have disasters.

My beagle would concur.

EDIT: Bob the Cumberland pig went extinct in the 1960's. Try the fatman recipe it don't matter what it is called you will like the sausage if you like British type sausages.[/color]

I just tried Fatman's Sausage recipe pan fried. However, I added some red pepper flakes and ground black pepper (1/2 t. each per pound meat). It came out very delicious.

Next comes the Garlic Pork Bangers recipe - I have to get some breadcrumbs at the store this evening. Then when I think I have the breadcrumb matter figured out, I can get more adventuresome.
Bob
Registered Member

Texas sausage

Postby Franco » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:11 pm

Bob,

Can you supply a good typical sausage recipe from Texas? preferably one you've made yourself.

Cheers

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Re: Texas sausage

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:31 am

Franco wrote:Bob,
Can you supply a good typical sausage recipe from Texas? preferably one you've made yourself.
Cheers
Franco

Texans are BBQ artists- sausage tends to be a secondary matter although it is part of the BBQ fare.

Although this is not a Texas recipe, it is regional. Andouille is Cajun sausage from Louisiana - very spicy. Texas sausage is patterned after it.

It is served with Read Beans and Rice- very tasty. Google will provide recipes.

Here's my modified recipe which originally comes from Cajun cook Emeril Lagasse. You do not get much more coon ass than Ol' Emeril. Cayenne is the dominant spice of Cajun cooking.

Andouille

1 lb pork (40% fat)
1 T. chopped garlic
1 t. onion powder
1 t. paprika
1 t. salt
1 t. cayenne
1 t. ground pepper
1 t. chili powder
1 t. oregano
1 t. thyme
1 t. cumin

Shape into patties, pan fry, serve with red beans and rice on Monday.
Bob
Registered Member

Lagasse

Postby Franco » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:03 am

I'll try it later this week and let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Re: Lagasse

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:22 pm

Franco wrote:I'll try it later this week and let you know how I get on.
Thanks
Franco

Since fat content is important I need to reiterate how I arrive at 40%.

I buy a pork butt (aka "Boston Butt") and trim off all obvious surface fat. That leaves what I interpret as "visually lean" although there are obvious pieces of interstitial fat running thru the remaining meat.

Once I took such a piece of VL-trimmed meat and carefully separated out the lean and fat to determine the ratio. I got something close to 20% fat in VL-trim pork butt. Other pieces of pork, such as the picnic, likely contain a different ratio and I am sure the ratio also depends on how aggressive one is in the trimming process.

So I use 1.5 lb of this VL-trimmed pork butt and 0.5 lb of 100% backfat, which yields the nominal 40%.

Warning: This sausage is heavily spiced so I pan fry it. It is the epitome of Cajun cusine.
Bob
Registered Member

Re: Lagasse

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:40 pm

Franco wrote:I'll try it later this week and let you know how I get on.

Did you try it (Andouille)?

If so, what did you think of it?
Bob
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter