Texture Problem with smoked sausage

Introductions and chatter

Texture Problem with smoked sausage

Postby rugbywaz » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:47 am

Hello

I have a texture problem with my smoked sausage. Made a batch of polish sausage using whole pork butts (20lbs) and a few lbs of beef (4 lbs).
Added appropriate spices, prauge powder and soy concentrate. Smoked starting at 100 degrees and raising every hour till a smoker temp of 160-165 degrees was reached (used one pan of hickory saw dust). Smoked for 6-8 hours until internal temp of 152 degrees was reached.

Problem is that the sausage has great flavor, looks to be moist but has a grainy texture (saw dust like) and impacts a dry flavor in the mouth. The sausage also appears like it did not bind/melt together like it did during previous attempts. Not sure what I did wrong. The sausage looks good although it did shrink more than usual. Bloom is a perfect dark red, while the flavor is excellent.

I can only think that either I was smoking to hot, to long, or I did not use enough soy concentrate for binding purposes.

I would appretaite any advice or ideas concerning what went wrong.
Thanks

RUGBYWAZ

CLEVELAND, OHIO, USA
rugbywaz
Newly Registered

Postby Oddley » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:33 am

What type of sausage are you making M8? If it is the emulsion type that probably is your problem. It's very difficult to answer your question without giving us a clue to the recipe you are using.

If this seems ureasonable I really don't see what we can do. I know that some people like to keep their recipies secret because of commercial reasons thats ok. But if you want help unfortunatly you will have to post it.
Oddley
Registered Member

Return to Chatter