Scottish white pudding recipe.

Introductions and chatter

Postby Oddley » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:25 pm

Am I the only one who comments on anyones recipe's? I haven't seen any reviews for a long time.

I made this pudding last weekend, all I have to say is fab. If you are looking for an authentic Scot's white pudding, go no further than here.

My daughters partner is a butcher, I gave him some, his comments were. It's very hard to find good white pudding, this tastes just the same as they used to make when I was working at Corrigans butchers.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:04 am

:D We'll try harder. How does it compare to the johnfb / Wheels Irish white pudding? (Without offending the Scots or the Irish).
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:31 am

Hi NCPaul, If you don't try harder there will be no gold stars on your work... :D

Unfortunately, I have not yet had time to try any other recipe's, but If you like a fry up on a Sunday morning, then it is well worth giving this one a go.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:13 pm

NCPaul wrote::D We'll try harder. How does it compare to the johnfb / Wheels Irish white pudding? (Without offending the Scots or the Irish).

I'd make John's as I'm sure that it's more representative of the type of Irish pudding that it emulates. I view mine just as an aid that helped him achieve his goal.

Personally I like the firmer Irish one (almost polony like) and the West Country ones with a higher meat content.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:20 pm

Oddley wrote:Am I the only one who comments on anyones recipe's? I haven't seen any reviews for a long time.

Guilty as charged, your honour. :lol:

I tend to comment on my blog/web-site when I make someone's recipe. I must try harder to remember to also do it here. :oops:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:32 pm

If you don't try harder there will be no gold stars on your work...

No gold stars? Now you're pushing my buttons (it really mattered to me in 2nd grade). I'm on it. :D :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Scottish white pudding recipe.

Postby neilpaignton » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:37 am

The white pudding recipe given above is the traditional East coast of Scotland version.
This pudding is still sold in local butchers and some supermarkets in the East Coast of Scotland.
In Scotland it is most often seen on the menu in Fish and Chip shops battered and deep fried..
Some recipes suggest slightly toasting the oatmeal in the oven first. Not sure about storing them in Oatmeal these days as they will freeze well. There is also a Scottish Butcher in Sydney in Australia who makes the white pudding..
neilpaignton
Newly Registered

Postby ZosoOfZep » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi,

I have just made a batch of white (mealie) pudding mixture and I am have trouble stuffing the casing. I am using a manual sausage stuffer and the mixture is not coming out, it is just being compressed in to a solid mass.

The mixture is:

1 KG oatmeal
500g suet
2 onions (pre fried)
Seasoning.

Does any one have any tips on how to stuff this mixture?

Cheers

Gary
ZosoOfZep
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:55 am

ZosoOfZep wrote:Hi,

I have just made a batch of white (mealie) pudding mixture and I am have trouble stuffing the casing. I am using a manual sausage stuffer and the mixture is not coming out, it is just being compressed in to a solid mass.

The mixture is:

1 KG oatmeal
500g suet
2 onions (pre fried)
Seasoning.

Does any one have any tips on how to stuff this mixture?

There has to be more to your recipe or else you will never be able to stuff it as all you have is dry ingredients

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:30 pm

If you read earlier in the thread, it definitely says not to add liquid. I also find it odd, but that's what it says:

Oddley wrote:Thanks Pudden for the explanation. Looking again at the recipe for white pudding the mix is very dry, just some fat, oats, onion, salt and pepper. Is this right? No extra liquid at all?

Pudden wrote:That's right Oddley, no liquid; the onions provide enough to swell the oatmeal. If you try the recipe, I think you'll get a pleasant surprise.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Swing Swang » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:17 pm

As oatmeal comes in four grades: fine/medium/course/pinhead it may be that a different grade will behave differently. Might also be that an overnight rest might alter the way it behaves in the stuffer.

Final thought - I grow an enormous amount of onions each year and their water content varies considerably, really fresh ones have lots of water where's after 4-5 months they are quite dry. Frying small quantities in an open pan will drive off a lot of moisture, whereas sweating/frying in a covered pan retains the moisture. Essentially what I'm saying is that I wouldn't be to concerned if you had to add a little water to get the mix into the casings.

Alternatively for small quantities you could do it by hand with a stuffing horn

Philip
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Chatter