Saltpetre Again (Sorry)

Introductions and chatter

Saltpetre Again (Sorry)

Postby deb » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:50 am

I have some curing recipes which use saltpetre. As I have some saltpetre I was going to use it up but once finished, due to the current thinking as regards safety, I will change to using Cure#1.
Does anyone know how much weight of Cure I would need to use in relation to the weight of Saltpetre?
Thanks.
deb
Registered Member

Saltpetre revised to Sodium Nitrites

Postby Parson Snows » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:26 am

First of all I need to know what you are using it for

1) pickle/brine curing
2) dry curing or
3) comminuted meat products (sausages, salamis etc.)
as all of these require different amounts etc.

or you could post your recipe and I could send you back a revision.

There is nothing wrong with using saltpetre. I don't believe that I ever said there was. What I have said is that by using a proprietary "curing salt" and measuring it out as recommended from the manufacturer/supplier sucess is almost cetainly guaranteed every time. Plus you have the peace of mind that the limits of Sodium Nitrate/Nitrite have not been exceeded. Don't be too concerned with the health aspect. As long as you are not increasing amounts as you please (use a gram scale if possible) and do not intend for it to last for months preserved, you are quite safe. On the other hand, if the saltpetre is impure and it hasn't cured the meat you will be able to tell. The meat with be putrid, slime may have started to appear on the meat surfaces and at the worst you will get "off" odours. So you definately won't be eating it. It's just that your time, effort and money will have all been for nothing. Suppose that you a planning an Irish Spiced Beef for Christmas, you invite your friends and neighbours round, you use impure saltpetre and it all go poof. You then end up ordering McD's all round. Merry Xmas.

Kind Regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby deb » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:28 pm

Thanks Parson. When I said health concerns I wasn't particularly aiming this at you, just opinion in general.
At the moment I don't have any particular recipes in mind, I was just enquiring for future reference.
deb
Registered Member

Saltpetre (Again)

Postby Parson Snows » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:26 pm

deb

By all means keep your saltpetre, but keep it out of the way of children etc, preferably under lock and key. It won't go off and it doesn't eat nor drink much. When you have some recipes on hand that need it by all means get back to me.

Kind Regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:00 pm

The purity of saltpeter in this country is fairly well controlled (depending on where you got it from).
The British charcuterie industry still uses Potassium nitrate/nitrite in it's cures whereas some other countries have moved to sodium nitrates/nitrites.
What I'm saying is that in Britain it is still possible to acquire "food grade" saltpeter rather than the pyro/agricultural grade stuff that is available in other countries.

Yes, definitely keep it under lock and key; in a cool place and out of the reach of everybody else. Bear in mind that this stuff is also used to make gunpowder and can be extremely volatile if it is not looked after. Always keep it in the container it is supplied in and observe MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) recomendations for storage and handling. (MSDS should be supplied with the product if obtained via reputable suppliers).
If anyone wants an MSDS for it let me know
Spuddy
Site Admin

Saltpetre Info

Postby Parson Snows » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:28 am

Spuddy

I personally think that you should post the MSDS for all the Nitrates/Nitrites that members of this site are likely to come across so that they are aware of what they are really dealing with. As to FOOD QUALITY Saltpetre vs FOOD QUALITY Sodium Nitrite. For free-flowing granular food-grade quality Sodium Nitrite the MINIMUM % of NaNO2 is 99 %. How does that compare with the Saltpetre?

I am aware that the UK and parts of Europe differ from America and in several respects Japan. Artifical colourings are one particular area, along with the fact that in the US ANY form of Nitrate is not longer permitted in ANY curing method for bacon. This along with maximum 3.5 % binder/filler allowed in Fresh sausages. etc. The list goes on.

Thanks for your input

Kind Regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:40 am

OK here were are:

Purities are listed in the sheets.

Potassium Nitrate http://www.core-digital.co.uk/msds/p5950.doc

Potassium Nitrite http://www.core-digital.co.uk/msds/p5951.doc

Sodium Nitrate http://www.core-digital.co.uk/msds/S4442.doc

Sodium Nitrite http://www.core-digital.co.uk/msds/S4466.doc

Sodium Chloride (table salt) http://www.core-digital.co.uk/msds/S3338.doc

Let me know if you need any others
Spuddy
Site Admin

saltpetre

Postby Parson Snows » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:19 am

Spuddy

Thanks for the MSDS's. All we have been able to obtain in Thailand is an agricultural grade which is no where near as pure as that stated on the MSDS's. The fact that saltpetre (saltpeter) is one of the main ingredients of gunpowder may have something to do with this situation. I think that anyone that handles/or will be handling any of these chemicals should read these sheets or at least the safety aspects.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Return to Chatter