Hello, and help!!

Introductions and chatter

Hello, and help!!

Postby Dragon » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:23 pm

I've just stumbled upon this site - and what a revelation. I had no idea there was such a sausage making community out there.
I've just had a go at making salami and think I'm heading for a disaster. The beef bungs arrived in the post so I grabed a copy of HFW book and followed the salami recipe. With no mincer I had to use a food processor instead, and then a funnel and wooded spoon to fill the casings -I then hung the salamis in the garden shed.
They have come alive !! My salamis are now covered in grey hair - is this normal?
Also - what equipment should I buy? I see that this site offeres mincers and stuffers for about �30 - is this all I need for my salamis?
Sorry to be a demanding newcomer - I promise to contribute for fruitfully in the future provided I don;t get terribly ill in the meantime :shock:
Dragon
Registered Member

fur etc.

Postby Franco » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:07 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum...

a couple of questions...

What colour is the fur? how does the salami smell?and what recipe did you use? and did you use nitrates ie saltpetre?

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Hello and help!!

Postby Dragon » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:40 am

Franco

thanks for replying. The fur is white - about 1 cm long. The salamis don't smell. I followed a recipe from The River Cottage Cookbook. 400 gLean pork, 100g back fat, 10g salt, red wine, garlic and half a teaspoon of acidophilus. I didn't add any saltpetre.
The salamis are hanging in the garden shed (too cold?)

regards
Dragon
Dragon
Registered Member

salami humidity

Postby Parson Snows » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:20 am

It's not so much the temperature that is critical but rather the humidity or relative humidity. From the information that you have provided I would say that the atmosphere in your garden shed is too humid. If you intend to make more salamis and also intend to keep them in your shed I would suggest that you purchase a small humidifier, and place it in the shed.

hope that this information is of some use to you

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Dragon » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:36 am

Thankyou Parson Snows
I've just got back from two weeks working in Thailand. Before I left I put the salamis up into the attic - where it should be less humid, and a little warmer perhaps.
I guess I'll wait and see what happens to them !! :?

Dragon
Dragon
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:28 am

If you haven't used any nitrates/nitrites at all then I would seriously recommend that you cook them well before eating them.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Return to Chatter