Smithfield Trip

Introductions and chatter

Smithfield Trip

Postby Oddley » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:51 pm

I went down to Smithfield meat market at 5 am this morning and bought a small English lamb 17 kg for �47 and 1/2 a pig 35 kg for �52. I thought this a very reasonable price the pig was only 75p lb.

When I got back I nearly killed myself getting them up the stairs. So now I have a 15 lb ham going 2 nice loins of bacon 1 traditional cure 1 smoked. Don't know yet exactly how much sausage meat I have I suppose 10-15 kg that's for tomorrow night.

I also have a few kg of spare ribs for Chinese and I made stock out of the bones. The squeak got away.
.. :lol:
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:46 am

I've always wanted to go to smithfield! Been to billingsgate a few times - that is always fun.

What exactly do you get when you buy half a pig? Does that include the head and offal?

Also - how easy is it to get there? Is there parking etc? Do the sellers there give people off the street a hard time, or do they gladly sell to non-trade?
aris
Site Admin

Postby deb » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:59 am

Used to go there and get about 10lb of steak fairly often when I worked nearby, never bought anything like half an animal, mind you I dont think it would have fit into the fridge at work.
Sadly, as far as meat is concerned, we no longer live or work in London.
deb
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:18 am

Hi aris

When you buy 1/2 a pig you get everything except the head. The only offal you get is the kidney still attached why I don't know.

It was easy for me to get there because I knew where it was. Be aware that after 7 am if you are still in the congestion zone you will have to pay a fiver. Parking regulations start at 8 am so no problem. At Christmas it is murder round there and there is no parking allowed.

The traders will sell to non trade and like everything else in life there are some nice ones and some not so nice ones. If you treat people with respect and perhaps have a little joke I find I usually get a positive response. If not keep your money in your pocket wipe your mouth and walk away.

I love Billingsgate I have been going there since I was a little kid. My grandad used to work there. I remember when the porters wore leather hats and carried up to 10 baskets of fish on their heads. I will be going there in the next couple of weeks to get some supplies.
Oddley
Registered Member

Return to Chatter