What didn't you understand about the linking sketches posted

Introductions and chatter

What didn't you understand about the linking sketches posted

Postby Parson Snows » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:49 pm

Please take a moment to help me help you. If I don't know that its broken then I can't fix it. Please try and be as precise as possible about your complaints/comments.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:21 pm

I can't be specific why I don't understand them.

I think some pictures might be better. Get a digital camera and some sausage and actually show how it is done step by step.

Also - your sketch images are a bit too small and difficult to read.
aris
Site Admin

Sausage linking sketches

Postby Parson Snows » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:59 pm

Aris

Believe me that sausage photos won't make it any clearer. I believe that it was you that started off this debate in the first place. If you saw it done you won't pick it up right away, I don't know anyone who has, but within five minutes you'll have sussed it out. It's not difficult. Did you look at the follow up instructions that I posted? If you let me know your real world address (via pm) I will certainly send you a piece of string already done for you to look at.

As to the size of the sketches If you let me know your email (again by pm) then I'll send you a copy of the sketches (jpg format) and you can make them as big as you like

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Will England » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:33 pm

I haven't seen the list of drawings that have been mentioned. I'll continue to look till I find them. I'll also try to get some video shots and send them to you.

From what I understand you want to link sausage. First I'll recommend that you learn by linking a longer sausage such as Kielbasa. I link sausages the way I use them. My kielbasa is approximately 10 inches long. Although most are shorter the process is almost the same.

Make sure that the casings are not packed too tight. You'll notice if the packing is too tight by the bursting or rupturing of the casing.

If, on your first skein, bursting is a problem add cold water or wine to the meat/spice mix prior to the next round of packing. This should allow the product to adjust it self more readily. Some butcher twine, string, will help you link any skein of sausage that is too tightly packed. Select where on the sausage you want to create your first link. Wrap the string around the sausage skein and start an overhand knot. Instead of bringing the string end around the bight of the knot once go twice. The knot will most likely not slip when tightening pressure is relieved. Start to tighten the string slowly as you begin to crease into the sausage. You might consider < for want of a better word>, "massaging" the meat mixture to help it allow room for the increase in pressure that is being exerted by the string. Continue tightening and "masaging" as necessary to bring the first knot almost tight. Twist the first link once or twice then tighten the know. Continue this way until your first skein is linked. Now you know how to get yourself out of a problem if you do pack a sausage too tightly.

I will suggest that you have 6 - 8 pieces of string handy to close off a rupture while your packing or linking. Start by tieing off your casings that you put on the stuffing horn. Have a piercing tool handy. I use either a wooden toothpick usually, or a sewing needle I've forced into the end of a 6 inch 1/4 inch wood dowel {let the last inch or so of the dowel sit in some hot water. The needle will slide in easier. Use pliers to hold the needle.} Back topacking!
Just don't pack the casings too tight or loosely for that matter. It takes experience. Once a skein is ready for linking the last end of the skein should be tied with string. The start end has already been tied. Decide
the length of your first link. Gently squeeze the casing slowly to form the separations between the first link and the remainder of the skein. Twist the first link. Form the second link. Put the web of your right hand {opposite if you are a lefty} Close your thumb against your hand and base of the index finger. You now have one completed link, more than likely has twisted back, and a portion of the second link in your right hand. Visualize the length of your third link. Squeeze it off with your left hand and thumb. Now you have one link between your thumbs that is not twisted at either end. If you are making a relatively long link bring that untwisted link up to eye level. javascript:emoticon(':cry:')Sadly you'll notice that the first link has untwisted. Not to worry. Bring your two thumbs closer together until the link sags in the middle, like a jumb rope. Swing the link up and over, just like the jumb rope, twice. This will for link number 3. Form the fourth link between right thumb and hand, then form the 5th link. Slacken till it sags and then swing. You can swing in the same direction or alternate directions. I've never had problems that were not easily fixed. Practice, practice, practice! Every odd numbered link swings. If your links are too short, such as Vienna Sausage, instead of swinging, roll the link with thumb and index finger of each hand twice.
As I'm linking I collect the linked skein in a rather large stainless steel bowl. This along with the first few feet of linked sausage stops them from untwisting. If you have problems email me direct.

Practice and only pack one skein at a time. You'll soon figure out the proper amount of packing pressure, and linking. Something else to think about: When you make your very first link, fold it back parallel to the skein. Where it ends is the end of link #2. Start to squeeze there with the web of your left hand and continue linking.

Merry Christmas

Will England
Decatur, Alabama
Will England
Registered Member

Linking

Postby Parson Snows » Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:02 am

Will

the sketches can be found under "Techniques/Linking" on page 2. I know how to link, pound sausages (UK style) it was for the forum's benefit that the sketches were posted.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Return to Chatter