Farmers Markets

Introductions and chatter

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:14 am

Hi Benny, sorry for late response but busy time of year for me. Anyway ref EHO no reall heads up as they ALL have their own agendas. For example I completed my HASSAP plan 4 years ago and have been keeping it up to date ever since. 3 years ago I was commended on its fullness, 2 years ago it was all fine, last year they said it was well written this year its not right and I have to write it all again - nothing has changed apart from the EHO that visited! So good luck

Re preserves, no I dont use any preserver apart from salt obviously, and i make a big play about it. It is one thing that sets me apart from the normal butchers sauage which nearly always is made with a bought in mix which has a preserver already added. Keep thinking about the things you can do that no one else does to add value to your product and make it stand aout from the rest - this is important otherwise you constantly will get compared to the cheaper ends of the market. When making sausage try using a free range pork like GOS and market it hard. You will pay more for GOS but you can charge a lot more that the extra it costs you.

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby benny » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:40 pm

welsh wizard wrote:Hi Benny, sorry for late response but busy time of year for me. Anyway ref EHO no reall heads up as they ALL have their own agendas. For example I completed my HASSAP plan 4 years ago and have been keeping it up to date ever since. 3 years ago I was commended on its fullness, 2 years ago it was all fine, last year they said it was well written this year its not right and I have to write it all again - nothing has changed apart from the EHO that visited! So good luck

Re preserves, no I dont use any preserver apart from salt obviously, and i make a big play about it. It is one thing that sets me apart from the normal butchers sauage which nearly always is made with a bought in mix which has a preserver already added. Keep thinking about the things you can do that no one else does to add value to your product and make it stand aout from the rest - this is important otherwise you constantly will get compared to the cheaper ends of the market. When making sausage try using a free range pork like GOS and market it hard. You will pay more for GOS but you can charge a lot more that the extra it costs you.

Cheers WW

Yeah what your saying is exactly how im thinking there WW...

i have a few ideas on flavourings that wouldnt be found in the butchers or the supermarkets, with regards to using fresh flavourings say your apricot and pork sausage would you use dried apricot just finely diced up and mixed in, say the same for apple and cranberry for example would you need to dry these out first to remove moisture or when mixed as they are or they fine when stued into casings and cooked?

appricate your advise so far there WW!
benny
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi Benny

Apricot - just buy some cheap apricots like Morrissions Saver Apricots and whiz in a food processor. Add these to your mix in the quantity you feel right. These are dried apricots not fresh or tinned

Apple - see the site for apple there are a lot of threads on this particular sausage and with regards to cranberry treat them like apricots but a few pulses with the food processer (they are softer fruit) rather than a good whizz

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:24 am

Hi there.

Just a brief post to say thank you to all who have offered me advice this year and to wish all posters a very happy christmas and may the New Year bring what you want.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks WW

Sorry that I didn't get to see you again before Christmas but duty (work) called! I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous 2012.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Happy Christmas WW - it's been a pleasure to share some of your exploits via this thread.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:32 am

Firstly Happy New Year to evryone and I am sorry I have not not been arround for some time but I had a good break after Christmas.

Anyway I am asked a lot about Health and Safety and the EHO visiting and what needs to be done. I found this book whilst I was on my hols and am pasting their website for those who are interested to have a look. There is a brief "what to do" section if you scroll down which may be of help or interest to some people.

http://www.howto.co.uk/business/caterin ... safety_10/

And now for my question - well youknew it was coming! I hae to cook scrambled eggs for 60 people soon as part of a breakfast, has anyone cooked this amount? and if so how? last time I cooked a large quantity the bottom burned and I had to start again - also I would be interested in hot holding them. I believe stainless steel makes them go green? - anyon got any ideas?????

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:53 pm

WW

We stopped doing them at work (100 cover) for the very reason that they're a swine to hot-hold. They go green as you say. Will you have help? Plenty of equipment? I'm just wondering whether you (+A.N. Others) could do 4 lots of 15 portions (5 x 12 portions?) in large (30 egg) frying pans, and serve them fresh?

Nah, probably not - it was just a daft thought of the top of my head, I forget sometimes that you are usually doing everything single-handed? Hopefully, someone will come up with a better idea, 'cos the more I look at mine, the dafter it gets! :lol: :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ruralidle » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:10 pm

My idea was similarly daft, Phil :(
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Sous vide?

Postby akesingland » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:06 pm

I seem to remember this from Heston's Little Chef program.

http://svkitchen.com/?p=4235

Cheers
Adam
akesingland
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Thank you

I am going to give it a go making scrambled egg in my soup kettle which in effect is a gert Bans Marie. Once cooked transfer them to a large china dish and put it onto a hot holding plate. I reckon I can make 35 portions a time. Any comments?

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:36 pm

The soup kettle's a good idea - allow plenty of time though. IIRC it used to take an age when we did them in a Double Boiler.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:02 am

Wacky idea No1, could you have them held in a Bain Marie in an almost cooked state eg 60 degrees then ladle out a portion into a hot pan to finish in a few seconds just before serving?
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:37 am

Nice idea but you can't hold eggs in steel pans for any period of time because they turn green! IDEA. I think I will take my Hostess with me and put the eggs in the glass bowls once cooked for holding. Now no comments on my Hostess holding my hot eggs !!!

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:39 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter