Farmers Markets

Introductions and chatter

Re: Farmers Markets

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Purely out of interest, I am getting a little jaded making and selling burgers etc in all their different guises (although they are very good even if I say so myself :lol: ) and was wondering if anyone had seen unusual catering whilst they have been walking around the various shows, markets etc this year? Someone did suggest to me a while back to do beef spare ribs, which although sounds wonderful the storage etc makes it difficult for me to do. As ALWAYS, any ideas much appreciated!
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:06 pm

Remind me WW, I know that you have a paella pan, what other cooking/reheating kit would be available?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Oh, I have the full range of cooking equipment, griddles, soup kettles, commercial bbq's, etc and all forms of hot holding as well so cooking and hot holding is not a problem. Size (because of refrigeration) , speed of cooking and ease of presentation is important.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:40 pm

I just got back from my farmers market and it seemed the usual (to me); the one item that might be a possibility would be smoked turkey legs, are those done where you are? Another snack would be pork shots, those would take a while to fabricate. You could also try half an onion in mustard barbecue sauce.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby sundodger » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:26 am

It may seem a little too simple & you may already do them, but I find that Scotch eggs go down very well at the local bazaars that I sell at. I normally sell out of those I have, with folk scoffing them as they walk around.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:44 am

Fidget Pie would be the obvious one as it's a Traditional Shropshire food. Maybe add Mushy peas or another veg and some form of sauce (gravy?).

I'll have aother think and see if I can come up with some others.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:17 am

Thanks everyone, Pork Shots I have never heard of so will look into that. Scotch Eggs on Ludlow Produce Market are done by a colleague called Aunty Mo, and I feel cross selling is a waste of time, BUT good idea though, thanks. Fidget pies tend to be eaten cold and I am really looking for something I can cook up quickly at festivals. I did toy with the idea of noodles last year but came a cropper on how to keep the water clean.............ah well, thanks for your ideas and if you see anything that you think is unusual, I would be really grateful for the heads up. Maybe faggots heated through in a soup kettle and another kettle with mushy peas....hmmmmmmmmmm

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:35 am

Flavour of the month is, of course, anything BBQ - pulled pork, brisket, ribs etc.

Maybe something along those lines?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:27 am

I agree with Phil ~~~~ Pulled pork
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:50 pm

yep, could go that way. I'm going to experiment first with some beef brisket. A lot of people do hog roasts around here and although pulled pork is different, it is pork when all said and done. My idea is to slow cook brisket and treat it like pulled pork, keep it in the fridge and quickly reheat it on the griddle and serve it with horseradish mayo and some homemade mustard or an onion marmalade. It would have to go for around £4.50 a roll as the cheapest (with quality) brisket I can get is c£7 a kg.

On another note I am coming over to Suffolk this weekend and wondered if anyone has any idea of any farmers markets I could visit on a sunday? (wedding Saturday)

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Maybe I missed part of this 40 + page thread. If so, please forgive me, but why not turn the brisket into pastrami and serve that in a bun or on rye bread, after heating it up on the griddle, topping with cheese and offering Russian Dressing as well as optional sauerkraut, mustard and horseradish as additional sauces. Pretty standard East Coast USA fare but it is not too common around Shropshire :wink:
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:15 pm

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Oops - I forgot to mention the sliced pickles to top the meat & cheese.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:56 pm

would love to do pastrami but I need something quick and I can turn into food within a couple of hours in the oven. Often I find myself making food say on the Sat evening for the Sunday trading having sold out on the Saturday. like the idea of pickles though if I can get them reasonable enough. thinking about it a lot of people around here have fairly catholic tastes so beef with mustard or horseradish may well be the way forward.............

cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:24 pm

welsh wizard wrote:.... fairly catholic tastes so beef with mustard or horseradish may well be the way forward.............
cheers WW

No need to get religious about it - but some Americans no doubt would :lol:
Ruralidle
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter