Farmers Markets

Introductions and chatter

Re: Farmers Markets

Postby onewheeler » Mon May 12, 2014 6:35 pm

Wunderdave wrote: Colony burger with bacon, american cheese, and mayonnaise.

A colon-y burger should have andouillette (proper French one with pig colon, not USAnian version) in it surely?

I'll get my coat.
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon May 12, 2014 7:19 pm

I'm not sure if a hog bung burger would sell, over here. Maybe in the UK it would?
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon May 12, 2014 9:18 pm

welsh wizard wrote:...I am about to embark on my season of food shows and I want to come up with a few recipes for what are now called "gourmet burgers" and I was wondering if anyone out there had some good names / ideas for burgers. I intend to use as a base...a 4oz game patty made from pigeon, rabbit and pheasant...

No recipe, but I think a squab/rabbit/pheasant burger inspired by Moroccan pastilla/bastila would be cool. The sauce - a reduction of the traditional sauce used in the crust and filling. Maybe served in a grilled pita? I think the spicy-slightly sweet burger - meat, onions, garlic, cinnamon, a touch of sugar, other spices depending on the recipe - and the sauce, served in a crisp-on-the-outisde fresh pita, reminiscent of the bastila crust, could be unique, and it is a great preparation for squab.

For names? Maybe a take on Casa Blanca and the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Tue May 13, 2014 7:51 pm

thank you for your ideas. I think I may pass on the intestine burger! But I am going to experiment on an Awful, sorry offal burger! Pita breads, nice idea will give them a go on the griddle at home to see how long they take.

Thanks again

Casa Blanca, very good

Thought of a new name for a gourmet steak burger, In the mood :D
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue May 13, 2014 8:56 pm

You might try a "Juicy Lucy" if you can find a cheese that melts right (hint, not the place for a good one).

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/201 ... ref=search
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby onewheeler » Thu May 15, 2014 9:17 am

welsh wizard wrote:But I am going to experiment on an Awful, sorry offal burger!

Snake & Pygmy?
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu May 15, 2014 2:02 pm

Heart would add a real meaty taste to a burger.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:42 am

Well I decided to go for a kunekune and coney burger, more because I liked the name than anything else. It has taken a time to make but I do have a few so I can put them on the board - we wait and see...... The main burger this year is a 6oz Hereford steak burger served with a homemade coleslaw, tomato and lettuce, at £4 a pop. Will let u know how I get on..............

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:24 pm

I'd think that you'll sell out in no time at that price.

Phil :lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:55 am

Well the show wasn't as busy as previous years but thankfully we seemed to do pretty well, especially on the Paella which is something I have introduced to my repertoire, selling just over 100 portions in 28mins ! The burgers went well but not as well as previous years I think due to too many food to go vendors at the show for what was small numbers. I tried to explain that if you get 20 food vendors at the show and only 5000 visitors then that's only 250 customers each as an average, IF everybody ate and if you put the average price of a food item @ £4 then that would mean each vendor would take £1000 over two days. When you take out costs of food, staff, time and a £300 pitch fee and £60 electricity fee then that doesn't leave a lot! I just think that there are far too many food shows around now and each organiser wants to make bigger and bigger profits therefore they have two ways to go, either they increase the cost to the visitor or increase the cost to the vendor. But ironically enough vendors now have to tell organisers how much they are going to sell their food for and if its too high the vendor doesn't get in! the new way now for shows is to get vendors to tender in for their pitch which in effect cuts out the small local producer and opens the doors for big out of town operations who pay their staff bugger nothing and sell quite frankly crap a lot of the time. shame....................maybe I should start my own little show purely for non commercial food vendors who just want to make some home made goodies and turn up and sell
them................

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:05 pm

welsh wizard wrote:...maybe I should start my own little show purely for non commercial food vendors who just want to make some home made goodies and turn up and sell
them................

Cheers WW

Hi WW, they're doing this in Birmingham. Different street traders at a regular venue on a regular basis:

http://www.digbethdiningclub.co.uk/events.html

These people seem to be major players in it:

http://www.thejabberwocky.co.uk/

http://www.squisito-deli.co.uk/

It might be worth a couple of phone calls?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Thank you Wheels most interesting...........
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:30 am

Can you bargain the pitch fees based on the number of customers you see? Make it performance based contract to get a stop limit amount?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:52 pm

regrettably not NCPaul, all organisers want their money up front for advertising etc, they are also frightened of foul weather resulting in a small attendance so to getting us to pay up front underwrites the show as it were. I did suggest that each exhibitor at one of the exhibitions we attend pay £100 up front and then 10% of their take after the first £1000. This worked well the first year but after that some vendors swung the lead so we are back to £300 fee irrespective of attendees.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:04 pm

WW

it's very difficult, 'buck the system' and you can be ostracised and left out in the cold. The promoters really think that they have the upper hand - and in the case of large shows they do.

But Ludlow's a vibrant food destination; you street traders have power! Form a 'food group' (co-operative) and use collective power. I really think, that from a 'street food' point of view, you need to take control of your own destiny. There's no doubt that this has worked in other areas such as the Birmingham food scene. Maybe a chat with them, and your local Council?

Major functions like the Food Festival are, of course, another matter.

I know, I see things through 'rose tinted' spectacles, and things are not simple. But I hope that what I've said encourages you, and your fellow traders, to look at removing power from the parasites that are the agents, promoters, and middlemen.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter