Farmers Markets

Introductions and chatter

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi RL

All I can say in defence is we are very busy, always sell out (kiss of death saying that)! So produce stays super fresh. I suppose I personally find food shows blooin expensive especially for families. In so saying I think you are right and will give it some consideration. Thank you for your input. Hope to see you soon

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:27 pm

If I find a good product for a good price, I'll keep going back every chance I could and I'd be sure to tell everyone I know about it too.
If you feel you need more of a profit without increasing the price, maybe you could shorten the sausage an inch or so and increase your margin by 10%
Last edited by DanMcG on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:27 pm

That's a great gesture WW.

Phil :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:54 am

I would buy from you as a loyal customer WW (travel expense is too much I'm afraid). :D

I am a loyal customer to a pork seller at our farmer's market; today I spotted him and he knew what I wanted as soon as he saw me.

Fat back!

Farmer after putting 5.5 pounds in a bag: "How about 3 dollars?"

NCPaul: "How about 4 dollars?"

Farmer: "OK"

I also picked up some flowers for 6 dollars -

Hint to the male members of the sausage forum - 6 dollars spent on flowers will be worth more than 6 dollars.

Okra (for pickling) -

The last of the white peaches -

Blue Lake green beans (waiting for the ones in my garden) -

Banana peppers (for pickling) -

Three tomatoes and some peanuts -

A great day for me; I love farmers markets. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:32 pm

produce looks amazing, so does the fat back!
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:51 pm

WOW nice one PCPaul looks almost good enough to come over.........

As an aside to the sausage pricing question I went with the aforementioned pricing and sold out. I smoked 200 sausages and kept the rest plain so in total we sold 500 sausages in buns & on sticks, 52 breakfast rolls: home cured bacon, free range egg and GOS sausage all in one bun £3 and about 5kg of cheese I smoked over maple (nice flavour)

Happy WW :lol:
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:31 pm

See! WW, I told you that you were too competitively priced (in other words - too cheap) :)
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:50 pm

a quick sixpence is better than a slow shilling!

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:39 pm

welsh wizard wrote:a quick sixpence is better than a slow shilling

That's got to be the forum "saying of the month".

OK, we don't have a "saying of the ...

...but if we did.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Oddwookiee » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:04 pm

wheels wrote:
welsh wizard wrote:a quick sixpence is better than a slow shilling

That's got to be the forum "saying of the month".

OK, we don't have a "saying of the ...

...but if we did.

Phil

I'm going to use that on the boss, I've been beating this drum for years now. A personal favorite that goes right with it is 'I'd rather make a living than make a killing'.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Ok its flying a kite time again! I would like to hear your comments good or bad on the following idea, but a little history first...........I have been cooking burgers at shows for 6 years and although we do extreemly well and only use free range local metats there has to be something better / different.

I was in my local chip shop last Saturday ordering my low fat, healthy, high fibre fish and chips and I was watching in a foodie trance the kebab skewers slowly turning around with their lamb kebab meat fastened tighly to the skeewer and i thought why cant I do that. but with beef?

Cook joints of beef to very rare, load them onto skewers and just carve it off the skewers when needed. Put some good horseraddish sauce out and have some hot onion gravey bubbling away in a soup kettle to pour over the bun if required. Put it in a chip tray with loads of paper towels, jobs a good un? That is unless the more considering of the membership can see problems?????????????

Anyway all comments very gratefully recieved

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:29 pm

Cant see any problems and you may have really hit on something there!

After cooking the joints i would slice into 6 to 9mm thick slices and then stack on the skewer, maybe with a little extra fat between every 8 to 10th layer, when you then sliced down the meat it wound already be in the right size pieces, if you wanted long thin slices then leave as a whole joint, with a "real" doner lamb breast meat is interleaved with lamb tail fat about every 6 layers, experiments required I think and photos please.
Regards Gary.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi just another piece of info, I used to work in the mander centre in Wolverhampton 25 years plus ago, and they were renowned for there hot meat sandwiches, roast pork and stuffing, turkey and stuffing etc.

After speaking to the boss I found out they ordered joints of beef, topside etc from what i remember, they chilled it and then sliced it 2 to 3mm thick and interleaved with greaseprook then froze.

On ordering a steak sandwhich they simply peeled of a couple of slices of beef, hit it on the griddle for 15- 30 secs, threw in a bun or bread topped with onions, devine.

Another gem they showed me was with sandwiches, take your bloomer or farmhouse loaf, whatever, slice down say 1/2 inch thick but leave inch at bottom them slice down at 1" thickness all the way through.
Then fill your sandwhich safe in the knowledge the filling will not fall out the bottom, first sandwich i had made this way was a prawn salad, simple but so effective!

Must have been good i still remember it and i still make sandwiches with this method at bar b q's etc , great with pulled pork.

All the best Regards Gary.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Use a bread that can handle juicy roast beef. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Thank you for your responses, most helpful. I have tried the beef kebab type product on my mates small home kebab machiene and it works really well, a few issues about attaching the meat but no drama, I just need to think about it a bit more.

Right, another thought, sorry! I was wondering how difficult it would be to have a veggie noodle dish on the stand? I have never seen one but my thoughts are, get / make freh noodles, make a veggie broth and keep in a soup kettle steaming away and then put the cold noodles in a bowl and pour on some veggie broth topped with some spring onions or somthing else

Should be able to push it out at a couple of quid a bowl........

All comments, negative or positive gratefully recieved,

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter