Farmers Markets

Introductions and chatter

Postby trotters independant » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:50 am

Hi WW

Have you tried the National Market Traders Federation? they offer a very good cover, and as far as I know it covers all foods eg burgers etc.
trotters independant
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:11 pm

Thanks TI I will give it a go before I take it out.

By the way I have just had my inspection as it were and the good news is I now can start to sell my produce, made in my own kitchen, both directly to the public or even to the trade! The stipulation is I can sell to non final consumers either within a 30 miles radius from my address or in contagious Counties as long as it represents no more than 25% of my turnover.

Sausages, Bacon and non cooked products are fine but pies are not and need to be viewed under a more stringent set of criteria. Interestingly smoked salmon came in for a bit of a roasting (escuse the quip), because it is a raw product.

Anyway, the boards is going outside the cottage tomorrow and a few visits to local pubs (oh god the hardship) replete with sausages for a bit of a try.

Interestingly I have had a good response with beer festivals in and arround the Counties as well as a few Cider festivals who want me to make a sausage using their cider! about half a gallon a pound ought to cover it - hic!

Cheers WW..........
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:21 pm

Hi TI,

I just contacted the NMTF and they will only insure you if there are 5 or more traders trading at the same event i.e. markets, festivals, county shows etc therefore as part of my business is going to cover outside catering then I need to be insured for that also. But hey thanks for the thought..................Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Fisherman » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:08 pm

Hi Welsh Wizard,
Glad the inspection went well.

I don't see why the production and sale of smoked salmon and meat pies should be a problem provided that they are sold, in the main, to the final consumer. You would need to demonstrate that you have adequate procedures in place and you may need to do some microbiological sampling (should be straightforward to organise).

PM me if you need any further info.

Ian
Fisherman
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:19 pm

Hi Fisherman and thank you for your interest.

Pies came in for a grilling because they were cooked rather than raw produce that needed to be cooked and salmon the same. There seems to be a difference between cooked and raw products, which I do understand. However when I answered questions about "probing" meat to 72 - 75 degrees, quick chill and minimal shelf life they were seemingly OK.

I have seperate fridges to store and I do understand about delivering foods at correct tempratures, so they were not too offish. I must say since embarking on this project I have nothing but admaration for the advice and guidance I have recieved from the powers that be. Anyone who is thinking about having a go really should do so it is not all negative and you should not be concerned. as a sweeping statement, I believe a lot of people on this site would be surprised how easy it is to get accreditation because of their real concern with proper production.

I personally now need to get a stratgey together to see how I move forward within my / the kitchens capabilities.

Thanks again for the advice and keep it coming - cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:15 pm

Fascinating stuff WW. We are all rooting for you.

Vinceremos

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:44 pm

Hey wiz,

greta news on the inspection. why the issue with the salmon being raw but not with regards to the Sausages and bacon that will also be sold raw?

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby akesingland » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Hi WW

So I won't expect you at Pinner's Farmers Market then?
All the best with your ventures.

Cheers
Adam
akesingland
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:52 pm

Hi FB

It is because the Sausages and Bacon are produced to be cooked at a temprature hot enough to see off those "make you illy things" and Salmon and pies are to be sold to be eaten as is. Therefore if the "illy things" are already in the cooked / cured product, you the customer do not have a second line of "cooking" defence. In so saying, my smoked salmon will last for an age in the fridge with seemingly no ill effects.

Hi Adam - No Pinner is a bit toooooooo far for me for now.

Cheers WW.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:22 am

Ahhhh The Illy things.... I seee you have been schooled in the sciences ;)

Hoiw loong do you keep S-Salmon for in the fridge? i kept mine for about a week or ten days before I ditched the last bit.

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:53 am

Hi FB, well to be honest, I have had smoked salmon in the fridge for over three weeks and still eaten it with no ill effects, but I am not too sure what the recommended time would be - anyone know?

All I do know is that supermarket salmon has months to run on its SBD

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:52 pm

Doesn't supermarket smoked salmon have a "eat within 2 days of opening" labelling regardlessof the SBD?

My own smoked salmon I treat like my bacon and keep it forever, or at least until it becomes too tough to slice any more :lol: but I do use cure #2 or saltpetre with it.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jpj » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:24 pm

where i work 10 days is recommended on smoked salmon
the once opened issue is due to possible mistreatment of the product by the buyer, sad but true - lowest common denominator sort of thing . . .
jpj
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:39 pm

Hi Dave, JDP -Mostly smoked salmon in my household lasts for about 10 hours let alone 10 days, but there are times like Christmas when ones eyes ane bigger than ones belly - is that really possible?

Anyone out there know of a farmers market that sells Fresh Smoked Salmon - and if so do you know what they charge for it?

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:12 pm

Sorry WW I cant remember, but there is or was a company doing smoked Salmon, as it was featured on TV on some kind of farmers market programme, it was somewhere on the Suffolk/Essex coast area I think, but this may help give you an idea, this is cley smokehouse North Norfolk, good range of products but not cheap!

http://www.cleysmokehouse.com/
Wilf
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter