Split Skins

Introductions and chatter

Split Skins

Postby robin » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:00 pm

Any advice here would be appreciated.

I've just made my second lot of sausages. I used Hog skins soaked overnight. I thought I'd done a pretty good job this time with no air pockets. However when I came to link the sausages some of them split. The technique used was to pinch and twist 3 or 4 times then twist in the opposite direction. It was almost as if the skins were to tightly packed !

I wont waste the split ones but if anyone can give me some advice here I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
robin
Registered Member

Split Skins

Postby Parson Snows » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:21 pm

First of all welcome to the forum

As to your problem, there are several reasons why this could have happened. These are

1) low quality skins being used
Where did you purchase then from?

2) the end of the stuffing horn isn't bevelled.
If the horn is plastic just run some sandpaper around the end to take off any burrs, and to put a slight chamfer on it, the skins can rip easily.

3) the distance from the stuffing horn to the table top is too great putting too much of a strain on the skins when they are full and hanging from the horn.

4) you are stuffing them too much
What size of skin are you using?

I didn't include soaking as you mentioned that you had done that overnight.

Kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby robin » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:55 pm

Thanks for the reply Parson Snows.

The hog casins were bought from Franco so I'm assuming the quality is pretty good.

I'll try the sand paper on the funnel.

However they split after they were off the machine when I was linking them. I think they were probably too full but I don't know how you can avoid overfilling the skins. I was using an electric combined mincer/stuffer and it's hard to control the flow of sausage meat coming through. Maybe I should invest in a proper stuffer.

Thanks
robin
Registered Member

Split Skins

Postby Parson Snows » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:43 pm

It�s just a process of elimination. As you purchased the casings from Franco we�ll rule them out. Plus as you mentioned that you soaked the casings that�s ruled out also. I know that you mentioned that the casings split whilst you were linking the sausages but this could have resulted from them being previously weakened by some other action. Try and limit the vertical distance from the center of the stuffing nozzle to the surface where you are collecting the stuffed skins.

One way that you could try to avoid overstuffing the skins is to make sure that they are evenly �accordioned� along the length of the stuffing tube.┌^^^^^^^^^ and not stacked up at the back like this┌----------^^^^^. Using an electric grinder/stuffer shouldn't present any problems.

If you do use sandpaper on the end of the stuffing nozzle make sure that you don�t add any burrs or sharp edges yourself.

Hope that this is of some use to you

Kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:57 am

Robin

Listening to what you have said it seems you have answered your own problem.

Try again this time and allow air pockets if they happen and avoid over filling, it is better if you can keep your sausage the same diameter as your nozzle. Once you have got the hang of that , then you quickly understand the limits of your machineryand you can adapt accordingly.

I must add though it is much easier with the proper equipment as I too have used the type you have and I also found it difficult.

Last point, they is no need to soak your skins for more than 30 mins.

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Natural Sausage Casings

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:30 am

For casing soaking information refer to "Sausage Making/Techniques/Soaking Natural Casings (Times and Temperatures)"

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Will England » Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:00 am

Robin,

I believe that your problem is either packing too tight or, and think about this, not enough liquid in your meat and spice mixture.

As you start to link each section you force the product and create preasure in two directions, left and right of the twist area. If the mixture is wet enough, it'll merely move and not create a pressure area and rupture the casing.

Something I have always done is add an amount of either ice cold wine or water to soften the meat. You'll notice as soon as you mix in the salt the meat stiffens. Blend all of you spices/herbs, flavorings then add a proportionate amount of ice cold liquid. If you put too much liquid you'll notice it on the bottom of the container you are using to hold your packed or linket product. Wine might enhance the taste somewhat, water seldom will.

One other thing, as you are sliding the casing on to the stuffing horn, start a few inches then put a little oil, such as olive oil down the horn and into the casing. A small amount of the oil will coat the casing and allow it to slide on and off the horn faster and eases the amount of pressure that the packer will attemp to put into the casing while filling. Most of the oil will be in the sink or flushing container when you get the casing on the horn.

As you are packing think about the product your are making and the size of the casing your are using. If the sausage is to be linked short lengths and small casing you must consider the packing volume or pressure, density, or whatever term you consider correct. Longer links will equate to less pinches length of straight packed casings.

Hope this helps you with your "rupture" problems.

Will England,
Decatur, Alabama
Will England
Registered Member

Myosin and Salt

Postby Parson Snows » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:16 am

Will

You stated

You'll notice as soon as you mix in the salt the meat stiffens.

A sausage mixture can be looked on, for most practical purposes, as an emulsion, with the water and protein providing the continuous phase which, within limits, holds the fat, which is the discontinuous phase. The muscle protein - myosin - is the major emulsifying agent, and to be effective it must be released from the muscle. This is partially achieved by the action of salt though more completely by the physical breakdown of muscle fibres during the comminution of the meat/poultry.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby robin » Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:01 am

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I think having considered this I probably had the skins packed to tight and maybe tried to put to many links in. Also I think a proper stuffer like a Reber will help.

I think Santa might have to bring me a late gift this year!
robin
Registered Member

Split Skins

Postby Parson Snows » Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:15 am

robin

certainly a separate mincer/grinder and sausage stuffer is the way to go however, not everyone either requires or can afford/justify such a finanical outlay for the amount of sausage that they make.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Return to Chatter