Help

Introductions and chatter

Postby Fatman » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:37 am

Country by origin and then in alphabetical order would work well.

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:03 pm

Franco I have just emailed Satadip Dutta to ask his permission to use his javascript script to make our database searchable I'm hoping he will agree.

Thanks fatman for the suggestion I will try to make it as easy to find stuff as I can.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:02 pm

Can you Franco or some knowledgeable person please post a full list of the countrys that the sausages that we are going to use come from.

reason when I start making the site I will need it for links.
Oddley
Registered Member

country list

Postby Franco » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:12 pm

Oddley,

These are the regions/countries I suggest.

England
France
Italy
Spain/Portugal
Germany
Eastern Europe
Other European
USA
South America
S E Asia
North Africa
Southern Africa
Other countries

I have not listed many individual countries if they have don't have a large number of readily know recipes, I think that if we have scores of different nations the database will become messy.

As well as listing the recipes by region I think that it is more important that they are listed by type ie.

Fresh (raw) sausage...Ones that require cooking/smoking.
Cooked sausage and meats
Dry cured sausage and meats
Brine cured meats

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:09 pm

Thank you franco for the Country's / types. I will look into all the options available and you will have the opportunity to review the site before it goes live to do any alterations.
Oddley
Registered Member

Countries

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:44 am

Franco

Whatever happened to Ireland, Scotland and Wales?

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

UK

Postby Franco » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:27 pm

Could they be grouped together in a Great Britain section? or do they warrant their own category?

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Countries of Origin

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:37 pm

By all means group them under Great Britain (British) though as the site is British you may want to split it as England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. There are obviously/probably more recipes that will be posted from English Origin as against Irish, Scottish and Welsh. Though personally, being from a Scottish family I'd like to see a Scottish index/heading.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Standardisation

Postby Parson Snows » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:28 am

Sorry for any inconvenience or misunderstanding in my previous posting. Looking back on its content I should have probably PM�d the information to the relevant people rather than putting it on the forum (put it down to Christmas and so many things going on). This will be the route taken in the future, though it is probably better that a specific �work group� be set up for this purpose.

Will England wrote
Standards(:) I believe that there should be some and that most should be adhered to. If I say grind/mince coarsly I could always add, "I use a 3/4 inch plate or a 15 milimeter". Fine-Medium- Coarse would be great as a start. This idea can always be modified. Let's not make it difficult for folks to contribute.

I would never be so pretentious as to tell people what they could submit, or what they are capable of making/producing. The purpose of my post was to question how the �work-group� would manage/standardise what was submitted by forum members to make it a standardised formatted forum as opposed to other forum�s recipe databases that are out there.

Will England wrote
I don't know if there is difficulty removing a post or editing it after it has been posted. Maybe an updated recipe is posted and one of the site managers is asked to remove the "uncorrected version" I think that this can be worked out as well.

I would recommend that there would only be one version of each recipe in the database at any one time (the older revisions should be kept for reference purposes), though their may well be various recipes for the same product (example Lincolnshire Sausage, Keilbasa). These �MASTER� recipes will/should also be marked with a revision number (0a, 0b, etc with the next main revision 1) so that the latest revision can always be followed.

Will England wrote
I think abbreviations should be standard. If your not sure of the abreviation write it out. If you are copying someones recipe and they write out Tablespoons and you use TBS. Then use it.

As I mentioned that was one of my main concerns, however, I would suggest that whatever anyone posts be changed/standardised as required to match the rest of the postings and the agreed database format/content.

Will England wrote
I think this recipe publication is a good idea. Maybe we should not consider trying to correct someones spelling or grammar. If you reply to the post use the correct grammar or spelling. My American English is not exactly like the Queen's English. As long as we convey our ideas to someone else, does the spelling really make a difference?

Though the �work group� may decide otherwise, in my opinion the grammar/language should also be standardised across the whole database for continuity.

Kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

database

Postby Franco » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:14 am

This is a recipe database from Neil who is a mod on the River Cottage forum, if you want to use it's format he can help put it together, I think the general layout is ok it just needs a better design which my desinger can play with, Oddley was this the type iof thing you had in mind?

I have set up a usergroup for the recipe database, I've added a few users if anyone else wants to be included PM me.

Franco

http://www.learningindustries.com/nrk/recipes/
Franco
Site Admin

Searchable Databases

Postby Parson Snows » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:15 am

Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:57 pm

Hi guys

Franco I think the site should be more in keeping with the forum. I am glad to here you have organized a workgroup to sort out the pdf files. Remember the format and look of said pdf files is what the user will judge us on. I have made a start on the site Pics Below even though I said not until the new year.

Parson you are right the first link is where I got the javascript and am waiting for permission to use it. As I really have only just started the site I have not had time to try it out.

This is only the alpha version of the index page so still needs a lot of work. As you can see we have a cascading javascript menu on the left frame for navigation. Like Franco's shop the site is in frames so only the middle page changes. on this page I intend to have the final links to the pdf files.

Please feel free to comment.
Last edited by Oddley on Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oddley
Registered Member

Searchable database

Postby Parson Snows » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:50 pm

Just a thought, but if I was looking up a sausage recipe to make for an occasion etc. I would first look up PORK, BEEF, etc. It may be preferable to use this logic as the start of your search filter as Muslims, etc. would not be interested in Pork Recipes.

If the search criteria started as

"All"
"Pork---X"
"Beef --X"
"Lamb--X"
"Game"
"Fish"

The user input "X's" would then list all Pork, Beef and Lamb recipes once a Country/region has been selected. Or you could possibly have an option to view ALL Pork sauages from ALL countries/Regions.

For example

Query ---- : Meat Used + Type of Sausage + Country of Origin
User Input :Pork, Beef -- Fresh----------------ALL

this would list all Fresh Pork Sausages plus all Fresh Beef Sausages for ALL countries.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Last edited by Parson Snows on Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

A-Z

Postby Franco » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:56 pm

Will there be an A-Z listing if you don't want to got through the whole process?

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

usergroup

Postby Franco » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:59 pm

The usergroup is live bur how do I pst on it?

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter