Help

Introductions and chatter

Postby Oddley » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:30 pm

I really wanted thoughts on style rather than content at the moment

Parson I have not even thought about starting the search page yet I am still sorting out navigation and style I'll think about the search when the time comes. But I'll keep the suggestion in mind thanks.

Franco good suggestion I never thought about a A-Z listing in the menu I will put it in.

I'm not really sure what you are talking about Franco if you are saying you have set up a newsgroup on Usenet then this can be accessed through your email package but you have to set it up and know the address of the newsgroup server of your ISP. If you have done this then you had better post the name of the newsgroup so people can post to it.
Oddley
Registered Member

User Group

Postby Parson Snows » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:42 pm

Oddley

Franco is talking about the Usergroups at the top of this web page. He has set up a "recipe database working group", you're one of the members.

As to my suggestions etc. I only posted these as you mentioned that you probably wouldn't start on the layout etc. until the New Year, though when I saw your posting it seems that you were already well ahead.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:44 pm

Just a thought, it will be beginners and newcomers who need to find the site attractive, simple and easy to follow.

Would such a person know to find a sausage by its ingredients? Or would finding it by it's name be easier ? or even origin ?

Could we allocate a friend to new user's for their first few visits, i.e. being someone there to guide them via the p.m. system and only if it was of help not as a requirement?

Just my two penneth worth, I'm not trying to dictate.

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Sausage Recipe database

Postby Parson Snows » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:29 am

Fatman

for your information Franco has also put you as one of the "recipe database working group" members. See "Usergroups" at top of web page.

As to your comments. You wrote

Would such a person know to find a sausage by its ingredients? Or would finding it by it's name be easier ? or even origin ?

Their will be an A-Z listing, plus country of origin and I'm sure that Oddley will try and make it as simple and "user friendly" as possible. The help function could be by way of pop-up help screens though as Oddley mentioned it's very early days yet.

kind regards

Parson Snows

PS Oddley when the time comes for coding it might be a nice feature to be able to have people "rate" a recipe plus post a comment

Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Function/feature Wish list

Postby Parson Snows » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:43 pm

Oddley

I don�t know if you will have the time or the resources to do this. But if you could take a look at the following link it has a lot of the �built-in� functions (adding attachments, adding tables, adding e-mails, centered text etc.) that I personally feel this forum is missing.

http://www.kamado.com/cgi-bin/discus/sh ... post=24645

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:34 pm

I have finally finished the design of the formatting. What do you all think of the style?

The brief for the recipes site was to have a database of recipes perhaps searchable. That is what I am aiming for. As for writing and maintaining a javascript forum with cgi support. I have two words for you NO WAY. Do you realise how much work is envolved in that?

I have already spent a great deal of my very expensive time making the recipe site. So unless someone else wants to do it there will be no review system no popup help system and nothing else from me that will take large amounts of time to write.

I am sorry if I sound Bolshe but just to get this site going is still going to take considerable work. I will very soon be waiting for the recipes and as far as I can see nothing has been done with them it's all very well setting up workgroups but that is only a talking shop. Arses need to be got in gear to mix a metephor.

Don't think that I am complaining I am happy to do it for the forum.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:02 pm

Oddley

First of all, Well Done the format looks great, simple to use and effective.

I will drip feed you some recipes over the next few month's.

As for your comments , you are absolutely right to say what you said and I for one am grateful for your efforts, I'm sure given time the newcomers to this site will access this area and feel they have reached the best place to be.

Again, Well Done!

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Not Bolshe in the Slightest

Postby Parson Snows » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:08 pm

Oddley

I don�t think that you�re being Bolshe at all, sorry but I was not sure as to what was agreed between you and Franco. Franco was the one that stated that he would like to have the �BEST� site out there. I was just trying to point out what in my view was a minimum requirement to achieve this goal. Using Imageshack � however good it is � for downloading graphics, tables, calculations etc. is not conducive of the standard that he said he wanted to attain. I appreciate what you have done and if the others were aware of what was involved then I�m sure that they would thank you also. As to the recipes, or at least the �Master� recipe � as a minimum � I have looked everyday for anything that has been PM�d to me or in the �Usergroups� box and to date have found nothing.

As to your layout I think that the colours and format blend in well with the existing web site/forum. For the �Download� portion do you intend to use Adobe Reader so that the user has the option of just �viewing� it once downloaded or saving a copy to disc etc. if required?

Kind regards

Parson Snows

PS I believe that Franco mentioned that he had a web guy?
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:44 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. I think that if Franco wants the absolute best he is going to have to pay his web guy about �3000. Franco if you are reading this tell the guys what you want done and distribute the pdf files and any word docs they were made from.

As yet unfinished the first page will contain text explaining what the site is about how to navigate and explaining about Adobe Acrobat reader with a link to the Adobe site to download the reader.

Even with the basic reader once it has downloaded the pdf file in the browser the pdf file can be saved for reference later.

pdf files are by no means an ideal solution but on the plus side they can be downloaded quickly with all the images and formatting saved.
Oddley
Registered Member

PDF

Postby Franco » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:50 pm

Oddley,

all the work you have done so far is very much appreciated, There's a REber mincer here with your name on it :lol: I think that the format you have started is good and we don't need anything with drop downs etc. we need to keep it simple and easy to use.

The hundred or so PDF recipe files I have are not the best, they are listed in imperial only and don't follow our agreed format including description, origin etc. can they be altered to conform or is it easier for us all to make new PDF's to the agreed format?

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

PDF format and Misc

Postby Parson Snows » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:27 pm

Franco

You wrote
I think that the format you have started is good and we don't need anything with drop downs etc. we need to keep it simple and easy to use.

The use of drop down menus and pop-up help screens MAKE IT EASIER.

Help at the touch of a key!

The user interface is often what makes a whole concept/project work. "User-friendly" - guiding the user through the maze of information to the answer that he/she wants.

You wrote
The hundred or so PDF recipe files I have are not the best, they are listed in imperial only and don't follow our agreed format including description, origin etc. can they be altered to conform or is it easier for us all to make new PDF's to the agreed format?

They are probably useless. Even without seeing them I say this because I feel that the format etc. will be non-standard throughout and would probably be quicker to agree on a "Master" copy and then everyone follow that layout and redo everything.

Check out the following link to judge where Sausagemaking.org is

http://www.kamado.com/cgi-bin/discus/sh ... post=24645

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:23 pm

Franco the best way to go forward is to copy the recipes from wherever you got them from into separate rtf documents in Microsoft word I assume all the volunteers have Microsoft word.

Then just distribute the rtf files to the volunteers to format in the agreed fashion. Keeping the size of any images to a minimum use the .jpg format. The rtf docs can then be returned to you formatted to make into Adobe .pdf files keep all the rtf( Rich Text Format) files as a master copy.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:42 pm

Oh Fronco there is a couple of thing I should have explained smaller image size means how many bytes it is not it's physical dimensions. At a pinch wordpad that comes free with all Microsoft operating systems could be used to format the rtf files.

You can email the files to people if you winzip them. Winzip is a shareware program to compress and archive files and a free download.

http://www.winzip.com

If the volunteers download it the files can be decompressed the other end. they could also use it to send the rtf files back to you.
Oddley
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Chatter