Gravy

Introductions and chatter

Gravy

Postby sausagemaker » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi All

Bit of a long shot this.
I am looking for a manufacturer in the states / Canada to make real gravy for the (Campaign for real gravy) & market it in the US, where it has a massive following.
Over 6 million hits to the web site all requesting details of where to buy.
I can supply commercial details & introductions to the copy right owners to the right connection.
I am in no way connected with this deal although I did the commercial development for the product & I am not be doing this for gain for myself, I am trying to help the guy out.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:51 pm

Is this the Gordon Ramsays Kitchen Knightmares mob?
aris
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:32 am

Hi Aris

Yes it is, the program has taken the State's by storm & is televised every day.
If there was ever a time to jump on a band wagon it's now.
Just a pity it does not have the same following here

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:36 am

I'd suggest you post this in the chatter thread as well to make sure all our transatlantic friends see it, or we could move this one there, it may well get more hits on the front page as it were.

Dave

Edit: Moved...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby aris » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:35 pm

We have real gravy here - it is called Bisto :cry:
aris
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:22 pm

Aaaah Bisto...

Never used it myself :)

Just out of interest (and to give the thread a free bump) what defines real gravy in the US campaign?

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:35 pm

Aris

You are a sad man
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:21 am

Bisto is disgusting - but i'm sure we could send it stateside and pass it off as "Real Gravy"
aris
Site Admin

Postby Bad Flynch » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:33 pm

>but i'm sure we could send it stateside and pass it off as "Real Gravy"<

Aris,

Assuming that this is a discussion of real gravy vs. commercial:

There are still a few of us over here who know what real gravy is and, like me, can make it. Most of my friends simply marvel at real gravy. Part of the problem is that the wives do not even understand the cooking processes that lead up to the preparation of gravy. I learned at the side of my grandmother.
B.F.
Bad Flynch
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:17 pm

Bisto is passed off as gravy in most of the UK, so it might be possible pass it off as gravy over there too if they are as gullible as much of the UK market is. Fortunately, there are people like BF who know better :)
Herein lies the magic of this forum, where people who know about real food can swap ideas and have a natter wherever they are on the planet.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Bad Flynch » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:39 pm

Since this is a sausage making forum, I should mention that old southern U.S. favorite: sausage, biscuits, and gravy. It is ubiquitous in the south and found, nowadays, even in the north.

Back in the days when pigs were butchered at home, many southerners had biscuits and gravy for breakfast 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Pigs were cheap and so was moo juice.

It can be quite elegant when the biscuits are the real baking powder variety and freshly baked. Nowadays, most housewives will use whomp biscuits. The real thing, made with a fraction of cake flour to make them lighter and fluffier and, when made with real butter and/or lard, are quite spectacular freshly made, right out of the oven.

One can spoil the whole wretched mess by putting too much meat in the gravy: about 1/3 Lb. of sausage for 2 cups of gravy is right. That is an eyeballed measurement, of course, and this was poor folks fare. Simply make the white gravy with the sausage grease and drippings in the same pan. Salt and a heavy dose of freshly ground pepper are required here and a smidgen of freshly ground nutmeg always helps white sauces, too.

Eat your fill and sit back to watch the waistline grow.
B.F.
Bad Flynch
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:11 pm

Sounds good BF :)
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Gordon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:06 am

I had the Biscuits and Gravy mentioned by BF last year whilst on holiday, I have to say it took me by surprise, it's nothing like real "British" gravy. For one thing it's very thick and white and the version I had was made from fish stock, I was in Seattle so I suppose the fish connection was understandable.

So are we looking for a recipe for "US" gravy or "Brit" gravy ?
<a>Chop On Line </a>
Gordon
Registered Member

Postby Bad Flynch » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:50 pm

>So are we looking for a recipe for "US" gravy or "Brit" gravy ?<

Seattle is a funny town, so I don't really know why they would make white gravy for buscuits with fish stock, but then basic white sauce is the basis for many secondary sauces, such as veloute. However, here is a reliable recipe for basic white sauce/gravy.

2 Tablespoons full grease/oil and meat drippings. Sausage and gravy is better with meat drippings that contain enough sausage grease to make it work. Make the gravy in the pan in which you browned and broke up the sausage into pieces.

2 Tablespoons full all-purpose flour.
1/2 pinch or so of freshly grated nutmeg.

Heat the oil and meat drippings, then add the flour. The less real water based liquid the better, to start with. Mix and heat thoroughly, but do not brown the roux (or it will not be very white). Cook the flour long enough to break down the starch granules.

Add 2 cups of whole milk, one cup at at time, stirring so that clumps are avoided. Bring back to a gentle simmer. I sometimes substitute a portion of heavy cream. The mix should be cold and thin long enough for the heat to raise the temp of the milk slowly so that the milk deglazes the pan.

Simmer gently until the gravy is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and leave a line when wiped with a finger. You can reduce it further, if you wish. Be sure to cook long enough to get rid of the "floury" taste.

Add a healthy dose of freshly ground black pepper and salt to tast. However, do not salt until the meat is in the gravy (if you removed it to make the gravy).
B.F.
Bad Flynch
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:36 am

As we are on the gravy train :lol: , and it may be a subject better suited in recipie, but here is a little tip to make really good gravy for pork.

Place pork in a roasting tin, add a couple of sliced onions and add 1/2 to 3/4 a pint of water and cook in the normal way. This method will roast the meat as well as keeping the joint very moist.

Make gravy in the usual way i.e. drain off all but a few tablespoons of fat from the cooking juices, add flower, put over heat to thicken and cook flower out and then instead of adding water from the potatoes or veg use a bottle of cider instead and season to taste. This makes a truly fantastic gravy / sauce for all cuts of pork.

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Next

Return to Chatter