On line recipe database

Introductions and chatter

On line recipe database

Postby boslow » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:49 pm

Franco,

I have looked at the first recipe on the website and I am sure over time it can grow into a large and useful addition. But as a customer of sausagemaking.org I would also like to be able to download the instruction sheets for your mixes, cures etc with perhaps a simple recipe to get started with. Ie step by step simple beginer instruction for say salami using your ingredients and equipment. As a newbie to sausage making and curing a one stop place where I can get good ingredients and equipment and simple detailed instruction to help with the first attempt would ensure that I came back time and again.
boslow
Registered Member

recipes

Postby Franco » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:58 pm

The idea of the recipe guides are designed for that purpose, as more recipes are added especially the ones for cured meat products they will include the method as well as the ingredients.

As for the ingredients on the site I will start adding instructions on use of cures etc. there are already instructions for the bacon cures on the site and more will be added as and when I get the time.

Fatman and I have talked about a step by step guide to sausage making that will be a photo tutorial and be posted on the site, once again I am pushed for time but the intention is to do a tutorial for bacon curing, sausage making and salami making.

Regards

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:09 pm

Franco as a regular customer. The main thing I would like to see on the shop site is data sheets on the Prague cures and bacon cures.

I think this would enhance your business as I and I suspect many semi advanced users would like to experiment with them.

I think this move will enhance the sales. Who in there right mind would try to make these cures themselves when they are readily available from you.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:54 am

Yes, I agree. I would have thought that this might even be a statutory requirement?
aris
Site Admin

declaration

Postby Franco » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:07 am

Aris,

It is not a statutory requirement to publish them on the website, but I will post them if you are concerned, the law states that the ingredients declaration of products must be available to purchasers which it is.

I will be posting the data sheets that are supplied by Lucas as I buy some of my cures from them, any others will come from the blender that mixes my other cures ie. the tradtional and organic ones.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:09 am

Hi Franco,

Yes, i'd like to see them if possible.
aris
Site Admin

spec sheets

Postby Franco » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:12 am

No problem, as and when they come in I'll post them.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby deb » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:13 am

I'm also with Oddley here. I would like to know more about how to use such items before buying. Just knowing what they ARE used in and not HOW they are used I find a bit disappointing, if I were more aware of how to use them I would be much more inclined to buy them. To the casual user of your main site who doesn't come to the forums I should think the uncertainty of use could be a big factor in a no sale.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

cures etc.

Postby Franco » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:21 am

Deb,

The bacon cures have instructions on the site along with the product description. For beginners it is not recommended that you use a non premixed cure ie. cure 1 or 2 or saltpetre for safety reasons, It is much better to start your curing adventure with premixed cures, I started this way..

PS

I do post info on the cures:

cure 2
Warning

Please read carefully before using this product

Cure number 2

This cure is a mixture of sea salt, Sodium Nitrite and Sodium Nitrate

This is a slow acting cure that can be used for sausage that is cured and dried, and can be eaten without cooking.

Please note that Sodium Nitrite and Sodium Nitrate are toxic chemicals , used correctly this cure is very safe but utmost care must be taken to measure it accurately before adding it to your recipe.

You must follow recipes that call for Cure 2 or �Prague Powder number 2� exactly.

As a general rule most recipes call for two level tea spoons (approx 10 grammes) of Cure 2 to 10 pounds (4.5 Kilos) of meat, however this is a general guide. YOU MUST FOLLOW RECIPES EXACTLY!!!!!

Cure 2 is not a replacement for salt, extra salt must be added as required by the recipe.

Unused Cure 2 can be stored in a dry jar after use.

If you need further explanation of the use of this cure please contact us.

I think that this warning is sufficient and I encourage people who are unsure of it's use to contact us for a personal explanation of it's use, is this not enough?

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Cure warnings

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:40 am

Franco

You wrote
For beginners it is not recommended that you use a non premixed cure ie. cure 1 or 2

Surely Cure #1 (Sodium Nitrate) and Cure #2 (Sodium Nitrate & Sodium Nitrite) are the premixed cures. Cure # 1 being 16 parts salt to 1 part Sodium Nitrite etc.

You wrote
Unused Cure 2 can be stored in a dry jar after use.

As the fatal dose of potassium nitrate for adult humans is in the range of 30 to 35 grams consumed as a single dose; and the fatal dose of sodium nitrite is in the range of 22 to 23 milligrams per kilogram of body weight it is recommended that due to this toxicity cures such as Cure #1 and Cure #2 are kept under lock and key, away from the general public, children etc.

Lower doses of sodium or potassium nitrate or sodium nitrite have caused acute methemoglobinemia (when hemoglobin loses its ability to carry oxygen), particularly in infants, resulting from conversion of nitrate to nitrite after consumption.

I would also suggest that you include a mention that CURE #2 is NOT to be used for Bacon.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby deb » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:24 pm

I would NOT mix cures myself, I have nowhere near enough knowledge to do this. Believe me, I'm not a risk taker.
Perhaps when there are more recipes on the database for things using these cures it will all become a lot clearer.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby robin » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:33 pm

I agree with Deb on this one.

I'm pretty new to all this but so far I have made 3 lots of bacon using Franco's cure mix. All 3 have turned out very good I'm pleased to say. I phoned Franco with a couple of questions which he answered to get me started. The bacon curing was very easy to do.

I've also now made 4 lots of fresh sausage using Franco's pre-mixed recipies. Cumberland, Chorizio, Italian and Sicilian. Again the results have been good. I think I made the mistake in overfilling the hog skins with the first 2 attempts and so had some split skins both when linking and cooking. However the second 2 batches were much better. The hygiene side of things was easy to follow and I've picked up some good tips from this forum which I'm following. So again I'm improving and no real problems here.

However I notice that the Chorizio and Italian sausage can be dried by mixing with cure 2. I'd like to give this a try.

However I'm a lot more cautious about trying this due to my lack of knowledge on the subject and what I've read about botulism etc. Therefore some step by step instructions on the web site would give me the confidence to have a go. I'm talking about a real beginner's guide here. Sorry if these are daft questions.

1) Type of meat to use. I've read you need to use certified pork in an American book for example.

2) When to cure the meat. Is it before you add the spice mixture or do you do it all at once.

3) Do you use hog skins

4) Type of environment to hang

5) Do you link these like normal sausage or do youe use string.

6) Do you need some sort of thermomiter or any other equipment.

7) How long to hang for

I'm sure if some sort of step by step guide was available it would be good for business. Certainly I'd have a go if I had more confidence.
robin
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:16 pm

Most of your questions are answered at Len Poli's site here:

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/
aris
Site Admin

drying sausage

Postby Franco » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:21 pm

Robin,

that's the sort of feed back i need :lol: I'm glad your having success with the mixes, I take your point and I will post instructions on how to dry the chorizo if cure 2 is added, I'll send this out with any mixes I sell and post it on the website.

Regards

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Return to Chatter