Help - Sausage making virgin

Introductions and chatter

Help - Sausage making virgin

Postby johnjohnstone » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:56 pm

Hi,

I've just started making sausages and have a couple of questions that I hope you guys can help me with:

1) I've been making sausages using recipes without cure, and freezing them straight away. When should I consider using / need to use cure #1?

2) I bought a bag of hickory smoked powder, and am uncertain when I should use it, and how much? Is it just a case of sprinkling it into the ingredients to give a pleasant smoky taste?
John
johnjohnstone
Newly Registered

Postby aris » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:16 pm

Hi,

You don't need cure for fresh sausages if you are going to eat them fresh, or freeze them, and defrost and eat as fresh. Cures are used as a preservative and also keep the meat pink after cooking (like a ham or bacon).

Franco's hicory powder says to use 0.5g (half a gram) per kilo of sausage. It might be a good idea to mix that with some kind of liquid before mixing into the meat to make it mix evenly.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Parson Snows » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:18 pm

First of all welcome to the forum

1) I've been making sausages using recipes without cure, and freezing them straight away. When should I consider using / need to use cure #1?

Fresh sausages do not require curing. You only cure products that will be smoked and cooked or dry-cured items, such as bacon, corned beef etc.

2) I bought a bag of hickory smoked powder, and am uncertain when I should use it, and how much? Is it just a case of sprinkling it into the ingredients to give a pleasant smoky taste?

I would recommend that you mix it with any water/liquid added to your sausage mix. As to how much that should be on the directions provided by the manufacturer as each type varies. Where did you buy it?

I hope that this answers your questions

Kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:21 pm

Welcome to the forum johnjohnstone

If you are making fresh sausage you don't need Cure #1 unless the recipe specifically states that you to use it. But I would suggest you don't freeze the sausages straight away but leave them in the bottom of the fridge overnight to mature.

If you brought you hickory smoke powder from Franco then here is his instructions for use.

Franco wrote:Hickory Smoke Powder

Add that authentic smoke flavour to sausages, bacon or any other recipe. This is a natural product that is simple to use and tastes great.

Please note that this is a highly concentrated powder and only tiny amounts are required to flavour food, the recommemded usage is 0.05% in the finished product, ie. 0.5 gramme per kilo of finished sausage etc.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby johnjohnstone » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:07 pm

Guys,

Thanks very much for getting back to me so quickly, much appreciated.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome!!
John
johnjohnstone
Newly Registered

Glad to help

Postby Parson Snows » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:24 pm

JohnJohnstone wrote
Thanks very much for getting back to me so quickly, much appreciated.

The thank you doesn't buy it. I will take it upon myself and state that as an unwritten rule that ALL newbies, newcomers, sausage making virgins or whatever you want to be called must post accounts of their first adventures into the depths of sausage making. These must include all errors made and problems encountered. Personally I think that it's little to ask for, and other newcombers will benefit from your experiences and errors made.

Sound fair?
kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Return to Chatter