Beginners tale

Introductions and chatter

Beginners tale

Postby SysMan65 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:59 pm

Hi

Thought I'd relate my experiences so far. I've been reading this forum ever since I found sausagemaking.org and ordered some casings, seasonings and cures.

The local butchers around here are generally ignorant, arrogant or just plain rude, and besides all that they cant make a decent Lincolnshire sausage (not that I'm that good either!), they can make haggis and very salty steak pies though....

So far I managed to persuade a particularly rude local butcher to part with 2Kg of the cut or pork they use for Ayrshire style bacon which I cured with Franco's traditional bacon cure. Very, very, very nice indeed! Everyone was very impressed with the taste and texture of the bacon. It was also a blessing to be able to cut it as thick as I like at last!! It looked stunning in the pan when fried; it lay there just as I put it in - no nasty white goo exuding from it, no shrinking, no curling up. No longer do I need to attack a piece of bacon with a fish slice in frenzied attempt to get it to cook evenly!! Looks even better with a egg and sausage next to it. :D

I also got my hands on some pork shoulder and made up a batch of Italian and a batch of Lincolnshire. I put a bit too much black pepper in the Lincolnshire, but it was still so much nicer than the local attempts. I use a Kenwood + mincer + sausage attachment which I find very quick and easy. I also have to say that I disagree with previous posters that to use this setup requires two people when it comes to stuffing the cases � I�ve done several batches now and find it very easy to manage, just keep the Kenwood ticking over at minimum.

I going to try a garlic type sausage this weekend and possibly a Chorizo using Franco�s mix, I�ve got some #2 cure so I�ll try to dry them out in my cool and drafty pantry.

Thanks for all the info I�ve gained from this site, it really helped me make a success of my sausages and bacon. :)

Cheers
SysMan65
Newly Registered

welcome

Postby Franco » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:07 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed the bacon :lol: I haven't bought any shop or supermarket bacon for years now and can't see myself doing so again.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Welcome Newbie

Postby Robert May » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:32 pm

Welcome to the forum SysMan65

I'm also a newcomber though for the past couple of days I have been scouring this forum as a guest, thought it time to join.

You wrote
So far I managed to persuade a particularly rude local butcher to part with 2Kg of the cut or pork they use for Ayrshire style bacon

There is a recipe on here for Ayrshire bacon, one of the few that I've ever seen posted anywhere. I don't know where Parson Snows got it, but I will definately have to try it out one of these days. The English don't understand real bacon, you having tried Ayrshire bacon you'll understand what I mean.

You wrote
I also got my hands on some pork shoulder and made up a batch of Italian and a batch of Lincolnshire. I put a bit too much black pepper in the Lincolnshire, but it was still so much nicer than the local attempts

there is also a recipe for a Lincolnshire sausage on this site, which is why I first decided to register. Franco also sells a mix but I have never used it so I don't know how it is. I looked for product reviews experiences etc. and couldn't find any. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?

You also wrote
I going to try a garlic type sausage this weekend

try the Pork and Garlic sausages on the site. They came from a UK butcher and are excellent. I wonder if Parson Snows has any more.

I have found this site to be informative for the information that I can find, I'll be back often.

best wishes

RM
It's not what on the table that counts
It's who's on the chairs
Robert May
Registered Member

Return to Chatter