Looking for recipe

Introductions and chatter

Looking for recipe

Postby Holly » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:58 am

I had a visitor to my website who sent me the following message. I would like to help her but have not heard of this before. Here is her message:

"My cousin is searching for a recipe to make rolla pulsa. It is a sandwich meat recipe and it is found under sausage, but I never thought of it as that. A flank is rolled and soaked in spices. I have never tasted it because the smell didn't appeal to me, but most people raved about it. I think it may be a German dish, but some people think is it Scandinavian. Thanks for your help. "

Can anyone on this board help me with an answer for her? thanks!
Holly
Newly Registered

Postby sausagemaker » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:11 am

Hi Holly

Firstly welcome to the forum

Rolla Pulsa is a Scandinavian rolled meat, follow the link below
http://www.grandrapids-mn.com/placed/in ... _id=167569

The recipe listed also came from this site
Rolla Pulsa (A Scandinavian rolled meat)
Vera has made this every Christmas (except one) for as long as she can remember. It is a lengthy and time consuming process but she and her friends agree that it is well worth the effort.
6 pounds beef flank
3 pounds lean pork
4 pounds round steak or veal (the meat should be special ordered well in advance)
Spice mixture: 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon allspice, 1 teaspoon salt peter, 1 tablespoon chopped onion
Spread out the beef flank. It should be about 1/8 inch thick. Put layer of spice mixture over the flank. Put layer of pork and then a layer of spice mixture over the pork. Put beef round steak on top and roll up like a jelly roll and then tie with string. Tie often. This will take lots of string. Soak in a salt brine. The brine has to have enough salt to float an egg. After soaking for 10-14 days, boil for 45 minutes. After it has been boiled, it must be pressed. Vera places a huge bread board over it and then puts a cedar chest on the bread board to weight it down. Press overnight. Wrap in foil. Slice. Serve with lefse.

Hope this helps

regards
sausagemaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Holly » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:22 am

Thanks so much for finding this recipe! I really appreciate it.
Holly
Newly Registered

Postby Erikht » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:58 pm

I usually make rull, or rullep�lse, with the flanks of mutton. The spices sausagemaker mentions are fine, some black pepper and cloves can be nice too.

I smear the spices on the "inside" of the flank, and then fold the bits ant pieces over so the flank look slightly like a triangle. After that, roll it and put some skewers in to keep it in shape. Sew it up.

I like to dry salt it for a couple of days, and then let it hang cool for a few days, before smoking. After that, the simmering. It should not boil, that has a tendency to dry it out.

If you press it, it get a nicer shape, put pressing can dry it out a little.

When it come to taste and smell, it will taste and smell of the spices you use. Try other spices, if you like.
Erikht
Global Moderator

Return to Chatter