Looking at labels

Introductions and chatter

Looking at labels

Postby aris » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:32 pm

Ever since I got into this sausage making thing, I find myself studying every label I can find at the supermarket. I'm curious to know what preservatives are used (intrates/nitrites for instance E249-E252), phosphates, etc. They usually do not give much away with regard to spices and seasonings, but some do - and they can give you some good ideas.

Today, I bought some sausage made in Poland - from PEK - which I think is a very large sausage maker there. I got some Kabanos, which are a pork sausage stuffed into thin casings with nitrite & spices, then hot smoked. The sausage goes all wrinkly and dry and can easily be eaten cold or grilled and are delicious.

On the other the label says Wiejska and is described as a traditional polish farmers boiling ring sausage. It is a very fat sausage - probably stuffed in an ox runner (assuming it is a natural casing - i have not opened the package yet), and tied together in a ring. It too has nitrite, and "spices", plus garlic. I'm not sure if this one is already cooked - but I suspect it has already been boiled.
aris
Site Admin

Postby aris » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:35 am

I tried the Wiejska - it is essentially a ham sausage - or at least that is what it tastes like). Large and small pieces of pork stuffed into a ox runner/beef middle type casing with spices, and cure - tied into a ring shape, and then I suspect it was then gently simmered to cook.

The result is basically a ham in a sausage shape - perhaps even a bit like SPAM (but better).

This particular sausage did not appear to have a natural casing - it was more paper-like and tore off quite easily. I don't think it was collagen either. Perhaps they are fibrous casings? Are these supposed to be edible?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:27 pm

aris wrote:I tried the Wiejska

Wiejska is the most popular form of Kielbasa, or Polish sausage, in the United States.

1 1/2 lb. pork
1/2 lb.veal
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. marjoram
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp. mustard seed
1/4 cup crushed ice

Cut the meat into small chunks, then grind the meat with the seasonings and ice, mix this well. Stuff the meat mixture into the casing. Smoke in an outside smoker following the manufacturer's directions, or you can place the sausage in a casserole and cover it with water and bake at 350� F until water is absorbed, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Million Mom March For Gun Confiscation
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/mmm.html
Bob
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:31 pm

Hi Aris

The casings are fibrous and not edible but need to be peeled away before use.

Regrads
sausagemaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:00 pm

I did peel the casing away - though the package had no instructions telling you to do so :-) I suppose these fibrous casings are just some sort of paper?

The other sausage I mention - Kabanos - must have used collagen casings. They were not peelable and quite tender. They also contained Caraway seeds (as used in rye bread) which I must say were delicous - i'll definatley try carraway seeds in the future when I experiment a bit.

Has anyone tried to smoke sausage made with collagen?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:42 pm

aris wrote:I suppose these fibrous casings are just some sort of paper?

From http://www.alliedkenco.com/info_casing_fibrous.htm:

Fibrous casings are produced by forming a continuous tube from a special paper which is then impregnated with cellulose. These casings feature exceptional regularity of diameter and very high mechanical strength.

Manufactured for smoked or dried products with excellent permeability for water & smoke penetration. Use for bologna, salami and summer sausage. These casings are non-edible.

How to Use:
In order to provide adequate flexibility and increased breakage resistance during stuffing, fibrous casings must be soaked in water prior to use. Minimum recommended soaking time is 30 minutes and maximum 8 hours in water at 80� to 100� F ( 27� to 38� C ).

Storage and Handling Instructions:
Store in a cool, dry location away from steam pipes, hot storage areas or direct sunlight. Best storage temperatures are 40� to 75� F (4� to 24� C). Keep sealed in original containers until ready to use. Keep fresh by using oldest first.

How long do you soak fibrous casings?
Usually they should soak at least 30 minutes in 80� to 100� F ( 27� to 38� C ) water.

How tight should fibrous be stuffed?
The product should feel very firm. Automated stuffing and clipping can achieve the firmest finished product. Hand stuffing and clipping can achieve good results with practice.

What sizes do you have and which should I use?
We offers several sizes however the correct size depends on the specifications for the type product being made.

What is the best way to store fibrous casings?
Store fibrous that has not been soaked In a cool dry room.

Why is my fibrous splitting when I stuff it?
Did not soak casing properly
Casing has been stored in a hot, dry place.
Casing has been overstuffed.
Product deficiency ...... Call Us
Million Mom March For Gun Confiscation
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/mmm.html
Bob
Registered Member

Return to Chatter