Re Freezing Meat

Introductions and chatter

Re Freezing Meat

Postby deb » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:02 pm

I thought re-freezing meat that had been frozen and then defrosted was a big no-no. However in the recesses of my mind I seem to remember someone on here (appologies, can't remember who) said that as long as the meat temperature didn't rise above 4or5 degrees, I think, (normal fridge operating temperature) it was o.k. to re-freeze it. I looked for this discussion but don't know which thread it was on.

I'm asking this as I bought some back fat today which I have cut up and frozen (Aris uses this from frozen then re-freezes and I believe this is o.k.). Some of the fat had meat on and I removed this but I now want to store this meat in the freezer for use in sausages at a later date, some of which will definately be frozen. If I keep the meat in the fridge at all times, except when mincing, will this be o.k.?

I could always use the meat for something else but it would be handy if I could use it in sausages. It would also mean I could keep a supply of meat in the freezer to use at my convenience.

The main thing in all this is that the meat will still be safe.

Thanks.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby Robert May » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:30 pm

deb wrote
I thought re-freezing meat that had been frozen and then defrosted was a big no-no. However in the recesses of my mind I seem to remember someone on here (appologies, can't remember who) said that as long as the meat temperature didn't rise above 4or5 degrees, I think, (normal fridge operating temperature) it was o.k. to re-freeze it. I looked for this discussion but don't know which thread it was on.

You can find it here
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=278&start=19

best wishes

RM
It's not what on the table that counts
It's who's on the chairs
Robert May
Registered Member

Postby deb » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:46 pm

Thanks Robert.

Think I'll use the meat I have for something else and then only use fresh stuff in sausages. Better to be safe than sorry.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby Robert May » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:58 pm

Deb said
I thought re-freezing meat that had been frozen and then defrosted was a big no-no

Remember that it wasn't so long ago that the people's consensus was that the earth was flat. Though it doesn't mean that you shouldn't question it the "goal posts" change all of the time. (and will continue to do so)

best wishes
RM
It's not what on the table that counts
It's who's on the chairs
Robert May
Registered Member

Return to Chatter