Hobbitfeet

Introductions and chatter

Hobbitfeet

Postby Oddley » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:38 pm

Hobbitfeet One of my recipes has been posted by you in the FAQ - Curing [Moderated] forum.

Even though you have been a member only a short time. You are a moderator and must understand the importance of copying over the whole recipe.

It is extremely dangerous to provide a recipe without usage rates. here is the full recipe. please remedy the mistake by coping over the recipe verbatim.

Oddley wrote:Bacon cure

Meat 10 kg

Sodium Ascorbate = 5 gm
Salt 2% = 184 gm
Sugar 1.02% = 102 gm
cure #1 = 17 gm (100 ppm)
Saltpetre = 2 gm (200 ppm)

Weight of Cure = 310 gm

Usage 31 gm per kg
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:55 pm

You are quite right, it was an oversight on my part, I had put the usage rates in, but at the end of the second recipe, as it applied to both recipes. The mistake was misleading and has been remedied. I hope you accept my apologies. :(
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:10 pm

That's all right m8. to be honest I don't want any newbie to be hurt through one of my recipes. It's a bit of a nightmare of mine.

Ok I'm visiting the trick cyclelist tomorrow....:)
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:15 pm

I understand your concern. I learnt curing from my grandmother some forty years ago...we simply slapped on the cure in those days with only experience to guide us, no real scientific knowledge. It's been a bit of an eye opener to follow the recent threads on just how careful we have to be these days.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Return to Chatter