deer in fridge

Introductions and chatter

deer in fridge

Postby Franco » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:04 pm

I was given a deer last week, it was shot on Sunday and hung and until Thursday, I have had the butchered meat in the fridge since then at work but can't freeze it until tomorrow, do you think it will be ok still?

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Erikht » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:11 pm

I would say Yes. You should smell it, but unless it smells bad, it should not be a problem. Game matures so slowly in cold temperature, that another day doesn't matter.
Erikht
Global Moderator

Postby Deer Man » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:28 pm

Franco, the venison will be fine, a total of 9 days sine shot. As long as it has been kept under refrigeration there will be no problem! Look at how many people pay more for beef that is hung for 2-3 weeks in the supermarket!

Erikht is right, use your nose! but dont confuse the smell of game with sour meat :evil:

What are you planning to do with it and will you share your recipes?
Safe Shooting, Good Hunting, Eat Well!
Deer Man
Registered Member

venison

Postby Franco » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:48 pm

As I've got a new baby due in less than 3 weeks I'm pretty busy at the moment so I'll probably freeze most of the meat for later use, I will probably make some sausages as I'm developing some game sausage seasonings for sale on the site.

I think I'll have a go at the gravmeat but will probably change the spices and make it quite sweet using ground coriander and allspice in the mix.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby TobyB » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:59 pm

If you are making sausage I recommend trying out Ericht's recipe that he posted (the one with the cassis in it) a while back. It is really delicious and I've now given some of these sausages to eight different families and the feedback has been unanimously positive (for which thanks again ericht credit was given in each case!)
TobyB
Registered Member

Postby Deer Man » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:57 pm

TobyB wrote:If you are making sausage I recommend trying out Ericht's recipe that he posted (the one with the cassis in it) a while back.

Please remind me what was cassis? I think it ws blackcurent syrup? I am going to try this this weekend. :wink:
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Erikht » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:40 pm

TobyB wrote:If you are making sausage I recommend trying out Ericht's recipe that he posted (the one with the cassis in it) a while back. It is really delicious and I've now given some of these sausages to eight different families and the feedback has been unanimously positive (for which thanks again ericht credit was given in each case!)

Yohoo!!

I made it again the other day, with more spices(more or less double). It was even better.
Erikht
Global Moderator

Postby TobyB » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:08 am

Deer Man wrote:
Please remind me what was cassis? I think it ws blackcurent syrup? I am going to try this this weekend. :wink:

Yup blackcurrent syrup it is although it is alcoholic. You can buy it in Tescos and other big supermarkets although if you can't get hold of any I imagine ribena would work almost as well.

Good luck with the recipe. I had some more of these last night and they are still lovely even having been frozen (although not as nice as when fresh).
TobyB
Registered Member

Postby Deer Man » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:48 pm

Found the cassis at Tesco, how much do you use?
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Erikht » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:10 pm

1/2 - 1 dl per 3 kg meat. I have found that sausages can be spiced quite heavy.
100 years of freedom
Erikht
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:59 pm

Cassis is soooooooooo much cheaper if you go to France - I was there last year ant it was 7e a bottle - yum yum hic yum yum
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Deer Man » Mon May 02, 2005 7:49 am

1/2 - 1 dl per 3 kg meat. I have found that sausages can be spiced quite heavy.

Erikht, what is a dl? I thought liquids were measured in millileters or ounces? :oops:
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Erikht » Mon May 02, 2005 8:06 am

1 liter(l) = 10 deciliters (dl) = 10 centiliters (cl)= 10 mililiters(ml).

So a bottle of wine, of 750 mililiters, is 75 centiliters, 7.5 deciliters and 0,75 liters.

Welcome to the joys of the metric system.
100 years of freedom
Erikht
Global Moderator

Return to Chatter