Introductions and chatter

just made great boerewors

Postby bern » Sun May 15, 2005 11:10 am

hello to all i have been away for awhile but back now

today the wife and i made 2kg cheese boerewors
2kg cheese and onion boerewors
1.5kg chillie boerewors
2kg garlic boerewors

the reciepes used were for tradional boerewors and i just added the other ingredinets in.

i have another 3kg mixture in the fridge waiting to be turned into droewors but i dont have the sheep casings so hopefully the local butcher has some casings.

the meat i prepared the day before with all the spices and left in the fridge. it made it so much easier when putting it thriugh the stuffer. i cooked some of the chillie boerewors and boy oh boy was it absolutely GREAT TASTING !!!!

well it will be a while before i make again as we are a small family and that should last us +- 3-4 months. but hopefully with theese sunny days that we are promised i will be making sooner!! :D
bern
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun May 15, 2005 11:26 am

Hi,

Post the recipe you used.

As for preparing the night before - I find the opposite. The mixture of vinegar and salt really makes the meat set, and more difficult to stuff. You may not notice it on hog casings, but you will on the sheep casings.

By the way - natural sheep casings are *WAY* better for droewors than the collagen ones.
aris
Site Admin

Postby bern » Sun May 15, 2005 11:54 am

i used the tradional boerewors reciepe that is on the site.
i then divide it up into the quanties that i want to make of each flavour and then just added chillie paste +-5 table spoons and made 1.5kg

the cheese i used very stronge chedder flavour cheese +-200g

the cheese +onion the same but with 2 medium sized onions chopped up

garlic i used was garlic in white vinegar and use 5 teaspoons[ this comes in a bottle]

i added the vinegar just before i actually started to stuff and not the night before

do you think that if i place an order with franco for sheep casings tomorrow that i will get it by tuesday/wednesday as i have that meat in the fridge waiting. just worried that the meat will turn off if i wait to long for the casings
bern
Registered Member

order

Postby Franco » Sun May 15, 2005 12:01 pm

Bern,

if you order before 11 am tomorrow the casings will go out on an overnight service.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby bern » Sun May 15, 2005 12:05 pm

thanks pm you
bern
Registered Member

Return to Chatter