Salami Sorrows

Introductions and chatter

Salami Sorrows

Postby Platypus » Fri May 27, 2005 3:12 pm

Well, it looks as though my latest batch of salami was just too late :(

They had been maturing nicely for the last two weeks, with the weather staying fairly cool they had developed a nice bloom of white mould but were a bit slow to dry, probably due to all the rain we have had.

But when I went to check on them this morning things were not looking so good. The green mould (usually just a few pin head size pieces) had grown considerably and there were several areas of fawn coloured mould developing. :cry:

I did a quick temp/humid check and found it to be 19C & 89%RH, which is obviously not good. I will leave the salamis for another couple of days to see what happens but I think they are only fit for the bin, especially as the weather is set fair for the weekend.

Oh well, I knew it was a risk making them this late in the season but had hoped to get away with it. I'll just have to either get hold of a cooling unit or wait til autumn for the next lot.
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri May 27, 2005 4:20 pm

Thats a pity Platypus.. I don't know anything about curing salamis but a rigorous search of the internet regarding molds on them all come to the same conclusion, which is to discard it. :(

I wasn't even aware that there was a season for making salami. I suppose it's all tied in with all that RH stuff.

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Fri May 27, 2005 5:28 pm

I have been moving a hygrometer and thermometer about for a few weeks and cannot find anywhere cool enough.............roll on winter
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri May 27, 2005 10:13 pm

I think the best way to do this would be to use a modified refrigerator - similar to what Len Poli and Jason Molinari have mentioned. I think one needs to speak to a refrigeration engineer to see if it can be done inexpensively.
aris
Site Admin

Postby TobyB » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:36 am

the green mould isn't a real problem although the fawn mould sounds dodgy.

I made a load about two months ago and they were fairly extensively covered in green mould. I just wiped it off with a cloth soaked in white wine vinegar. I have eaten them all with absolutely no ill effect although I did take the precaution of cutting a slice out of each of them and eating it before giving them to friends/relatives. No reported casualties to date!

I just incubated them in my airing cupboard with a tray of water underneath and then hung them in the garden shed to mature (stone shed though). Other than attracting a plague of mice (who couldn't get at the salamis as they were hung from string on a beam) absolutely no problems to report. The mice are currently being picked off one by one (7 so far!)
TobyB
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:37 pm

Mmm...

Mouse Salami, should go well with a bit of cheese :lol:
Platypus
Registered Member

Return to Chatter