Hog casings and sausages with a hole in them.

Introductions and chatter

Postby Oddley » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:37 pm

Paul with you're new 5kg reber you should have no probs with effort at all. They are good machines.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:43 pm

Oddley, yes unfortunatly I do remember the old Hovis loaf which shows my age - my god just how small were the sausages, a golf pencil?

Paul, two things, firstly my daughter and I would just like to say your web site is A1 and the music is spot on - go on have a look and secondly please could you let me know how you get on with the sheep doings I would be very interested in a second opinion.

Cheers Mark.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:17 pm

welsh wizard, my first efforts were small. Seriously I do hope by the end of the hank, I have managed better results. If not it will be the last that I buy.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:16 am

Welsh Wizard

I think it will be a little while before I buy the sheep casings as I have about 3/4 of a hank of Hogs casings in the fridge at present, and have ordered another hank which should be here by the weekend.

Talking of casings, I bemused the young postman the other day when he knocked with my parcel.. "ah! my intestines have arrived".. he cracked up.. thought I was joking.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:10 am

Firstly: I quite like the idea of sucking port through a chocolate finger. Unfortunatly I dont like port "would stella have the same effect :?: "

Secondly: Don't totally write sheep casings off, with abit of patience and time you will get used to them, and personally I think they make a better sausage. I cooked some somerset apple on the barbe last night and they where gorgeous I added a bit of apple for texture. They went through the tube without clogging and I only had one skin break out of a kilo of meat. I think Franco is an advocate of samples, as long as people don't take the p***, so maybe worth asking for a sample with your next order. I only use hog for black pudding now, this is maybe because i'm impatient and can't wait an hour for my sausage to be cooked.
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:45 am

Mmmmm.. Stella.. I have forgotten what it tastes like since the beer /lager ban... although I have put my foot down with a firm hand once the weather gets warm. The odd one shouldn't hurt.. gallon that is :lol:

Shaun
Was the somerset apple Franco's mix, if so I would agree with you regarding tweaking up the apple a bit to my taste, otherwise a very nice sausage. Might introduce a little cider or apple juice with the next batch.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:58 am

Yes it was Franco's
Cider sounds good will have to give it a try. Not enough alcohol in food, about 3 liters per kilo me thinks :D
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:24 pm

Hi Shaun, I dont like port much either but after the first bottle or two you seem to get a taste for it - I have never tried sucking larger through a chocolate finger but if you want to have a go!!!!!! You need to bite off either end first of course although it would be fun watching someone who didn't.

Re cider I had a go at a recipe posted some time ago calld The Three County sausage which consisted of Hereford Cider, Gloucester old spot and Worcester apples it was quite yummy. However I have since made different banggers adding cider on a number occasions but they dont really taste (or maybe my taste buds are shot), so I think I may have a go at apple juice as well - it should taste stronger.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:33 pm

WW
Maybe your right use apple juice, and drink the cider through a chocolate finger :D . Anyone know of a good strong tasting apple juice :?:
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:51 pm

Hi All

Sheep casing should be no harder to stuff than hog casing once you are used to it. Yes it is more tender & therefore you need to take a little more care when placing it over the tube, but after that provided it has been soak properly you should have no problems, however if there are small hole in the casing they will rip, also don't pack them too tightly. Make sure that you are using skins from a reputable source & ask for the calibration before you buy if this is less than 18 mm or the variance is too wide don't buy them.

Hope this helps
Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:10 pm

Hi all

As requested please find below the information regarding sausage casing length to sausage size.
Please be aware that these are approximate due to the calibration of the natural casings you will be using. If you are using collagen then there is no reason why you should not be able to achieve these figures or even better them.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:05 pm

Brilliant piece of information Sausagemaker, thanks for taking the time and effort to post it.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:14 pm

Thanks sausagemaker, I have copied your post into the FAQ
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:44 pm

Only to pleased to be able to help

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:10 am

Sausagemaker

As with Paul and Platypus - many thanks for all the work involved in getting the information together, I have put a copy in with my sausage maker for reference.

:D
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Chatter