methods of cooking

Introductions and chatter

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:50 am

Deb

My neighbour also liked my setup and asked me to help him build a similar one in his garden, but not attached to the house. This was despite my advice to build up against the house. The only problem with it is that if it rains, other than straight down, it enters under the covered pergola. If I were to build one away from the house, I would make 3 sides to it and just leave 1 open. This eliminates 75% of the rain / wind problem.

I have an established grape vine growing well underneath, a Persian Ivy (bigger leaves, and not so invasive as the normal ivy) and a passion fruit. Also have 6 bulkhead lights affixed to the rafters with various colour 25 watt bulbs. The foliage pretty much covers them but they glow through.. I think it's called 'ambient' lighting.. very nice.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:07 am

That is interesting - I didn't know that passion fruit grow well in this climate. Do you do anything special to get it to grow here?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Shaun » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:22 am

It's a different type of passion fruit grown mainly for the flowers. The fruits are small orange balls. You can eat the fruit but personally I wouldn't bother.
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:41 am

Aris,

Like Shaun, I would advise against eating the fruit.. I have tasted it and it's not like the nice black ones you buy.

The plant grows very easily here on the London Riviera.. I do nothing more than water it if we've had no rain. I have the variety with the blue flowers but have seen a similar variety with striking red flowers.

I seem to recall that the passion flower is so called because of the amount of stamens, leaves etc, something to do with the passion of christ... the apostles, desciples and holy trinity or some such thing.

How's that for a useless piece of information on a sausage forum :lol:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:07 am

Paul
Getting back on track. What is your prefured method of cooking them. :lol:
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:18 am

Shaun

My prefered method of cooking them is to sit down with a beer and watch the wife cook them, however this is not always the case :lol:

I oven cook them in a preheated medium oven for about 40 mins in a ceramic dish and discard the fat a couple of times during the cooking, or BBQ them with the rack about 6" above the heat, which I have set on low, for about 1/2 hour. With the lid off.

I think I prefer the BBQ method. I have tried with the heat set higher but found the casings more prone to splitting.

I do not fry them for diet reasons, but a friend of mine did fry them. Where I had made them very large, he said they were taking too long to cook and he split them down the middle and opened them out. He did say they were very nice still. Obviously cooking time depends on how thick you make your porkers.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:24 am

I wonder if putting a metal skewer through the middle whilst cooking would help speed the cooking process up? I know it works with jacket spud's.
I can't give it a try at the moment, as I only have thin sausages. But maybe someone could try it and feed back.
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:18 am

Wouldn't that be called a kebab? :wink:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:54 am

:oops: yeh never thought.:oops: So if you take the skewer out of a kebab it gives you a sausage :?: If that's the case why am I spending all this dosh on stuffers and things. :lol:
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:21 am

Shaun

That would be a sausage, but it would be one with a hole down the middle. That could be the answer to Welsh Wizards dilemma on another thread regarding filling his sausages and having a hole down the centre.. he could rename them to kebabs. :wink:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:01 am

Kebabs it is then

I suppose if I could perfect the true holy (!) sausage a range of fillings could be thought up to put down the middle of them. Totally out of interest, or not, I have just returned from an exhibition in Germany where not only were there a variety of different sausages being sold in the exhibition hall (their version of fast food I suppose) but they also sold the Americian Hot Dog. This consisted of a bread stick with a whole down the middle of it into which a sausage of some nafarious description was, well, injected into it. Not only that but evidently according to a mate it you wanted it with ketchup and mustard this was already impregnated into the roll - YUM YUM!
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:09 am

Welsh Wizard

I have seen a similar thing they do in the states ( on TV) whereby they remove the middle from a long bread roll and insert the sausage /hot dog.

Used to do that with a half a crusty loaf and fill it with chips.. no wonder I am dieting..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:18 am

In South Africa you get something called a Bunny Chow which is basically half a loaf of unsliced bread, with the non-crusty middle bit taken out, and filled with curry. Its sort of a peasant/workers cheap fast food, and is quite yummy.
aris
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:07 am

WW

I think you must have seen something like the link below, did they really call them hot dogs & not Frankfurters?. as for the sausage with a filling down the centre, I'm afraid this has already been done but got pulled from sale due to consumers suing manufacturers because the filling was hot & burnt there mouths, I had a similar complaint with a burger with Swiss cheese & Mushroom sauce inside, we had to put a warning on the box stating contents may be hot once cooked, they were bound to be hot they were raw & frozen when bought.

http://www.caterkwik.co.uk/shop/39/81/

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:41 am

I saw a simular thing to them on Skegness market last summer for a tenner. One prong to make the hole in the bun an a steamer at the side to warm the so called sausages.
Shaun
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter