curing different cuts

Introductions and chatter

curing different cuts

Postby Helen » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:56 am

I have been using loin pork the type used for boneless loin chops for curing with Franco's Smoked dry cure bacon mix with mouthwatering results :D but due to being diagnosed with IBS anything with fat on it is now a big no no :( but I'm missing my bacon :roll: :roll: so I was thinking of trying to cure a pork tenderloin anyone tried this? any suggestions welcome
Helen
Helen
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:31 am

Helen

I have a similar complaint to you and now keep my fat and dairy intake to a minimum. I still eat bacon occasionally though, albeit the commercially produced type. I just remove all the visible fat prior to cooking, with no ill effects. If it were me I would carry on as before but take the time to remove the fat prior to cooking. Just make sure it doesn't dry out too much during cooking, depending on how you like your bacon of course. If I have roast lamb, I leave the fat on during cooking to gain the flavour then remove the skin and fat and let it cook for another 30 mins to let the fat run out. It seems to work. Just a shame to throw away the tastiest part of the meat.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Helen » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:03 am

Thanks Paul
I've suffered with "Problems" for years but after being told by my then Doctor that there was nothing I could do & I would just have to get on with it :shock: I sort of have done & its only recently that I've done some research into it (IBS) that I realised that there is actually a lot I can do! :lol: I never knew about "trigger foods" etc I now understand why I can drink a glass of skimmed milk without any probs but whole milk will give me gut cramps within 15 mins :oops: its the fat content! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment I've read so much info that my head feels like a blender on full speed :? my diet needs a complete overhaul :(
Helen
Helen
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:57 pm

Helen,

Although I've not tried doing a tenderloin I can see no reason why it wouldn't work. In fact because there is no fat or skin on it the tenderloin should cure more quickly and evenly than belly.

The only problem may be that it will dry out a bit during cooking since it's got no natural basting fats. But I guess dry bacon is better than no bacon :)
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Bad Flynch » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:25 pm

Here in the U.S., cured and smoked pork loin is known as "Canadian Bacon" or "Canadian-Style Bacon." It is a real treat, especially when made at home, with the concomitant improvement in flavor over the commercially made item. It is excellent in Eggs Benedict and just plain old eggs and Canadian Bacon (along with fried spuds) are a treat, too.

Use a relatively mild cure on this mild meat and smoke with either Hickory or Apple wood or pucks. A little spice in the curing liquid could do wonders, too.
B.F.
Bad Flynch
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:35 pm

Tenderloin is something different here in the UK - this is the equivalent to the Filet Mignon of pork.

"Canadian Bacon" or "Back Bacon" as it is known here is made from "Loin".
aris
Site Admin

Postby othmar » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:09 pm

My comment to the topic here is two fold.
First. Tenderloin is very well suited to curing and tastes beautifully when done properly. In Switzerland we have a dish called "Kasseler Rippen" which is made with cured and smoked pork loin, sauerkraut or red boiled cabage and roasted baby potatos. This is an absolute delight.
My recomandation is to dry cure pork loin by rubbing the curing on to the meat. (If required I will send the interested members my personal pork loin cure recipe). Care during the curing process, one to two weeks, is very important. The loin should be turned over at least every tow days. If possible I recomend to smoke the pork loin in medium heat, this will add a flavour unlike any other you ever tasted.
Second. Some forum members here mention IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) , at least that is what I asume you are refereing to. Sufferes of IBS still can enjoy fatty bacon. Just make sure you are training all the fat from the frying pan. If you go the extra length and lay the bacon strips out on to a kitchen paper towl, this will mop up the last of the fat, and lastly just eat a little less of it. Instead of 5 strips eat just two and not more than two servings per week.

Sincerely
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Helen » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:46 am

Thankyou Othmar :D
Yes you are right in thinking IBS!
I could not get hold of any tenderloin yesterday so am trying something else, Loin Eye! which is loin without the "Tail" bit, he trimmed off all but the thinnest layer of fat just to keep a little moistness in it so having prepared it yesterday I look forward to eating it at the end of this week :D :D :D
Helen

P.S Paul, I bought a nice shoulder of Lamb yesterday to cook as you suggested :)
Helen
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:07 am

Helen

I bought a small piece of loin yesterday 1kg, and couldn't believe the lack of fat, about 1/8" if that. I boned it and skinned it, was going to cure it yesterday, but never got round to it. I will do it today. When he cut me the loin I noticed that the kidney was still attached. They did go through a spell of removing them, think it was during BSE, foot & mouth or one of those epidemics. I did still notice there was NO trace of spinal chord through the backbone, so I think they are just being careful still.

Hope you enjoy your lamb :wink:

Isn't it ironic, but we've got 'an eye of loin' for todays dinner.. no fat at all fo will need monitoring, I may roll it in some dried herbs with a little oil first.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Helen » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:15 am

May I suggest searing it in a hot pan before you put it in the oven it may just seal in a bit of moisture! I've got a fan oven here (would not buy another one!) & they tend to dry things out if in the oven a while so I always sear my joints etc first
Helen
Helen
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:35 pm

Helen wrote:May I suggest searing it in a hot pan before you put it in the oven it may just seal in a bit of moisture! I've got a fan oven here (would not buy another one!) & they tend to dry things out if in the oven a while so I always sear my joints etc first
Helen

Hi Helen.

Unfortunatly the fan oven was designed by someone who most likely never baked or cooked in his life.
I recomend to put a small dish of water at the bottom of the oven. That should take care of the moisture. I do that with all my bread baking and meat cooking in my normal oven.
On another note, you are right, I recomend very strongly that all meat destined for the oven should be seared (sealed) in order to lock the moisture in the meat.

Regards
Othmar
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:33 am

Isn't the general consensus of opinion (backed up by experimentation) that searing meat does not lock in any moisture. Googling 'searing meat moisture keep myth' certainly says it is. It does add a nice flavoured crust though.

Back to the topic of curing pork loins it's something I'm keen to try so if anyone wishes to post a recipe they've had success with I'd be most appreciative.

Cheers
Josh
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:03 am

Josh wrote:Isn't the general consensus of opinion (backed up by experimentation) that searing meat does not lock in any moisture. Googling 'searing meat moisture keep myth' certainly says it is. It does add a nice flavoured crust though.

Back to the topic of curing pork loins it's something I'm keen to try so if anyone wishes to post a recipe they've had success with I'd be most appreciative.

Cheers

Hi Josh.

How moist meat will turn out depends a lot on what cut of meat you use but also how the animal has been raised and finally what breed of animal the meat comes from.
A pice of meat which is trimmed of all fat and comes from a cut which is sheer meat such as the denderloin will sertainly be drier than a cut from the neck or shoulder.
If the animal has been grown naturally and given time to fatten up all the meat will be more moist after cooking than the meat of an animal that has been "pumped" up in a couple of month.
With all respect to science, but I always treat it with caution. Never noticed that scientific result can be read the way so it pleased all? The vegetarians use science to prove that meat is NOT healthy. The butcher trade uses the same science to proof that meat IS healthy. And so I could go on about many subject.
However, personally I always relay on commensense and experience which come from the facts and not experiments.
It is a fact that when you sear meat that the outer layer closes its cells due to extreme heat (it shinks). Do do so the pan or grill has to be extremly hot and the searing has to occur within seconds on all sides.
If you, as I read once in a cook book, sear meat by leaving it several minutes on one side and then turn the meat over, it will be useless. The reason is that the meat will heat from one side and push the moisture out the other side, a bit like squeezing out a sponge.
To sear meat properly the searing has to happen fast, shoking the meat. Searing has to happen on all sides within seconds. As soon the searing is done turn down the heat to a normal cooking temperature. The meat has to be constantly turned so it can cook on all sides equal. Cooking the meat first on one side and then on the other is not good.
I have been grilling steaks for more years then I care to count and never had I dried out steak, pork or beef.
I am fanatic about meat and concidered a huge meat lover but it has to be done right to take my fancy and one way for me proven by experience has been to sear the meat first.

Regards
Othmar
othmar
Registered Member

Return to Chatter