curing salt

Introductions and chatter

curing salt

Postby Franco » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:55 pm

from tomorrow you'll be able to buy all purpose nitrite curing salt from the store, it is sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate mixed with salt and replaces the salt and saltpetre or cure 1 or 2 in recipes.

ie if a recipe calls for 45 grammes of salt and 3 grammes of saltpetre replace both ingredients with 45 grammes of curing salt.

This curing salt has been specially blended by my supplier and will take the guess work out of curing, it is also safer to use than using pure saltpetre or cure 1 or 2

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Bad Flynch » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:01 pm

Very much like Morton's Tender-Quick. Lots of my old recipes call for a mixture and my old text materials report a more satisfactory cure with the combination product (nitrate+nitrite).
B.F.
Bad Flynch
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:04 am

Franco,

Do you have the percentages of nitrate/nitrite in this product?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:06 am

Franco that's great if it will cause more people to be interested in curing. Is the amounts of Nitrite and Nitrate going to be a secret as in the bacon cure.

This sounds to me like a Supacure clone. But even that has the Nitrite, Nitrate and salt percentages clearly labelled on the packet.

For the people who are perhaps a bit more advanced, I hope you will continue to sell Saltpetre, Cure #1 And Cure #2.

The reason being for certain formulations nitrite alone is called for, in sausages for instance. This gives a quick overnight cure with a rapid reduction of nitrites.

Also Air cured ham has to have a reasonably high concentration of Nitrate up to 700 ppm with a 200 ppm of nitrite ingoing amount And perhaps 3.5% Sea salt. how would you work that out with this new cure.

Franco as you can see the new cure will be a welcome addition to an arsenal of tools.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:54 pm

I am intending to use Franco's chorizo mix to make soft chorizo but will also try curing some. Would I go for cure #2 or will the new curing salt replace this? I ask because the chorizo mix is a complete mix and I would imagine does not need added salt.

Grateful for any advice.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:53 pm

Paul go for cure #2.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:30 pm

Thanks Oddley, that's good enough for me.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

curing salt

Postby Franco » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:37 pm

Paul,

curing salt is aimed at the novice curer or perhaps someone without the means or inclination to measure small quantities of cure, if you are confident enough to use the cure 2 you will save money and will be able to follow recipes more accurately

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Return to Chatter