Pork Supplies

Introductions and chatter

Postby othmar » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:23 am

Paul Kribs wrote:... Especially if Othmar is able to produce diagrams pertaining to joint cuts etc. It can be quite a fussy procedure to get it right, cutting in the right place for best yeild etc.

I will have to give the storage problem more thought, and a proper butchers saw will be forthcoming in the near future I feel... I don't feel a normal hacksaw would be man enough for the job. I already have a Victorinox boning knife, a slicing knife and a small Jachaw cleaver, all honed to a razor edge but don't like to use the cleaver as it leaves small slivers of bone and that is why I took up making my own sausages in the first place, to eliminate biting into bone hard tendon and cartilage. Obviously I can take more time than a commercial butcher to prepare my meat.
With the meat I bought on Saturday I went through it about 5 times to remove slivers of bone. I had noticed about 4-5 chopper marks on the ribs and experience told me there would be slivers of bone in the meat. Happily my meticulous preparation produced a good end result.
If my storage problem can be resolved and I purchase the 1/2 pig and butcher it maybe we can get together if you do decide to get one possibly assist one another. Or could it be the blind leading the blind. :lol:

Regards, Paul Kribs

Hi Paul.

The bone chart is in the works as I write this. I am told by my Honey that it will be ready to go the web site in two days.
I agree with you. A hacksaw is no tool to cut bones. You should invest in a proper bone saw. Once I saw a farmer having a go at a beef carcass with his chain saw, that is not a good tool either.
Unfortunatly you are right, many meat cutting places do not have the time to take proper care in the meat cutting and neither do they have properly trained staff. And so we end up with splinters in the meat.
All my professional life I only ever used a bone ax to split animal carcasses in half, but since we now have electic splitting saws, I use them to split. I never felt any need or use for a meat/bone cleaver.
I cut only with knife and saw.

Regards
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:54 am

Paul speaking as a total amateur, when I butcher a 1/2 pig I use a tenon saw as a bone saw. It does the job for me.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:39 am

Oddley

I own many saws, due to my carpentry hobby and a few are a bit worn now. I could give it a go. Don't really want to use one of the hardpoints as I reckon bone would do a bit of a job on them, and I do like them nice and sharp.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Pork Butchery

Postby Kaleb » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:08 pm

The MLC publish an excellent booklet (free to butchers/farmers/chefs etc or those claiming to be) 30 pages long titled 'A guide to Innovative and Versatile Pork Cuts'. I would post some scans but I'm not sure how to do this on this site.
The book covers primal breakdown of the carcase giving exact details of where and how to cut to produce leg & chump, middle, and fore end. Each primal cut is then given a secondary primal breakdown chart and instructions. The treatment of the leg and chump is particuarly good as is the prep of the shoulder block.

The 'phone number of the MLC is 01908 677577 or you can write with a request for a copy to:- Marketing Dept, MLC, PO BOx 44, Snowdon Drive, Milton Keynes, MK6 1AX.
Kaleb
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:01 pm

Kaleb

Thanks for the info, I have emailed them and will await a response. Sounds a very helpful booklet.
I printed Oddleys meat cut diagram and a few others as well on card and have laminated them for easy cleaning.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Kaleb » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:40 pm

Paul,

I have just found the correct 'phone number and e-mail details:-

To receive a Guide to Innovative and Versatile Pork Cuts, contact the MLC on 01908 844 114 or E-mail foodservice@mlc.org.uk

For loads of illustrated step by step cutting guides for all meat follow this link:-

http://www.mandpn.co.uk/features/featur ... =photolist

Some of the instructions are far too brief and technical but others are quite straight forward, particuarly when you have the meat in front of you! The August guide on leg and chump of pork is excellent. Hope this helps all aspiring butchers (we certainly need some decent new entrants in the UK as the Tescos of this world are killing them off!)

Regards,

Kaleb
Kaleb
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:54 pm

Kaleb

Thanks for the link, very good and relevant site, have added to my favourites.
I shall wait a few days for a response from MLC on the email address I used and then use your MLC email link to contact them.
I now feel confident enough to tackle half a pig with reasonable accuracy. Obviously pending Othmars diagrams for cutting. As I say it is a complicated business borne of experience. I seem to recall phrases such as "2 fingers in from", and "feel for the??" maybe I am being too fussy.
Just need to address the fridge/ freezer storage problem.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:24 am

Kaleb

Thanks once again.
The booklet has arrived and it is brilliant, very informative. A 'must have' for anybody thinking of attempting to butcher a 1/2 pig.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby robin » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:43 pm

Paul,

I think you are right it would be the blind leading the blind. But to be fair you would seem to have a pretty good idea what to do. Good luck.

Robin
robin
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:07 pm

Robin

I feel very confident now that I have collated the relevant information, and despite it being a very long time ago, believe I would not have a problem in preparing the carcase.

I have even put a very basic pictorial walkthrough.. step by step, on my website for anybody interested in having a go, along with a skeletal diagram with bone terminology and a cut diagram.

Still got the problem of a lack of storage though.

regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Pork Supplies

Postby janedouglas » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:09 pm

If anyone is interested, I keep a Gloucester Old Spot cross Large Black Sow which I put to a Large White Boar, and fatten the offspring for pork or bacon.

My pigs are free range and are fed naturally on a mix of cooked finings consisting of oats, barley, wheat, maize, soya and peas. They do not have any growth promoters or antibiotics or any other additives apart from a salt lick.

I take the pigs to the local abatoir where they are jointed/minced to customers requirements. Collected fresh from Alford, Lincolnshire sides of pork are �2.87/kg (�1.30/lb).

The flavour of the meat beats anything you can buy at a Supermarket or Butchers - in my opinion and others that regularly buy the meat.

Delivery may be possible but I work part time so collection is preferable.
janedouglas
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Chatter