5KG Reber Sausage Stuffer Review

Introductions and chatter

5KG Reber Sausage Stuffer Review

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:39 pm

Today I got the chance to use my sausage slogan prize, kindly donated by Franco.

Until now I have been using a 3 KG Hungarian plastic stuffer. I am well pleased with its performance. It has a single speed rack and pinion drive, comes with 3 filler tubes and a clamp for securing it to the table / worktop. This in itself was a bit annoying inasmuch that when clamping, it would leave an indentation on the underside of my Iroko table, Nobody can see it but I know it's there. Could have used a wooden buffer but never did.

Now the Reber. What a fantastic piece of kit. People on this forum said I would be pleased, and I am.
I made 4 different kinds of sausage from 2 shoulder joints, 2 blade joints and a piece of belly.
The first noticable difference to what I am used to is the weight. The Reber oozes quality. It is a well made machine, mainly of metal. The majority of it is stainless steel. It has rack and pinion drive and comes with 2 speeds. With my single speed there would come a point when I had to invoke my leg once per revolution, but on the Reber low gear I did not have this problem. I could manage it easily. The torque is just right.

It seems a case of getting what you pay for, although this was a freebie. Having used it I would not hesitate in buying one. It comes with 4 filler tubes and these are a fair bit longer than I am used to, they were a nice addition inasmuch as I only had to load them with casings twice, normally it would have been 4 times for the 4 mixes. The taper of the fillers is quite a bit 'slower' so the casings seemed to flow off a lot easier. Also, the amount of mix left in the base of the main body when the piston reaches it's maximum, is a lot less than with my plastic one. I unscrewed the filler and poked the rest of the mix into the casing with the handle of a wooden spoon, thus utilising all the mix for sausages. When bringing the piston onto the mix, it was easy to 'wiggle' the body up and down against the piston prior to locking it, to expel air, thus eliminating any surprise casing explosions.

Cleaning it between mixes was a bit more cumbersome than my plastic one, but it is a lot bigger and heavier, and was expected. All in all this is a very efficient piece of sausage making equipment.

I will keep my redundant plastic stuffer as a spare, although judging by the quality of the Reber, I doubt I will need a spare.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:06 pm

Mind you Paul shows a generous spirit that you got the stainless steel Reber.

Well done Franco!
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:29 pm

Absolutely... my sentiments exactly mate

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:47 am

Paul
I find that when filling sheep casings or a stiff mix, it is a good idea to fix a g clamp on the back to stop the machine lifting. So if you intend to do these it looks like the poor old Iroko gonna get it again.
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:54 am

Thanks Shaun

I will be pepared. I note there are a couple of holes in the base of the stuffer. I could use these holes to secure it to a solid board that extends out from the back end, I could then use one of my 'soft' jawed clamps to hold it in position. No more indents to the table.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:58 am

Sounds like a plan. I'm sure you can knock something up having witnessed you woodworking skills on you site :wink:
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:33 am

Hi Paul

I have just put an order in for a Reber 5k from Franco that I understand is a little shop soiled, and I was wondering now that you have used your Reber a couple of times is there any update to your original posting?

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:52 am

Welsh Wizard

I believe you have made the right decision to buy the 5kg Reber (especially at that price.) :wink: There is not update to my review, it is a superb piece of equipment. Obviously when you get your one you will give it a good wash, don't forget to undo the piston face with an Allen / Hex key and 'wash behind the ears'. Particles of mix do tend to work behind it, as they did with my Hungarian filler.
After using the FW to stuff, you will be amazed at the difference, especially the low gearing. When you get home from the pub you will cuddle it.. :lol:

I have ordered some sheeps casings from Franco to use with the Reber small filler nozzle, will let you know how I fare.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:14 pm

Thanks Paul

Yep really looking forwrd to a good stuffing, dont know about giving it a cuddle when I get back from the pub - tried that once with the wife - I wonder if the Reber can lock you out of the house and hide your fishing rod as well as stuff caseings? Good to hear you are going to have a go with the sheepy bits - I have ordered some also. Well surely you cant be a Welsh Wizard unless you have an afinity with the wooly wonders.

Look forward to hearing how you got on.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Return to Chatter