is tips out there for using sheep casing

Introductions and chatter

is tips out there for using sheep casing

Postby bern » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:18 am

is there any tips out there for using sheep casing because the last time i used them they kept on spliting.
bern
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:29 am

Bern

I have just received my first consignment of sheeps casings and should be making some sausages with them hopefully this saturday. I shall use a slightly softer mix than normal, but will let you know the results. I don't think there will be a problem so long as they flow off the filler nozzle easily.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:21 am

Hi Bern

Like paul said keep the mix on the soft side, I would also keep the casings as wet as possible, look out for any burrs on the filling spout also try to fill at a constant speed.

Hope this helps

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Diann » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:50 am

And don't over fill them!

Diann
Diann
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:56 am

bern
Not sure what stuffer you have but all the above apply. It is usualy a good idea to put some veg or olive oil on the stuffing tube. Also find a pace that suits you "less haste more speed :wink: " I also stop at short intervals and move the casing further down the stuffing tube. When linking treat you sausage like your women gentle and slow is the way to go. As you get more profitient you will naturaly speed up.

Hope this helps
Shaun
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:43 am

Which stuffer are you using? I've never had a problem with skins bursting, though it sounds like they are not coming off the tube smoothly enough.

Try to keep your skins in water up until the last moment, and then feed them onto the tube and stuff right away. I find that if they stay on the tube too long, they start drying out and don't come off easily.
aris
Site Admin

Postby othmar » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:32 am

Most of it has been addressed well here.
Sheep casings are much softer that hog or beef casings.
The trick is do not stuff them to firm.
Keep them in hand warm water during the work.
Another problem could be that they where not salted properly or where to old.
Sausage casings loose quickly on strenth when not salted properly or if re-salted to often.

Let me know how your next patch of sheep casing sausages went.

Regards
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:39 pm

I will endorse what Aris says about keeping them wet. Today I used sheep casings for the first time. I felt that I was led to believe I would have them split/burst etc. Nothing could be further from the truth. I did not have a problem with them, although I didn't link them. I used a normal mix, didn't over soften it with an extra amount of water.
The one thing I would say is that water is the best lubricant for allowing the casing to flow properly from the nozzle, so after saoaking flush them through just prior to putting the casing on the nozzle. I did leave them to dry slightly between mixes and they became drier and would not flow. Easily remedied by flushing through again. I found them as good as hog casings. Also try to cut them to the appropriate length for the amount of sausages being filled as it takes quite a lot longer than with hogs, and water retention appears to be the key.

Hope this helps

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Return to Chatter