Pigs available!

Introductions and chatter

Pigs available!

Postby Ubarrow Peter » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:35 pm

Pigs available in a week or so!

Middle White / Kune Kune cross - very nice carcase, will probably be killed at around 60kg.

To be collected from near Jct 36 on M6

Special price (as I've got too many at present!) �1 per Kg (live weight) plus �20 per pig. Therefore 60kg pig = �80 or �40 for a half.

That's a really good price for a rare breed pig.
Ubarrow Peter
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:42 pm

Peter
Welcome to the forum. Roughly where abouts are you?
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby Franco » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:30 pm

Underbarrow by any chance?
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Hobbitfeet » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:42 pm

Hi U. Peter,
I'd be very interested in a carcase or two...please keep us informed. How many carcases will you have available?
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:02 pm

A bit to far for me, maybe would be easier for Franco or Sausagemaker. hobbitfeet, you could walk it on a good day Just follow the wall :)
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:31 pm

Verrrry interested - where are you exactly (ish)
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Re: Pigs available!

Postby othmar » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:26 am

Ubarrow Peter wrote:Pigs available in a week or so!

Middle White / Kune Kune cross - very nice carcase, will probably be killed at around 60kg.

To be collected from near Jct 36 on M6

Special price (as I've got too many at present!) �1 per Kg (live weight) plus �20 per pig. Therefore 60kg pig = �80 or �40 for a half.

That's a really good price for a rare breed pig.

What a shame I do not live closer to you, I would buy them all at that price.
Here in Canada I pay Can.$ 2.60 per Kg.

Regards
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Ubarrow Peter » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:10 am

Franco
Not in Underbarrow, although I know someone who is (The Sansoms with their Sandy Black's) I am in Longsleddale - North of Kendal. My house is called Ubarrow Hall.

The pigs will be available for collection from Denneys abbatoir at Levens - which is about 3 miles from jct 36 on the M6

I have 11 in the litter and will have betwen 5 and 7 pigs for sale. At present they are between 30 - 40 kgs. Remember my price was for LIVE weight. With the �20 - which is the slaughter cost - you will probably be paying about �2 per kg

Looking through the posts I see some people enquiring about courses in sausage making. our local agricultural society sometimes puts on courses and has good facilities for hosting them. The usual problem is to find a tutor who will share their knowledge to a full extent. Local producers often keep a bit back as they (naturally) don't want to give away all their secrets!
Ubarrow Peter
Registered Member

pigs

Postby Franco » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:50 am

Peter,

Can you give me a few indications on how the pigs were raised, feed, indoor/outdoor etc.

I will take a couple off you and can collect as I go to Grange every couple of weeks or so.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Ubarrow Peter » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:53 am

They are housed in an old cowshed and have access to a yard linked to a small field in which they graze and root.

They are fed on standard pig nuts with the very occasional scraps from the house. I try not to overfeed them as this breed can lay down too much fat if you are not careful. They are fed twice a day.

They can be examined live if you want too (in fact you can buy some like this if you wish) If you wanted to "put your name on" a couple then you are welcome to pick which ones you want.

I have found that they need to be killed at around 60kg to avoid too much fat but this is with chops etc in mind. I thought of tring a couple at, say, 80kg to see how that worked out for "wholepig" sausages.

I run a small sideline selling coked sausages from a barbeque. At present I get a local butcher to make them for me so I don't know a lot about the ideal pig for sausages. I suppose that if you are making "wholepig" sausages then the extra fat would be OK?
Ubarrow Peter
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:04 am

Hi U Peter

We used fat sows for sausage making so I would not worry too much about going to 80 Kg.
As for the sausage making course I am more than willing to lend a hand & pass on my knowledge in this field. I live in Brampton near Carlisle so Kendal is not too far for me. PM me if your interested in setting something up.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Ubarrow Peter » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:27 pm

Hi Sausagemaker

What is your background in Sausage making? And would you give up your secrets!!!!

If there was a course then it would probably be at the Westmorland Agricultural Society HQ near Crooklands.

(I should make it clear that I don't represent the society in any way)

Also, would Franco be interested in attending/tutoring/displaying equipment etc?
Ubarrow Peter
Registered Member

sausage making course

Postby Franco » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:38 pm

I am asked almost daily when I am going to organise a sausage making course :lol:

I had planned to run a couple in the autumn here in Bolton at the local catering college and will be anouncing dates in the next couple of weeks, I would however help organise any other events if required.
Regards

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:21 pm

Hi U Peter

I have been making sausage for almost 20 years, & whilst the people on this site don't like supermarket sausage - most of it was or has been developed by me along with most of the catering company's & cash & carry's, I am now employed as a technical sales manager & look after quite a lot of sausage makers. Whilst I will Not divulge any information relating to their business I am willing to undertake the basics of sausage making.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby TobyB » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:37 pm

Hi Sausagemaker,

can you answer a query for me. Tesco finest pork and apple sausage splits really badly when cooked. I assume that this is because they use dried apple which expands rapidly on contact with the cooking juices as my home made ones using fresh apple don't split at all.

Similarly the pork and leek from the supermarket give you wind and taste slightly bitter whereas home made ones do neither.

I understand that using dried vegetable ingredients extends shelf life for supermarket sausage but would be very interested to hear if this a) correct and b) the reason for the splitting (I imagine the wind is a personal matter!!). The apple ones are ridiculous as they almost turn themselves inside out when cooked under a grill and end up looking very unsightly (and they are rather sweet but I guess that's just pandering to Jo Public's tastebuds)

Many thanks

Toby
TobyB
Registered Member

Next

Return to Chatter