Franco??

Introductions and chatter

Franco??

Postby deb » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:27 am

Is Franco around at the moment? I haven't seen much from him lately and I sent him a pm a couple of days ago which hasn't been answered so was wondering if he's away on holiday or something.

Thanks.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:33 am

Deb

Yes, Franco has been about, I had PM from him as a response this week, and noticed he was logged on here earlier today.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:35 am

I too am waiting for a reply to a PM I sent some time back.
aris
Site Admin

Postby deb » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:56 pm

Thanks guys.

I've tried sending an e-mail now as well incase he missed the pm.

Sorry Franco, but I have found communication between myself and you or your staff a little difficult a couple of times, not great when all I want is some info so that I can order some stuff.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

rely

Postby Franco » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:08 pm

Deb,

I've PM'd you.

Aris,

I have asked Steph to send you the full list of ingredients.

Paul,

I missed the postman this morning so couldn't sign for the item so they'll try again tomorrow.

Regards

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:33 pm

Franco,

Can you tell me what percentage of salt your sausage mixes have? That will help me determine how much mix to use per kilo of meat. If I like 1% salt, how much mix should I use per kilo (Italian & Sardinian mixes).
aris
Site Admin

salt

Postby Franco » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:32 pm

Aris,

all the mixes have different amounts of salt but generally they are around 30 -40% salt. I recommend 20-40 grammes of my seasonings per kg of meat but it's ultimately up to you.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:21 pm

Franco, if you were making the Italian or Sardianing sausages, how much would you personally use per kilo?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Franco » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:37 pm

Aris,

I would try around 20 grammes first then add more according to taste but as I said it's upto you :lol:

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:44 pm

Aris

If it helps, I would say the only ones of Francos sausage mixes that err towards the salty side are the cumberland and the old english, in my experience. All the others, without exception I have found good, at the end of the day actual taste dictates what you like. I always use the top end of the scale at 50 grms per kilo of meat/fat.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:44 am

Thanks Paul.

I do tend to like alot of spice, but not alot of salt. Judging by Franco's post, it would seem that a 40g spice mixture would be OK on the salt side. I'll probably make some this weekend.
aris
Site Admin

Postby aris » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:00 pm

I made the Italian mix using 40g per kilo. They tasted good, but I did find them a bit saltier than I usually like.

IMHO, it would make more sense to not mix salt into the sausage mixes, and let people add their own to their own taste.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:24 pm

Aris

I made 2 kilo's of the Italian on saturday as one of my batches but have yet to taste them. I will post my findings when I do.
I believe that the mixes do vary a bit. I have just taken delivery of some more Cumberland mix and note it doesn't look quite the same as the ones I used before, not so pink and showing more spice. I maybe wrong but as they seem very popular amongst my pals then I should find out quite soon if they are indeed different. I've an inkling that maybe it's where the batch settles in transit before packing to the customer.

Will let you know, but may be a few weeks as I still have some of the others left yet.

I made some of the traditional mix for someone at the weekend and managed to retain 1 good sized sausage, which I BBQ'd (along with other sausages). The wife and I had 1/2 each, and it is the first time we have tasted it on it's own, superb. I normally use it as a base for other ingredients, but will now make sure I always have some to hand. Made sure I tasted that one first as one the others was a Jamaican Jerk Pork with Mango Chutney Gutbuster (11" sausage, 8 1/2 ozs). Quite a bit of heat, but with the sweetness of the chutney, really nice.

I will be trying the Dopiaza Curry ones tomorrow. I find Franco's mixes generally very good.

Has anyone any news about the burger marinal samples yet? Have nearly run out of burgers and need to make a batch.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Return to Chatter