The order's been placed

Introductions and chatter

The order's been placed

Postby Josh » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:00 am

Hello

Not a true introduction as I posted in the recipes section before.

Yesterday I finally got around to ordering a stuffer, some skins, some rusk and some cure #1 which I've been threatening to do ever since I found this site 6 or 9 months back.

I used to make sausages (or at least control the machine) when I was about 8 as my grandad was a butcher and ever since I've always been a bit of a sausage connoiseur. I think the porkert stuffer is going to be a bit of a change from the huge cast iron thing with foot pedal power switch I used back then but I can't wait to get going.

I've got the cure #1 in too so some bacon and toulouse sausages (your recipe Oddley if you're reading this) will have to be made somewhere along the line. Have also got my eye on the Bradley smoker if ever I move somewhere with a bit more room (currently in a tiny flat in central london) but first things first. No point in smoking the sausages until I can make them well.

Anyway, hello. More posts to follow once I get started.

Joshua
Josh
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:20 am

Hello Josh

I use to use a small Fleischwolf hand mincer when I first started and got good results. It coped amirably with smaller batches, then I started making larger batches and even though it still coped, it was very time consuming. Although it didn't have a filler nozzle so I bought a small stuffer. The Porkert should cope OK. One session start to finish took me 10 hours, but I did make a lot of sausages in 4 varieties.

I find this forum invaluable for guidance, hints and tips etc, sound advice and usually a rapid response.

Let us know how they turn out.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:37 am

I've only got a small freezer so making loads and storing isn't really an option either. I see myself making a kilo max at a time. Mincer wise I've got a Kenwood chef with the mincer attachment which has always worked well for other mincing.

I'll keep you all posted on results.
Josh
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:16 am

Welcome Josh
I started with a porkert, but have now moved to a reber 5k. The porkert is ok but you need somewhere solid to fix it to and arms like Arnie to push the stuff through.

Regards
shaun
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby phillmypintpot » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:28 pm

Hi Josh.

Probably a bit late, but were you aware that you can get a sausage filling attachment for the kenwood chef mincer? just search "sausage" on e-bay. There are usually quite a few.

Anyway, good luck, let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Phill.
string is a very important thing,
rope is thicker but string is quicker.
phillmypintpot
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:33 am

I made my first sausages with my new kit.

Took some propertions from a thread on here then fiddled around with some seasoning recipes and a bit of maths and put them together.

Recipe was

540gr lean pork
180gr pork fat
100ml iced water
60gr rusk
13.5gr salt
1.7gr white pepper
1.7gr black pepper
1.7gr nutmeg
1.7gr ground coriander
8gr sage

Here's some photos.

Even if I say so myself I was pleased with the results.

Unfortunately I manged to drop a teaspoon in my mincer and kill it so I've now got to buy another one of those before I can make some more.

Josh
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:46 am

Nice results Josh.

R.I.P. mincer.
Is the Porkert not a mincer then? If it is then why not use that for mincing the meat, a bit more work but OK for small batches.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:10 pm

No it's the porkert stuffer unfortunately. It was my own silly fault sticking a spoon down the top to try and get about 1/2 oz of meat out. Fingers were greasy so it slipped out of them making the 1/2 oz of meat cost at least �20. :(
Josh
Registered Member

Postby Jonty » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:54 am

Bad Luck Josh!

Better a tespoon and a broken mincer than a working mincer and a missing finger though :)
Jonty
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:06 am

Definitely. With the mess it made of a teaspoon I definitely wouldn't want any aoppendage of mine down there.
Josh
Registered Member

Return to Chatter