A few firsts

Introductions and chatter

A few firsts

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:26 pm

I have just had a go with my new (ish) 5k Reber - it is brilliant but you do have to remember not to put the casings on the nozzle with the end tied before you start to move the handle and build up the presure - my kitchen wall is a lovely shade of pork and stilton now, and didnt the wife split her sides laughing, well no!

What an easy bit of kit to use, it makes stuffing such a doddle for the larger quantities and although the wife now wants to know when I am going to give it another go (wants to invite her friends around to see the splatter gun) the speed in which it stuffs means I get out of her hair even quicker. It is very robust and well made and although I am not too sure what the largest nozzle is for, it will be fun finding out.

The second first was using the sheep casings. They were not difficult to use and although I did have a few splits, I will most certainly use them again. Out of interest they did not seem to colour up when cooking in the oven for some reason. Possibly they dont give as much colour as the hog. I am sure someone will tell me.

Paul, out of interest you were right to suggust moistening the mix a little it did make a difference to the ease in which the sheep casings were stuffed. cheers.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:31 am

Hi WW

You said that the sheep casing did not colour up in the oven, was this a different mix to the one in the hog?
If so you may find that you have some dextrose or sugar elements in the seasoning for the latter.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:20 am

Welsh Wizard

Having used the Reber a few times now, I will run through how I set up.

I remove the main body for filling with the mix. I fill it with large handfuls of mix, pushing it well down the body and ensuring no air pockets remain, this is a bit long winded but worth it. I then replace the mix body onto the base but do not lock it. Next I take the soaked casings and give them a quick flush though with water from the tap. I do this to ensure the inside of the casing is completely wetted and flows over the nozzle with water as the lubricant. You will find that not only do the casings flow on the nozzle much quicker but they trap some water and allow the casings to flow back off. I put the winder on the low gear spindle and as I slowly wind it in I 'wiggle' the body up and down. You can hear the air escaping. The further it goes in the more 'wiggle' you can acquire until it reaches a point where you can slightly raise the body enough to wind continuously up to the mix, then lower and lock it on. I have noticed that if there is any air left between the plunger and the mix, as you let go of the handle it will bounce back, but if all air is expelled it will not bounce back as there is a vacuum/suction created. Only now do start to wind the mix through the nozzle until it only just protrudes the end. I then pull the casing forward and overlap about 2" and squeeze any air out of the tip. Then I hold the casing together with thumb and forefinger and start to fill, after about 3"- 4" I release the thumb and forefinger so I can guide the filled casing. Note I have not tied a knot. I initially stopped tying the knot when I had a bad experience with a large air pocket, as it allows the air pocket to escape rather than decorate the walls. The friction of the mix against the casing will take the casing off the nozzle as it demands it. I now get a nice even sausage this way.

No doubt others will have their own sequence, but this suits me fine.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:55 am

Welsh Wizard, the largest nozzle is for the larger casings as used in Salami, Mortadella etc.

I don't recommend allowing your wife's friends to watch the sausage making process unless you want to be the subject of much tittering and sausage innuendo. (You could always threaten them with the large nozzle though.) :D
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:28 am

Paul thanks for the info I will try your method - do you fill your stuffer to maximum capacity? I know exactly what you mean re the handle coming back at you becasue it was at this point, and with a little more pressure, the walls became the largest frying pan in the world :oops:

Spuddy re letting the girls in to have an oggle, possibly I should sell tickets and collect lots of blue beer vouchers :idea:
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:40 am

Welsh Wizard

The capacity depends really. Generally if making 3 or 4 types I will limit it to just over 2 kilo's but have gone down to a kilo, and have gone up to the full 5 kg. 2 kg gives me 4 lbs for packing and freezing, and a few 'butchers perks'.
Believe me, WW, use the method I have outlined and you will get no surprises and you may even see that rare phenominum of women stumped for words. They will be suitable impressed with your sausage handling capabilities :lol: Maybe have a quick practise run first mate :wink:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Return to Chatter