Help With Curing Ingredients

Introductions and chatter

Help With Curing Ingredients

Postby deb » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:28 pm

I'm lookinkg through the main site and getting myself a list together to order. I was going to get some cure#1 (which I still am) and also some cure#2, BUT I noticed the All Purpose Curing Salt and took a look. It seems I can use it to replace saltpetre or cure#2 in recipes. Seeing as I have a mixture of recipes which use either saltpetre or cure#2, and the fact that I'm a complete dunce when trying to interchange one for the other (Oddley is very helpful to me here, thanks), I'm thinking I might well be better off using this a/p curing salt.
What do you think, should I go in this direction or should I have saltpetre (already got some) and cure#2 to hand? Any opinions welcomed.

Thanks.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:46 pm

deb I think probably the curing salt will be better for you. If it is as easy as the literature says, then you will have no problems converting you're recipes.

As I know very little about it, this is supposition based on the description.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby deb » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:05 pm

Thanks Oddley.
The description makes it look nice and easy doesn't it? If it is that simple I really do think it's the way to go for me, it'll stop me having to bother you for conversions!
I'll probably phone my order in when I sort it out so will have a chat, I assume with Steph, and sort it out then.
deb
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:11 pm

deb it's no bother at all. Keeps my brain from stagnating.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby deb » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:47 pm

I'm quite torn on this one.
I think I'll have a good look through my recipe collection and decide.
As I use recipes posted by others they usually have the cure ammounts included so as long as I have cure#1&2 and saltpetre on hand I should be o.k. I think my problems arise when I try substituting cure#2 and saltpetre for each other (as I have no cure#2 at the moment I try and use saltpetre to be more accurate).
Thanks for your help here Oddley, hopefully if I go along the seperate cure road I'll have them all to hand and won't need to substitute so I won't need to bother you.
deb
Registered Member

Return to Chatter