Some Sad News

Introductions and chatter

Some Sad News

Postby BriCan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:45 am

There comes a time in everyone’s life when all things must pass. We all it seems too progress along life’s road oblivious what will come to pass, as youngsters we do things with reckless abundance living life to the full and some of us on the edge not caring of what might be. Others are afraid to take the plunge but that’s what makes up this great world.

Within this diverse world we all make acquaintances much like ships that ply the vast oceans; there are trips of over nine months long where there is no contact or the times that there are fleeting contacts then there are contacts that are lifelong.

So was my meeting with Wallie a long time member of the forum for over five years. Our first contact was May of last year when the all the talk seemed to be about ‘Maple bacon’ and all the towing and frowing of the mess it makes. I tossed out the offer of some maple sugar that I used and Wallie took up the offer

June of last year while he was in Canada visiting his daughter Wallie and I hooked up on the phone and talked for an hour or so, he told me about his background of being in the Merchant Navy thus making a bond between two people who had a lot in common even though there was a ten year difference between us and him being my senior.

There seems to be a big bond between people who ply the waves and a strong comradeship that lasts a lifetime, we talked about the fun times as well as the bad times. One of Wallies was being <quote> half pissed in Rotterdam and lying in my bunk smoking and caused a fire on the ship to make matters worse it was a BP tanker alongside the oil jetty. <end> I saw a Shell tanker in Cape Town blown and burned out so knew where he was coming from, mine seems trivial [though just as bad] compared what his could have been.

We have been talking back and forth on different things as well as some of the projects that he shared on the forum the latest one was on the Palma style ham as he knew that I had done some a few years ago boneless style.

On Monday of this week I received an email from Wallie and in the subject line was RE: Palma style ham, I had only just got into work and the first thing I do is check my mail in case any of my customers have placed orders. Upon spotting the email from Wallie I assumed he might be having a problem, sad to say that was not the case.

The email was from Wallies computer but the author of the letter was Wallies daughter with some very sad news, it seems that my very good friend and comrade passed away on the 8th August

The begging of the year Wallie was making plans to make his early trip out to Canada when he took sick and there seemed to be no cure the doc came up with something that was working and thing was right with the world once again so if things went right he was rescheduling for a September trip as well as a side trip out my way.

I am only sorry that Wallie and I did not meet as we had so much in common, with that said I do cherish the time we spent together via mail and will look back with very fond memories.

Phil; thank you for letting me do this as at this time with family matters this has been hard to work trough.

Wallie; fair winds and calm seas, may the wind be always at your back I’ll miss you mate.

Robert
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:47 am

Sorry to hear that. :(
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:32 am

A familiar voice in the forum silenced. Here's to you, Wallie.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby kimgary » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:35 am

Another soul safely gathered in.

Farewell Wallie

Kindest regards Gazza.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby Kuma » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:52 am

Sad to lose such an enthusiastic charcutier, always seeking the knowledge to produce the best possible.
Kuma
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:52 pm

Nice post for Wallie. Its neat when people that are so far from each other can become friends.
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:03 pm

Robert

Thank you. I'm so sorry to hear that Wallie has "crossed the bar" as I believe you seagoing blokes say. He often contacted me about cures etc.

My condolences to his family

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Massimo Maddaloni » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:33 pm

I am sorry, Robert. Maestrale to you friend and to all of us.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Maddaloni
No one knows more than all of us (quoted from Zulululu)
Massimo Maddaloni
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Very sad indeed.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:16 pm

My condolences to his family.

A fine tribute Robert, thanks.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Ianinfrance » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:20 pm

Robert,

Thanks so much for your valediction. Just as they should be personal and affectionate. I felt closer to Wally thanks to your words.

If you can, please give my condoleances to his family.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Yannis » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Very sad news :(
Yannis
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 pm

Lovely post Robert, such a shame the reasons behind it. We'll miss you Wallie, you were an inspiration, not just in sausagemaking but in the way you embraced a new technology to follow your hobby even though your computer fought you tooth and nail at every step to keep you away from us.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:30 pm

Thank you for the post Robert,

My condolences to his family.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby dave zac » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:46 pm

Fare thee well Wallie. Flights of angels sing thee to rest.

Condolences to the family.

Dave
dave zac
Registered Member

Next

Return to Chatter