Now I Have My Sausage Mixes...

Introductions and chatter

Now I Have My Sausage Mixes...

Postby deb » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:01 pm

...how exactly do I use them?

I have just received my mixes but I'm a bit unsure about how to use them.
I have the Breadcrumb Mix and the Organic Mix, both of which seem to have breadcrumbs in (not surprising with the Breadcrumb Mix but I'm not sure if the Organic Mix does, it looks like it) but should I add any extra breadcrumbs and how much liquid should I add?
The other mix I have is the Bratwurst Mix. This appears to be a spice/herb mix with no added breadcrumbs. I intend to make some Hot-Dog/Frankfurter style sausages with this one, emulsifying the meat in the food processor and I'll need to look at a few published recipes to see if I need to add any breadcrumbs.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:07 pm

Deb

On the label it says 20 - 40 grms per kilo of meat/fat. I generally use 50 grms per kilo of any of Franco's mixes. You will find that the cereal in the mixes will tend to absorb the moisture in the meat and stiffen it straight away, and I would say if using only 20 grms per kilo, I would not bother adding extra liquid. When I use 50 grms per kilo I also add 25 grms of rusk along with approx 85 grms of water/liquid. I like to keep the fat content down a bit and find the method I employ makes a nice end product. I have substituted other liquids ie, guinness and cider/applejuice when making other varieties of sausages, and these are boiled down as a concentrated reduction.

I find now that I do not weigh the liquid but add it to the mixture little by little until it feels right, and it normally is right. Also, when adding wet ingredients like apples, prunes, softened leeks etc I cut the liquid down to about 25 - 30 grms per kilo, but keep the cereal content the same. After mixing all the ingredients I leave to stand for about 15 mins, feel the texture again to see if it needs a bit more liquid. I found that with a stiffer mixture I tended to overstuff the casings, which made linking very difficult.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby deb » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:31 am

Sorry for such a slow reply Paul, somehow I lost sight of the post.

Thanks for such comprehensive info. I think even I'll be able to get something good from this.

If Franco, or perhaps Steph, should look at this thread, could you please confirm, or not, that the organic mix does indeed contain breadcrumbs?

Thanks.
deb
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:30 am

Deb

I find that the traditional mix is ideal to use as a base for adding your own extra ingredients, wet and dry, it also makes a superb sausage on its own.

I am unable to comment on the organic mix as I have not tried it. I do not use organic meat so haven't purchased the organic mix. I would be interested to know how it tastes, whether it is different to the traditional etc. I will purchase some just to try the flavour.

Although I have the Bratwurst mix I have yet to try it, and I will try it just as soon as some freezer space becomes available.

I made some more burgers yesterday and took up the little bit of space I had. I noticed my neighbour firing up his BBQ and offered him a couple of 'freebies' to try. Both him and his wife said they were superb.. full and meaty with no 'bits', although I was trying out a commercial seasoning mix. They were 75% lean beef with 25% belly pork. After those comments me and the wife had to try some, and we both agreed they were very good. I am looking forward to when Franco starts supplying his burger mixes, especially if they are to the same standard as the sausage mixes.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:04 pm

Hi, I will go along with paul and we use the mixes at the top end of weight suggestion 40g/kilo, and always need a bit of liquid as it slightly too stiff if not. We've tried the Bratwurst, Thai, Indian, Breakfast, Sardinian, and the Mexican and used the top level 40grm in all. All these bangers we've made beats anything else we've bought, especially in the thinner sheeps casings on the BBQ.
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:25 pm

Nice one Wilf,

I go slightly over the top with the mixes at 50 grms per kilo. I am selling a few to friends and neighbours and they extoll the taste virtues. I actually mix the sausages to my own taste and do them for me, if they want to purchase some it is up to them, it's not a business, it's a hobby.

I have had 'no' complaints thus far, and if they buy some then it helps pay for the outlay. I tell them I do not sell them but they can have some and they cost �xxx per pound to produce, if they wish to compensate me. It has become a bit of a bind over the last few weeks due to the warmer weather and BBQ's, and I shall curtail it otherwise I will have pressure to produce and cut corners to comply, and then I would be back to square 1, and the reason I took up sausage making in the first place. I actually work a full week. I make a sausage with 'no' dodgey bits and people enjoy them..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby deb » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:00 am

I'll be giving these a go in the next couple of days.
I have a vecuum packed piece of shoulder, I'm going to cure a bit in Franco's bacon cure (probably add some smoke powder to it) and the rest will be minced with some back fat for sausages. I'll probably make a small ammount of all three, most likely using the sheeps casings I bought (as long as I can get to grips with them).
deb
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:14 am

Deb

Don't be put off using the sheeps casings, in my opinion they are no different from hogs, just use a slightly looser mix. I found also that they link very well, a lot easier than hogs. A bit more time consuming when weighing and packing as there are 2 to 3 times the amount of sausages.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:59 pm

Deb, you'll be fine with the sheeps casings, we found them easy to stuff and link, problem I had was after unravelling some to soak they tried to tie themsleves together while soakoing, giving me an unravel puzzle before I could flush them thro............back to boyscout days of knot untying
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:11 pm

Deb,
I was complaining bitterly about sheep's casings. But as with all things they become easier . I found my problem with them was, I hadn't soaked them for long enough.

I only soaked them for a couple of hours the first time, I used them. After that I soaked them overnight and they were fine.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:30 pm

Sometimes I forget to soak them, or decide to make sausage on a whim. I find that if I soak the casings in warm water several times, and flushing well several times too (also with warm water), they are OK to use right away.

Soaking overnight is best though.
aris
Site Admin

Postby deb » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:48 am

Thanks guys.

It looks like I'll be making the sausages tomorrow so I'll get the skins into soak tonight. I'll make the mix a touch looser too.
deb
Registered Member

Postby Twoscoops » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:20 am

That is good advice - I only ever soak casing for a few minutes. I'll try doing it overnight next time.
Twoscoops
Registered Member

Return to Chatter