Brawn

Introductions and chatter

Brawn

Postby raptorman » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:50 pm

Hi
I have just made my first brawn, with half a head from a side of pork, ( The rest of which will be smoked or turned in to sausage's ) The brawn
did'nt turn out to bad, But there is room for improvement. A pig breader friend of mine has offered me all the heads i want, As they throw them away. I feel it my duty to help with this problem (shame but some one has to )
i was wondering if anyone had a good brawn recipe, or any other recipe's for pig heads.
Your help would be appreciated as my wife is trying to reclaim the fridge
raptorman
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:45 pm

Hi raptorman,

I hope the thread below will help in the quest, to help the farmers in your area, and keep female hands from the rightful domain of the male.

My wife has just read this and screwed her thumb down. So raptorman's wife I'm sorry.

http://www.britishfoodfortnight.co.uk/c ... nlast.html

Bath Chap

Eadles Bath Chaps are pigs cheeks taken from our own outdoor reared Landrace/Duroc Pigs. The pigs cheeks are cut off, pickled in Brine for 2-3 weeks, then soaked in fresh water over night then the next day put into a cooking bag and then boiled for 3-4 hrs. Leave to cool in the fridge, skin them off and roll in bread crumbs. Serve cold with salad or slice thinly and fry in butter for an usual delicacy. "Bath Chap" may originate from Bath although we are not sure. Some restaurants in London use Bath chaps.

below is a thread that discusses this, and might shed more light on the subject.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... highlight=
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:00 pm

Hi raptorman

Please find recipe sfor brawn below. The first is from a book called "Everything in the larder" by David Maybey ISBN 0-563-36024-0
And the remaining from a book called "Farmhouse Fare" from Farmers Weekly ISBN 0-600-33509-7

Makes about 2 Ib (1 kg)
1/2 pig's head
2 teaspoons (2 X 5 ml spoons) black peppercorns
1salted pork hock
2pig's trotters
1 teaspoon (1 X 5 ml spoon) cloves
2 bay leaves
1 sprig each parsley, thyme and sage
Get the butcher to split and prepare the pig's head for you. Wash it well, together with the hock and trotters, then soak overnight in a bowl of cold water. Drain off the liquid and put the meat into a very large saucepan with all the other ingredients and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer for about 4 hours until the meat falls from the bone.
Lift out the head, hock and trotters. Remove any bones, skin and gristle (save them for the stock) and chop the flesh into small, neat pieces. Skin and slice the tongue to give variation in colour and texture. Pack the meat into a dish or mould, leaving enough space at the top for the concentrated stock.
Put the bones and trimmings back into the cooking liquid in the pan, bring to the boil again and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain the stock and spoon a little of it over the meat to form a glistening layer on top. Leave to cool, then press under a weighted board for 24 hours. Store in a cool place and eat within 3 days.

By - PRODUCTS
ABBEY FARM BRAWN

TAKE half a pig's head, which has been salted for 3 or 4 days. Soak for 1 or 2 hours in water and wash all the salt off. Cook gently in just enough water to cover, with a few peppercorns added, until the meat can be slipped easily from the bones. Remove the rough skin (the fine skin may be left on, particularly if it is a young pig); and skin the tongue.
At the same time, but in a separate receptacle, cook an old fowl�no matter how old�in water to which has been added 1 medium-sized onion, 1 or 2 leaves of parsley, 1 small tea-spoonful of salt, \ teaspoonful of pepper and the giblets. Boil very gently until the bird is thoroughly tender; and while still warm, cut up the meat in neat slices, removing all the bones, and using the breast meat to place in the bottom and sides of the moulds or pie-dishes.
Place a layer of pig meat next, and alternate with fowl until all the meat is used up; seasoning with pepper to taste between the rows. This quantity fills 2 large pie-dishes or 3 moulds. Mix the 2 liquors the meats have been cooked in, and strain it �this will make a clear jelly�and with it fill up the dishes and leave in a cool place to set.
The secret of the goodness of this dish, and the attractive appearance, lies in the very slow cooking (so that the meat has no trace of "ragginess"): and in the separate cooking of the meat to retain the distinct red and white flesh.
From Mrs. C. Harrison, Bedfordshire

BRAWN

INGREDIENTS: Half of a pig's head pickled. Thoroughly clean the head, then put to soak overnight in cold water. Next, put into a large pot, cover with cold water, and bring to the boil. Pour off this water, rinse head and pot. Return to pot along with 2\ quarts of cold water. When at boiling-point, remove any scum that rises and add a blade of mace, 3 or 4 cloves, bunch of herbs, and a teaspoonful of white peppercorns. Simmer gently for 4 hours.
Strain off the stock from the head and allow to become quite cold, when it will jelly. Remove fat from jellied stock. Take out the tongue, skin it, and cut it into neat square pieces, also trim all the meat from the head and cut into small cubes. Put the meat into a basin and add enough of the jellied stock to make it a nice consistency. Allow to get cold and almost set. Have ready some small bowls and pour the mixture in. When set and firm, turn out. If brawn is preferred without so much stock, put the mixture into a cake-tin with a movable bottom and only enough stock to moisten it. Put something flat with a weight on top. Wrhen well pressed, turn on to a dish and serve garnished with parsley.
From Miss Christian Milne, Aberdeenshire.

GRANNY MORGAN'S BRAWN

CLEAN a pig's head and soak in brine for a few days. Before using, wash in clean cold water. Boil until the meat drops from the bone. In a separate saucepan cook the liver, heart and tongue, until very tender. Strain the stock in which the head was cooked, then turn this stock into that in which the remainder of the meat was cooked; add to it 6 black peppercorns, and an equal number of whole cloves, and boil until it is reduced to 1 pint. Strain again, add 1 cupful of good vinegar and re-heat. In the meantime, chop the meat or put it through the mincer, add seasoning of chopped onions or sage if desired. Add salt and pepper if needed. Pack into stone crocks, pour the stock over it, cover with a plate, weight well, cover with a cloth and set aside for a week before using.
From Mrs. Jones, Shropshire.

MY OWN RECIPE FOR BRAWN

THE day we cut up the pig, I bring together all the pig's A head which has been cut up and the trotters. I have ready by my side a good-sized crock and a good supply of crushed salt. Then I rub each piece well with salt and fit them as neatly as possible into the crock. I leave it like this for 2 or 3 days. I then wash all the pieces in cold water and place in a big boiler, covering them with water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 3 to 4 hours until the meat leaves the bone.
Lift all the pieces on to a large tray (a crock will do) and leave liquor to cool. Mince all the meat in a large bowl and add to this 8 medium-sized onions, minced; 2 tablespoonfuls dried sage and pepper. Add salt according to taste.
Remove fat from the surface of the liquor. Strain liquor into a crock and have boiler free from all tiny bones. Then replace 4 quarts of the liquor into the boiler and add to this all the mixture in the bowl. Place over fire and simmer for about 15 minutes, turning frequently. Have ready about a dozen good-sized basins and pie-dishes; fill them with the mixture. Leave till cold. When turned out it looks a lovely glossy jelly and tastes delicious with apple sauce.
From Miss H. Slaymaker, Carmarthenshire

Hope you find these of use
Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby raptorman » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:23 pm

Oddley and Sausagemaker
Thanks for your replys
Iwill give them ago soon.