Pigs available next week

Introductions and chatter

Pigs available next week

Postby Ubarrow Peter » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:09 pm

Hi Franco (and others)
The middle white kune Kune cross pigs are available next week. They will be killed on Tuesday and can be collected any time that week, from Tuesday afternoon. I have 3 pigs available at various weights. There will be 5 pigs in this batch and you would be able to pick which ones you wanted.

The rest of the litter (11 in all) will be going later and will be a little too fat by then, but OK for sausages.

Price is �1 per Kg (LIVE WEIGHT) plus slaughter fee of �20.

Please get back to me and I'll arrange contact to sort out details.

Peter (near Kendal)

NB I hear you have got a Fuji S3. A super camera - I've got the S2.
Ubarrow Peter
Registered Member

pigs

Postby Franco » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:14 am

Pete,

I'll try and collect a pig next Wednesday, could you meet me half way? If you would like any sausage equipment let me know and I'll bring it then and we can have a deal :lol:

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Hobbitfeet » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:18 pm

Hi Pete,

As mentioned earlier, I would be interested in a carcase, if one is available. Please PM me with contact details/whereabouts of the abattoir.
Thanks
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:33 am

Well, the carcase was picked up - the Kune Kune parentage was obvious in the head conformation and the little dangly bits under the jaw (what are they called?) They are relatively small animals but what flavour! I roasted a half saddle after marinading it for a few hours - the aroma was so rich that I had to lock the animals out of the kitchen. If any more of this cross are available, I will certainly like more. I can thoroughly recommend them. Thanks Peter, you've done a good job on the pigs. :D
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Franco » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:42 am

I'm glad you liked it Hobbit, I'm due to collect mine later this week :lol:

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Ubarrow Peter » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:56 am

Thanks Hobbit, glad you liked it.

We found the last batch were also a good flavour but had a little too much fat. These have been on a slightly more restricted diet for the last month and seem to be better carcases.

Francos have had an extra week with a bit more feed, so these may have that little extra fat covering - I'll be interested to see.

We've also kept 2 pigs back to keep feeding until early September as we have a sausage event then (Westmorland County Show) and always prefer to have fresh sausages rather than frozen.

Franco, I'm taking 4 pigs tonight, they will be ready Tuesday afternoon. I'm picking up about tea time and will leave you a nice one. Alternatively, if you can get there sometime between 2pm and 5pm then you can have your pick.

Peter
Ubarrow Peter
Registered Member

Postby Franco » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:08 pm

Peter,

I collected the pig this afternoon, my cousin's farm is at Meathop and he knows the Denny's so I went with him, happy with the pig and Andrew cut it in 2 for me to make it easier to move :shock:

I've just spent the last 2 hours jointing it and preparing the sides for bacon, I am going to make Parma ham with the 2 legs, brawn with the head and salami with the rest. I'll keep you posted.

This is some of the meat I'll use for back bacon.

It's a little fatty for some people but I don't mind it like this.

Thanks again

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:15 pm

Franco

I look at it as flavour first, fat and dietry restrictions second.

I'll wager that is tastey pork.

Enjoy it.. Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Return to Chatter