Pork Supplies

Introductions and chatter

Pork Supplies

Postby janedouglas » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:06 am

If anyone's interested I produce Free Range Pork which is naturally fed (without antibiotics, growth promoters or any other additives) from rare breed pigs (Gloucester Old Spot x Large Black Sow to a Large White Boar.

My pigs live outdoors all year round, they have barns and brick buildings to sleep in and roam in the field as they wish. They are fed on a mix of cooked finings consisting of oats, barley, wheat, maize, soya and peas.

I take them to the local abbatoir where they are jointed/minced to customers requirements. Collected fresh from Alford, Lincolnshire; sides of pork are �2.87/kg (�1.30/lb).

Delivery may be possible but I work part time so collection is preferable, this is just a hobby - one of many - that is how I came across this site decided to have a go at sausagemaking.

First attempt was not successful didn't bother to put the water in! big mistake, dry as old boots and saltly as well, haven't put skins on them all yet, so going to add apple and cider today to the mix to hopefully improve it.
janedouglas
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:53 pm

Welcome to the forum Jane, you'll find us a helpful bunch. Shame about the pigs, they sound an interesting cross but Lincolnshire is too far for me.

Good luck with recycling the sausage meat! :)
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:23 pm

sounds interesting are you north or south lincolnshire?
Shaun
Registered Member

Pork supplies

Postby janedouglas » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:06 am

Shaun wrote:sounds interesting are you north or south lincolnshire?

Hi Shaun, I'm mid-way between Grimsby and Skegness on the coast, which is more North Lincs.
janedouglas
Registered Member

Return to Chatter