Hey Sausagemaker!!

Introductions and chatter

Hey Sausagemaker!!

Postby pawclaws » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:39 pm

When I was a kid and just getting into camping I always took with me a can "tin" of bacon which I believe was manufactured in Holland. I have now been looking for this product some two years without success. Do you know if it is still available :?:
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
Instructor of Cooks and QM, Mosby's Raiders
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:44 pm

Hi pawclaws

Try the link below, whilst not canned it's still cooked & Ready to eat
http://www.kraftfoods.com/om/bn/c_Produ ... SBacon.htm

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:35 pm

You might already know this but according to my research, canned bacon is no longer available in the states. Apparently it came from Hungry.

Here is an idea for you for camping, partially cook some bacon (cooked through but not crisp) put it in a jar then fill the jar with melted lard. This should keep, for a number of weeks.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:07 pm

Hi all

Another way to have the cooked bacon for camping would be to place the rashers in a vacuum bag seal & steam cook.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby pawclaws » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:08 pm

All viable alternatives. Thank you all. I wonder why the canned bacon is no longer available in the US. That Celebrity brand is the very brand I remember using. It was very messy to deal with; but, myself and my cousin were always the only Scouts in camp with freshly crisped pan fried bacon with our eggs, toast and fresh hot coffee! For onereason or another it was only found in the "off brand" or "overstock" stores where the mainstream consumer never seems to shop. Anyone know how I might "legally" acquire the canned product. For those of you who may not know it is very good or very terrible. About one of six cans as I remember would be nothing but shreds; almost impossible to use. The rest were of excellent quality and very good flavor. :D
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Postby David. » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:52 pm

Phil,

You can still buy canned bacon in Canada. It is made in Poland. The best brand used to be "Plumrose" However I have not seen that brand in years.

David.
David.
Registered Member

Postby pawclaws » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:30 pm

Thank you David! I have used Plumrose canned hams; although not in years.
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:47 am

I wonder why the canned bacon is no longer available in the US.
An interesting question, I had never known that it existed. I did some nosing around the net and found an article in "Nutritional Health Review", Summer 2002 pub. It's two pages long, so here's the link:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0876/is_2002_Summer/ai_90161446
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby pawclaws » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:12 am

Very interesting. I thought it might have had something to do with nitrates.
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:54 am

As with anything, one should be properly skeptical about opinions and info found on the internet, as this information was, though the other articles that I found about canned bacon still pointed back to the FDA and irradiation guidelines. Irradiation of food is still a big issue, and will probably be for a long time. You might check out canned bacon sources from other countries and see how they do the preservation.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:01 am

By the way, I was looking at your website, nice job with the content. Breakfast burritos are awesome.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby pawclaws » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:48 pm

Thanks TJ! Appreciate the kind words. I sent an inquiry to the Department of Agriculture, Federal Trade Commission, and FDA. I'll keep you posted. In the meanwhile I'll be tracking down manufacturers.
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Postby pawclaws » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:16 pm

Well nothing back from the "officials" yet but I did manage to find an e-mail address for Plumrose of USA and inquired of them. Still nothing to report other than a confirmation that canned bacon no longer appears with the Plumrose product line. :(
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Postby pawclaws » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:29 pm

Just received this response from Plumrose!

Date: 09/13/05 10:44:13
To: pawclaws1@juno.com
Cc: Tami Minutillo
Subject: RE: Canned Bacon Inquiry

Dear Phil:

Thank you very much for contacting us and for expressing your interest in our canned bacon, which we produced back in the early eighties.

It was a great product. Very high quality. The raw material was the Danish Land Race Pig which is a much leaner pig then any other pig and consequently the bacon had more lean then fat (as opposed to bacon manufactured in this country which has more fat than lean). The leanness of our bacon, as well as the brine in the tin, gave the bacon a unique flavor. I know people who would eat it right out of the can without cooking it what so ever, because they loved the taste so much.

All this quality also made the product very expensive. The sales volume to start with was not very much and when the raw material prices escalated in Europe, resulting in higher prices for the product here in the US, the volume dropped to just a couple of container loads pr. year. This unfortunately is not enough to keep a production line running which is supposed to run 8 hours a day 11 months pr. year.

I was surprised to hear that Celebrity still sell the product in Canada as it was my impression that they too had completely stopped production.

Anyway, I am sorry that I am not able to help you with canned bacon. All I can do is to suggest that if you go camping or hiking or fishing or boating or anything or anywhere you might need to bring along shelf stable canned meat, that you consider our DAK or Plumrose shelf stable canned hams.

Again thank you very much for contacting us.

Kind regards,

Ole E. Knudsen
Vice President canned meat & specialty products

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 9:57 AM
To: Ole Knudsen
Subject: FW: Canned Bacon Inquiry

Tami Minutillo
Plumrose USA, Inc.
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
Tel: (800)-526-4909 ext. #361
e-mail: tminutillo@plumroseusa.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 8:48 AM
To: Tami Minutillo
Subject: Canned Bacon Inquiry

Ohio Camp Cooks
www.ohiocampcooks.org

There appears to be significant interest in "Canned Bacon!" One of my friends in Canada says that he used to purchase this under your label. I used to use this product packed under the Celebrity label. I can not find the product in the US at all and he tells me that the Celebrity brand produced in Hungary is still available in Canada; but the Plumrose brand of canned bacon is no longer available. Can you tell me why this stuff is so impossible to find? Do you still manufacture this and distribute to other countries? If so, how may I acquire it?

Thanks for your time and patience.

Phil Foreman
aka/ pawclaws,
Cpl Kass Irons, CSA

Come visit at www

.ohiocampcooks.org or http://ohiocampcooks.proboards19.com/index.cgi

Real nce of Plumrose to reply so quickly I thought! :D
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Postby TobyB » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:00 pm

Shame that they don't make it anymore though!

I guess you'll have to make your own. Mind you that means you'll be needing one of Franco's vacuum packers........... (franco do we get commission when we cross sell your products like this :lol: )
TobyB
Registered Member

Next

Return to Chatter